Interior cabin sound absorption

General boating discussion
nwboater

Interior cabin sound absorption

Post by nwboater »

I'm interested in opinions on ways of quieting the inside of an aluminum pilot house.

My thought is to use 1/2" closed cell Neoprene foam sheet with a peel and stick acrylic adhesive on the ceiling. My concern of course is corrosion and the material or adhesive reacting with the aluminum.

Has anyone tried this?

Thanks
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Kenai, AK

Re: Interior cabin sound absorption

Post by kmorin »

NorthWest,
I've seen cabins with spray urethane, and close celled neoprene of different types as well as sheet styrene and various other products to help insulate AND to reduce sound. As long as they're well adhered- and vertical or overhead- they've all seemed to be functional and not to create corrosion cells.

The key is adhesion and orientation as well as location... not much luck of most products in the bilge of welded boats.

you might also explore http://www.silentcoating.com/ this peanut butter consistency trowel-on product does a great job of noise reduction!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
kmorin
nwboater

Re: Interior cabin sound absorption

Post by nwboater »

kmorin wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:09 pm NorthWest,
I've seen cabins with spray urethane, and close celled neoprene of different types as well as sheet styrene and various other products to help insulate AND to reduce sound. As long as they're well adhered- and vertical or overhead- they've all seemed to be functional and not to create corrosion cells.

The key is adhesion and orientation as well as location... not much luck of most products in the bilge of welded boats.

you might also explore http://www.silentcoating.com/ this peanut butter consistency trowel-on product does a great job of noise reduction!

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK
Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try and report back.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic