New Guy--Long Island Sound--Norwalk--who bottom paints around here?

General boating discussion
Shoo

New Guy--Long Island Sound--Norwalk--who bottom paints around here?

Post by Shoo »

Hi all,
I jumped in and bought a Suntracker pontoon boat from Bass Pro. Mean to keep it in the salt all summer, and I mistakenly assumed they would prep and paint, but no. Rex is a decent shop around here and they said no too. Uncomfortable with the painting and also the launching of a pontoon since I didn't buy a trailer and just figured to have it hauled every year. Like I said, I jumped without considering all the angles :banghead:
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Basically anywhere from Milford CT to Larchmont NY could work
Marc
Chtucker

Re: New Guy--Long Island Sound--Norwalk--who bottom paints around here?

Post by Chtucker »

Most pontoon boats are made from salt water compatible aluminum. Prepping a pontoon boat for bottom paint has to be more difficult than a moohull boat, probably why they are reluctant.

I have not lived in the area for a long time, but I grew up in Norwalk/Wilton. I still visit my parents a few times a year.
welderbob
Donator ,15

Post by welderbob »

You could check withe the harbormaster (Capt. SAl) in New Rochelle NY. He should be able to point you in the right direction.Basically clean /profile the surface ,a quick acid ,and a few coats of epoxy and a non copper bottom paint.
welderbob
Shoo

Post by Shoo »

Thanks, I think I found a guy. Will let you know how it all works out in a few weeks
Shoo

Post by Shoo »

Found the guy: Bob Mills, New England NON ALLOY Repair. It came out great and he was a breeze to work with.
I'm the tri-toon zipping around the Norwalk Islands
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic