Help pricing a hull

General boating discussion
Ninkasi

Help pricing a hull

Post by Ninkasi »

I have a neighbor that has an aluminum boat hull on his property for a handful of years now. I'm not sure of the make or model as it is tucked back a ways. It is about a 30'er if I had to guess with a pilot house/long cabin. There is nothing more than the bare aluminum (no windows, wires, interior, lights, etc.) to it. I'm curious what something like that might be worth. I know there are a lot of variables like size, builder/build quality, etc., but I want to know if it is like $10,000 or $100,000. I just see it in passing and day dream at this point.

Thanks in advance and I love looking thru the forum at all of the beautiful alloy and dreaming.
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Re: Help pricing a hull

Post by kmorin »

Ninkasi,
the short answer is: without enough information there is no way of even guessing the number of significant figures in the value. Which range from "not even scrap" to; "might be a potential to finish the boat"?

Even as scrap there's lots of labor to cut it up to transport. As regards finishing a derelict- there are quite a few reasons this is not well advised as new metal, while costly, has many advantages over corroded, weathered, sheet and plate- cut and fit and tacked/welded by someone unknown.

First, design. Was the boat built to a given design that would be of actual value once complete? If a known design firm originated the plans- that's one thing... if it is not a know design, of proven lines, then that's at the other end of the spectrum of variables.

Second, workmanship/skills/craftsmanship/boatbuilding level. If a wonderfully designed boat was not built to tight tolerances, with good skills- even a well designed boat is largely worthless. So construction details are critical in this consideration.

However, if the boat were well designed AND well built, then there may be some residual value in the efforts spent this far?

Third, preservation and preparations. If the boat wasn't acid etched to remove mill scale in order to give the underlying metal longevity in the elements... Or if the boat wasn't covered from organics (leaves, pollen, dust and other blown-in materials) and wasn't covered or rinsed by rain regularly? Then; even if it were well designed, and well built - and (then) acid etched to give some form of longevity out in the weather (organic material can collect and create corrosion) the previous (potentially redemptive) conditions - are moot.

Hope to give you a high altitude overview of what the potentials are for any abandoned aluminum boat, that wasn't completed and may have experienced short comings in its history; might be.

The only possible way to determine value is to hire a marine surveyor, who is familiar with welded metal boats, to give a market value. Not that many marine surveyors are really competent in welded aluminum alloy boats. So finding someone to give a really valid value is harder than appears.

Other than paying that expense... you have no means of getting a real world market value.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
Yofish
Donator '20

Post by Yofish »

One might not believe this but I haven't visited this site in a looong time. Perhaps it's because I'm about to embark on another skiff project and I'm twitchy but here I am. AND, as usual, I will up Kevin's comments! I can only add to what the scrap value is - today, which is likely less than the labor to scrape it - believe it or not. Scrap AL is in the toilet though new stock hasn't changed that much.

If you have any resources that would supply answers to Kevin's questions would be the ONLY way to go should you have a twitch to acquire said as you obviously don't know. Then, unfortunately, not knowing and wanting to trust someone's advice (say, random weldor Bob) you could get doubly screwed unless they are an actual surveyor as Kevin said. I cannot tell you the numbers of hulls (me, hopefully betting on the come line) that were, on inspection, NOPE!

It is extremely rare that one scores a diamond in the compost bin. Having said that I have had an occasional rare otherwise, to be honest.
Ninkasi

Post by Ninkasi »

Thanks Kevin and Yofish for the advice. One of these days I will see someone out there and will stop for a chat.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic