First Blood Sculpin Style

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

First Blood Sculpin Style

Post by Sculpin »

Well after the last weekend of NO fish we managed to get out this weekend and get some blood on the deck. We launched in Port Alberni and headed out the West Coast. It is a canal with mountains and giant douglas fir on both sides for about a 45 minute boat ride to the great BLUE.

Here are some pic's

Leaving the Somass River and entering the canal. That's Lorne. I don't know if hot chocolate and cigars go together in the morning :lol: .

A freighter of some sorts in the Port Alberni Harbour

I don't know if this video will work but here it goes. Heading out to the Halibut grounds. It was rougher than it looks in the video (taken with still camera on video mode).

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii29 ... e08007.flv

No Halibut to be had as mate Lorne got quite sick and only fished for a little over an hour (I seem to have a problem lately finding capable mates). We headed inshore as the sun came out to a place called Kirby Point and fished for Chinook's and hit the major bite bang on.
We nailed this guy and lost two at the boat and lost one about 30 feet out back (barbless hooks up here) and had several major "hits" all within a 30 minute time frame. This is typical west coast fishing on for 1/2 hour than nothing.

First blood for the Sculpin in my hands.

Lorne feeling better now that we're "inside".

Here's an old floating fish shack that didn't make it.

This old wooden boat that didn't make it either.

Gotta love the HONDA's. Coming in along the canal. Typical thermal winds. They kick up almost every afternoon in the summer time.

All in all it beat the heck out of the weekend before. Just one fish (22 pound Chinook) but we had a blast and explored some new territory to boot.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Way to go Rock nice fish to bloody your decks with. Cool looking country you have. That shack looks like one of our bait barges :lol: I like the second station fish finder. Go get a huge butt next time.

Thanks for sharing

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Is Port Alberni your home base or did you trailer to it? Nice to see some springers being caught up there. Send a few our way would ya?

I've always wanted to make that run out to the coast thru that inlet. When do the fish start coming inside?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
BMac

Post by BMac »

Great pics Rock- love the boat and the fish!
Cheers
Brendan
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

WTG!!! Video worked fine........... Great pics!!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:Is Port Alberni your home base or did you trailer to it? Nice to see some springers being caught up there. Send a few our way would ya?

I've always wanted to make that run out to the coast thru that inlet. When do the fish start coming inside?
I live on the East side of the Island and trailer up to Port Alberni. You should make it up here. The places to fish and explore in your boat are endless. The springs are just starting to show up on the outer edges of the islands etc. They start getting thick in numbers inside the canal in July and August.
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Great pictures!
Nice salmon, we'll take it.
I like the 2nd meter out on deck. Used while trolling and drift fishing? I'm fortunate enough to be able to see mine while out on deck. I know I constantly look at it for signs of encouragement (fish marks!)

You can maybe protect your connectors by using a film container (punch a hole in the lid and make a slit and slip it over the connector) and snap the body on when not in use. Keep them dry if possible :wink:

Whenever I take someone new out, I always ask if they get seasick. It isn't any fun when someone gets sick. There are too many remedies these days for that to occur.

BTW, the video worked fine. If you copy and paste the "IMG CODE" you will get the film strip and the first frame of your video

Sounds like you season is starting to get good.
Keep the reports coming!

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

ROCK ON.......Great stuff and scenery of course from where there's TREE'S!

Video worked great....you can usually count on photobucket to do the
J-O-B.

Kinda looks to me as if that one fish could feed a county in Africa...if thats not politically correct, excuse me I don't care.

I saw a NW Salmon story on 60 Minutes last night. Wow, that's some serious stuff going on in Washington trying to save them fish, cheap electric, indians, corporations etc.

Is that a Salmon?

Great pics.......keep em coming. 20 fish and calm seas next time.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic