Dream Catcher - Splash!!

A Place to Show and Tell
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Re: SWEET SLED!

Post by Shark Bait »

Ironwoodtuna wrote:Sharkbait,

1st off, Congrats on getting her home! She looks like a DREAM CATCH for sure. You gotta be touting wood as you were pull'in into home port! HA!!!

2ndly,I'll bet!? Is she ready to fish or do you now have a bunch of rigging to do on her?

3rdly, Is that a F150/250/35 or 1500/2500/3500 in gas of diesel?

4thly, Is the weight of the total trailer and boat under 10K or over?

5thly, What class hitch and tounge weight rating are you using?

We are all waiting for the action photos! Standing By! Marty
Marty and Welder - Thanks for the comments - I knew there would be a lot of questions about the trailer/towing setup. An enormous amount of work went into dealing with the trailering aspect of this project. Most boat and truck dealers don't know Sh*t about towing or any of the components that make up the tow ratings and the complete towing package. I talked to many people and manufactures all over country in determining what to use. Cequent Manufacturing, the parent company to Reese and Draw Tite were very helpful. I'm no expert but I'm way ahead of most folks.

1. Absolutely

2. She is almost ready to fish - still waiting on the Shrimp Pot Puller which is waiting on the motor. The boat was designed as a comfortable multi-day cruiser as well as a serious fishing boat.

3. The truck is an Ex Cab, SWB, Chevy 2500 HD, 4 WD, rear locking diff, with an 8.1L gas engine and the Allison. I have replaced the Allison's pan with the larger Allison steel pan from their medium duty trucks. I then replaced the transmission fluid with Schaeffer's 204 SAT synthetic transmission fluid and replaced the factory transmission cooler with a much larger cooler made specifically for the big GM trucks by Inglewood Transmission in Calif. As a point of reference when I was on the flatland the trans temperature was 140F and the max I saw after pulling the 6 mile mountain grade was 165F. It has no problem pulling this load.

4. Weight - you want to know weight? I must be one of the only guys around who has ever weighed his rig to include all of the axles. The boat and trailer weigh 15,000#. Now before you S**t a brick I will let you know that none of the weight limits have been exceeded and that includes, Ft axle, Rear axle, GCVWR, tounge weight or trailer weight - but it is very near the GCVWR maximum of the truck which is 22,000#.

4A. Some comments on the trailer. Danny Gallagher, and his late father Dan, of Rolls Axle designed and built the trailer specifically for this boat from CAD drawings supplied by Daigle Welding and Marine, for use in Alaska. The trailer has a GVWR of 18,000#, the main frame rails are 8" X 5" aluminum I beams, there are 13" Kodiak Stainless Steel discs on each of the six wheels, they are actuated by an Active Technology Second Generation, fully proportional, electric over hydraulic actuator which is controlled by a BrakeSmart controller which measures the hydraulic pressure in the trucks braking system to determine how much braking to apply to the trailer. I have pulled a lot of trailers in my day and this is by far the best towing trailer I have ever towed. OBTW the trailer brakes are so good you don't need the trucks brakes - just hit the controller and she stops.

5. If you own a GM truck you already know the GM receiver is a real POS. I replaced mine with a Putnum XDR, Class V unit which has a weight carrying limit of 15,000# and a weight distributing limit of 16,000#. Since I was using electric over hydraulic brakes I added a Reese Titan 17,000# weight distributing hitch set up. The trailer is level to within 1/8" when hooked up. Tongue weigh was set at 1050# (per Rolls recommendation) using a Sherline Tongue Weight Gage. This is the first time I have used a load equalizing hitch on a boat and I have to say it was a very, very smart move. No pitching, swaying or bucking on wash-board roads, tows and stops straight as an arrow. Thats not to say you don't know the boat is behind you, but it is very comfortable towing it.

I knew this was going to be a big, heavy boat and since it was designed to be as large as possible and still be trailerable a lot of effort was put into the trailer/brake/hitch system to provide the highest level of safety when towing. I think I hit it!

I hope I have answered your technical questions.

SB
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

SB,

You SIR are my new SUPER HERO of trailering .

I am so proud to know someone that get's it .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

Ah....Home Sweet Home!

Congrate SB!

I too second Lester's opinion!
welder wrote:SB,

You SIR are my new SUPER HERO of trailering .

I am so proud to know someone that get's it .
Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

SB,

Thanks for the details on the trailer and hitch. I have a GM too, and I have heard that the WD hitch is the way to go. I will look into the ones you got. Where did you purchase them from? As for the trailer, I am looking at a High-Tech trailer out of Panama Florida, which I have a quote for one in Seattle. There are some posts on TheHullTruth that these are good trailers, and I have looked at a couple of them up here in town. I am wondering if you have an opinion on this. It is a 15K trailer, but my boat will weigh in at 11K with fuel and water, so I think this is all I need. I am currently number 12 on the wait list in Seward, so I may be seeing you there next summer.

Jim
Jim

Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

EXPLAINATION-THANK YOU!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

SHARKBAIT,

Great to here all of your research and the ideas in which you learned and used to set up the trailer, the hitch deal sounds real cool. I wish it made since to spend $10K + to by a trailer for my beast but right now, I'll spend the $600.00 a year to get hauled in and out twice a year and the $300. for the dry dock fee for a few more years.

I was really suprised when my boat was weighed fully loaded with fuel, ice and tackle, less people and she weighed 13,800#s. Add five or six 200#+ men and I am sitting at 15,000#s. Which my little D6 310hp Diesel pushes at 25Knot cruise @15-16 GPH and 26-27Knots in the corner@16-17GPH.

When are you going to show us some interior pictures? Or did I miss them, HUMMM! Maybe I'll have to back into the archives to see if I messed them.

Are you fishing yet up there? Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

When are you going to show us some interior pictures? Or did I miss them, HUMMM! Maybe I'll have to back into the archives to see if I messed them.

Marty: I have posted a few interior pictures taken during the build process - but not since we got her home. Right now, and for the next several weeks, we are hosting several groups of out-of-town guests - playing "The Great Alaska Tour Guide" so we will not be on the boat much. Will get some pictures for you as soon as I can.

SB
BMac

Post by BMac »

WOW!- awesome boat SB :D !

We have a lot of great ali boats over here in Oz, but that's right up with the best I've seen.
Cheers
Brendan
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

SB,
Looks very nice. I guess it gets a little chilly on water around your way hence the heater. Do you have any problems with the cold affecting your batteries or are they located in the cabin?
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic