Hi From Palmer, Alaska

Introduce yourself here
AlaskaGuy

Hi From Palmer, Alaska

Post by AlaskaGuy »

I hope I am doing this correctly. I recently acquired a Gregor Sea Hawk Series 4 18.5 ft. boat. I am slowly bring it up to a useable standard. Not in bad shape but neglected. Your forum is providing me with badly needed advise. I have contacted Gregor boats and they have been helpful. They are still in business and not out of business as I have read on some other sites.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Hi From Palmer, Alaska

Post by kmorin »

AKguy, welcome to the AAB.com Forum focused on aluminum boats; we're all interesting in pictures of project boats. Formed skiffs like the Gregor, Lunds and Starcraft offer some challenges unique to their construction process and they're often made of alloys not used in welded plate boats.

But we'd like to see your project's pictures and the work you plan or have already done- even if we're not as experienced, as a Forum, with that class of metal boat. Post away, pictures are easiest to display as "image" links to a location at a storage site like Photobucket. ( this is done by using the [ img] url and [ /img] text around the link ID string: NOTE: I had to add a space between the first [ and the text to avoid 'error' messages) That way the site only displays an active linked 'picture' of the "image file" stored online not on the Forum.

This method of posting images/pics/photos/even videos is discussed on a few threads here.

Welcome aboard, thanks for posting, please let us see your project and share your plans to restore and improve your metal boat.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
AlaskaGuy

Post by AlaskaGuy »

Hi Kevin
Thank you for the welcome. I have a question for you. The hull is tied to the negative side of the battery through the pigtail from the outboard motor. From what I am reading this could be a problem. As soon as I remover the motor leads to the battery the negative to the hull opens up. All other connections are still connected to the positive and negative battery terminals.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

Akguy, the only time this condition of an unbonded hull is a problem is when it's in the water. So if you remove the engine leads regularly when afloat- not on the trailer- then make the bond to the hull from DC neg terminal of the battery or the DC NEg bus bar. Skip the engine bond to hull from its DC Neg as the primary single point DC Neg to hull connection.

But, if the engines are always connected when you're afloat- no worries- if I understood your question and circumstance correctly?

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai
kmorin
AlaskaGuy

Post by AlaskaGuy »

Hi Kevin
There is no direct connection of the negative side of the battery to the hull. The connection to the hull only appears when the motor pigtail is hooked to the battery. I see you are in Kenai. I have my travel trailer parked in Sterling for the summer. I reside near Palmer. Thanks for you reply. The engine is always connected when in the water.
Mike
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic