Pacific boat sides.

General boating discussion
tbshattuck

Pacific boat sides.

Post by tbshattuck »

Looking at a 2007 pacific.  It looks like previous owner tried to buff/ polish hull sides. Are these dimples/imperfections something to be worried about? Or normal for a boat of this age?

Thanks
 https://ibb.co/3sCXXY6
 https://ibb.co/M9Cghpb

MacCTD

Re: Pacific boat sides.

Post by MacCTD »

Definitely not normal IMO, I have an '05 and it still looks really good, that almost looks like it was corroded previously.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

My 04 also still looks good. With a powerwash probably would look new.

I couldn't get your links to work for some reason.

THE 26 JETTYWOLF

Post by THE 26 JETTYWOLF »

LOOKS AS IF IT WAS ''walnut blasted'' or similar to me. Get CHAPS to see it. isn't he the master blaster??? MY 2006 has been thru hell and back and experienced loads of electrical current and doesn't look like that. I just have pits all over.......whoopee!!!!!
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

That pitting is a bit unusual but won't hurt the utility of the boat. Is there a black rubber guard (D rubber) around the gunwale?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
kmorin
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24

Post by kmorin »

In the 70's, of the last century, I used to work on a group of welded 32'ers that were built in Vancouver and Sea/Puget Sound for a fish packer in the Kenai River.  I'm not sure if the alloy's used were defective or not? Nut I've only seen this type of corrosion in those boats.  The boats were all built from '59 to '62-3 and aluminum mfg. Material QA wasn't then what it has become.

I saw similar plate deterioration in several of those boats- the type of sheet/plate failure is defined as 'exfoliation' where the sheet would separate into layers- like pages of a book- and then water and organic material would get in between the layer furthering the original materials' failure.

The photos look similar, they're not very close up, to those long ago exfoliated sheets I saw when repairing those commercial boats.  I'm not sure if Pacific got a 'bad batch'?  Or if this is exfoliation but it can be checked by putting a pocket knife blade into the sides of the pitting shown and then lift to see if the sheet will separate into layers?  Does a thin skin of the sheet lift away from the surrounding material?

Just a passing thought about this type of corrosion.  I recall Jetty Wolf's central, below deck fuel tank had the corners corrode away so much he could drive a knife blade into that bent area of the tank.  Not sure if that was material problems? too tight bend radius, or internal water bottoms corroding out the tanks lower corners??? BUT... if Pacific doesn't regularly request and receive MTR's from mill sources?  Could be this corrosion is original material defects?

Just another thought on this type of corrosion.

Cheers,
Kevin Morin
Kenai, AK

kmorin
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic