Pricing new and used alumanim boats...advise

General boating discussion
dflorea

Pricing new and used alumanim boats...advise

Post by dflorea »

I need advise on a solid way to price a newer used alumanim boat such as a north river or hewescraft, boulton, or weldcraft . NR Sea runner 22/24 size Hard top or not. When I find a boat that I would like and do a nada search the prices are much lower than what sellers are asking. When a purchaser gets a new boat they sometimes get extras extended transom twin engines/hard top etc.these extra options don't always equate to nada price list.
Chaps
Donator '09

Re: Pricing new and used alumanim boats...advise

Post by Chaps »

NADA is useless IMO especially as pertaining to newer alum boats. Not unusual for these to sell within 5% of original cost if in top condition and often more if equipped with high end electronics.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Challenge
Donator 08, 09,10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22

Post by Challenge »

Yes I agree with Chaps... NADA takes the original MSRP and depreciates it (X% per year) like a glass boat or a car... Not very realistic with an AAB, Maybe depreciate the motor and trailer (after a few years and out of warranty) but the boat values seem to stay consistent. :thumbsup:
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

dflorea, my remarks are not about the market surveys or listed market prices just about welded aluminum boats in my area. Many of the open skiffs used in commercial net fishing have not only retained value but end up being priced with current replacement value- or the current cost of the new version of the older boat. Boats that sold for $10,000 in the 1980's are sold for about that value or... more in some cases. This does not address engines or gear.

That's only a reference to the current local market- not an exclusive rule of thumb. However, I think it shows that the non-electronic and non-mechanical systems will have a different rate of depreciation when compared to the engine, gear and added systems' market values. For this reason I doubt a market survey type of listing will be reflective of the resale value for welded aluminum boats- it would have to be on a case by case basis- considering the boat separate from the equipment? That level of detail seems unlikely in an overall market survey type of reporting service?

Just another view.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic