Fishing off Mandurah Western Australia

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
BMac

Fishing off Mandurah Western Australia

Post by BMac »

A few pics of some fish I have caught in the last year or so.

Samson Fish

Pink Snapper

WA Dhufish- only place in the world they are caught is southern half of WA

Cheers
Brendan
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Nice!!!!!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

great shots of your catch, keep them coming.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

BMac how are you doing? Australia has some really neat fish. I familiarized myself to the Samson fish and how fun it is to jig them.

The Western Australia Dhufish probably looks even more awsome in person. Do I see irredescent purple hues in it's scales. Does it put up a scrap trying to get away. Is it good eating on the BBQ....... Out here we have a simular fish called a black seabass they grow up to 255 kg but are on the no take list.

Regards
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
BMac

Post by BMac »

Hi Mark,

Yeah, the Samsons are great fun. The first pic is the first one I ever caught and is the only one I have ever killed- wish I hadn't! :( Obviously they are only smallish ones, the jig boys get them up to about 4 times that size!

The WA Dhuie is a beautful fish straight out of the water- well picked up on the irredescent purple hues! They are usually caught in depths of 50mtrs+ and are not great fighting fish at that depth, but the ones pictured came from only 24mtrs and put up quite a good scrap! They are excellent eating, in fact some class them as the best in Oz and they are my favourite! :)

Again, they grow much bigger than these (to about 25Kg) and there is a size limit of 60cm and bag limit of 2. There is currently talk of introducing closed seasons on these, Pink Snapper and a few others.
Cheers
Brendan
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Wow looks like closed seasons are happening everywhere. I do not mind if GOOD SCIENCE is applied............ Out here sometimes I think it is more political posturing in favor of anti fishing groups. For example the "endangered" Salmon grouper or Boccacio. I call them smelly cod.
We cannot get away from them they are so thick on the deep water rockpiles. They did a population census on a extreme warm water year (EL Nino) for a typically cold water fish.

I cetainly hope Australia balances the need of the recreational fishermen to the commercial and enviromental interest groups.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic