28 foot pacific

General boating discussion
FishMagnet

28 foot pacific

Post by FishMagnet »

Anyone own one of these? I am trying to get some info on engines/fuel burn and how the boat handles a head sea/beam sea/ and what she drifts like. Also, if someone has one, a few more pics may be nice. :) :) :)

Also, even though Pacific does not mention it on there home page....they carry the same lifetime warranty like BlackLab boats (since they are the same...right?)

thanks
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

We will have to get Jay on the numbers bur yes the same boat .

You can click on either banner add over on the right side>>>>>>of the page and make contact for more details.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I would also like to know. Any pictures of them rigged and out in the world?

I do not know anyone who has one...but it may be the boat for me in a few years.
I would need a galley, head with stand up shower, flybridge, some other creature comforts including heat and AC with generator, large sleeper berth forward.

http://www.pacificboats.com/pacboats_027.htm
or
http://www.rocksaltboats-superdave-grea ... ers-34.com
(the bottom one doesn't seem to link. Jay can you solve that problem for me? :lol: ok, with a deposit ofcourse! )
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I alway wondered too.
specs:

http://www.pacificboats.com/pacboats_007.htm

Does anyone ever build a 28?

I would not even guess that if someone wanted a big brawny offshore boat here in N.E. Florida, that this boat pictures would eat a Contender's lunch.

If I was some big time offshore guy, it would be the boat for me.
I love that monster CC version, add in a walk down inside console with pee pee pot for the knee bender types.
And I'd sure to get those rails running down the side.

FishMagnet

Post by FishMagnet »

yup....would be a great boat for heading into the Gulf drifting for grouper! How about it Jay.....any other pictures or specs on the boat?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I have a call into my people for more info.

SB , where are you located ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
FishMagnet

Post by FishMagnet »

Living in Virginia...fishing the Chesapeake Bay now, but moving to Sarasota in 1.5 years when the company transfers me. Looking at a 26 BLM supertop and then noticed the Pacific 28. I need to contact Ironwood also. I wish there were better pictures of the models that Ironwood does....I know that they are custom....but the have to have a few tried and true models where they can show several pictures and different views. Naturally since I like these boats, they have to be made across the country so all I have to look at is pictures! :) :) :)
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Hi Sharkbait,

Just getting back to Maine from a trip to Virginia! Been at the Multi-Agency Craft Conference at the Navy Amphibious base at Little Creek - man was it hot...

The 28' boat is a one-off (custom) and there have been about 15 made. The one pictured above with the extra large hardtop went to Norway and was a great boat but a little underpowered (in my opinion) with the twin Suzuki 140's.

We recently did a 29' version of the same hull with a modified version of the Walkaround cabin - a little longer and a little wider. Mounted twin Suzuki 200's and the boat went 50.3 mph WOT. The cabin set-up wasn't my favorite.

The hull is absolutely great - very smooth, very stable, very roomy. What we do topsides is up to you - from a CC to a pilothouse - just depends upon your needs and your budget.

As a one-off its a bit pricey - about 100K w/o power for almost any cabin configuration - somewhat less if you keep the custom work down.

I'll post some photos when I get back in the office.

Thank you for your interest!
Jay Perrotta
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Fuel in Norway was probably 8 bucks a liter when that boat was built, huh Jay.

So I can dig the lower HP. A Quick "displacement" ride, versus a neck stretcher. It's all good, for me. Speed = guzzle, right? That's a kick-butt boat.

Sharkbait, you really need to go see Mr. Perotta. He'll answer all your Q's.
Kelper
Your location: Craig, Ak

Post by Kelper »

A lodge in my area (El Capitan) uses a 26' Pacific based off of the 28' Hull. I saw them in the Pacific factory when I went to visit. They look very nice and absolutely bulletproof. I almost want to go work for them just so that I can drive the boats. Google El Capitan lodge and you can see the boats.

I'm seriously considering having a charter boat built this winter and a Pacific 26-28 is tops on the list. I've been struggling with a cabin configuration though that will let me fish 4-5 anglers and still have a walk-around. Need something that easy on the fuel too.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

Save you guys the trouble...

AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

any inside pics Kelper? Unique looking boat............I Like!!
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

I crawled around in them, and the cabins were pretty bare bones, to my liking.. I'm curious what a WA7 would look like on that 26' hull...

edited to add:

I'd want the motors set back and I'd want the extra deck space from getting rid of the fix boxes. I can't stand cleaning built in fish boxes everyday when a half tote does the job perfectly. I can't see them holding ice either. I'd put twin 150 verados too. In fact, that might be the perfect boat....
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

are you saying that those boats are a 26' Pacific, but with the look of the 28?

Because if they made that many for an obvious very wealthy lodge as "one-offs" it's funny there's never been a photo of one shown anywhere else.

That's bordering on rediculas that these styles aren't availible. That's a sweet machine there. But I agree there way too much wasted space in the stern where there could be so much more fishing room.

That always gets me when I see many of the cold climate boats. So little cockpit room, and so much cabin. I'd want more fishing room and just enough cabin so to sit people for the ride out and in.

They are there to fish, correct? And dress approprietly, I'd hope.

Those boats look good with about 1/2 and 1/2. Man that would make a sweet Center console too.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

A guy doesn't understand the conditions of SE AK until he's actually in them. I've been fishing in a SE 30Kt this week and the wind is soooo cold. I get hard core hunters/fishermen all the time who basically tap out after 3 days of fishing in foul weather. It's a good thing we have excellent fishing..

I don't think I violated any rules posting those pics, as I wasn't sworn to secrecy when I saw them at the factory. I'm sure Julie will build them for whoever lays out the cash..(grin)
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

JETTYWOLF wrote: That always gets me when I see many of the cold climate boats. So little cockpit room, and so much cabin. I'd want more fishing room and just enough cabin so to sit people for the ride out and in.
I agree 100%. Missed that on my first read.

The boat I'm spending 73 days in this summer is all cabin, with small deck. Nice boat, but it's not really my style.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

And what I'm amazed at if they are, is that if ya have enough "tourist $$" you can have completely customized ones built? One off's???

Because I think us "Labbers" and fellow Pacific owners will agree no one's ever seen any Pacifics like those before.

It's funny that as you go you learn so much more. I was completely unaware that if I wanted something like that, it could have been built.
(or maybe it's only for those big time lodges requesting 25, at a total of 2 million, when all said and done???)

Who the hell owns these lodges btw, ?
The Hiltons? Dow Chemical?
Exxon/Mobile??

Man, there's some kind of world out there , I haven't a clue about.

Do they really make enough money to afford all that stuff? Good Gawd these people must be raking it in. Can I get a job there, and then come back here in October? I can rake pretty GD good, too.
I'm getting to where I absolutely hate June through October here.

My favorite Jacksonville fishing is in shorts with a lite jacket and shorts on.
Summer's like humid as hell from sunup to sun down, and not really my kind of fishing, I've come to realize after 25 years, now.

My Favorite uniform:

Although I know that's probably not the right uniform for where you are.

:?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea:

Those boats are lacking the Pacific plate on the stern corner.
Last edited by JETTYWOLF on Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

JETTYWOLF wrote:BUT. Your saying those boats at that lodge are indeed Pacific 26 footers?

And what I'm amazed at if they are, is that if ya have enough "tourist $$" you can have completely customized ones built? One off's???

Because I think us "Labbers" and fellow Pacific owners will agree no one's ever seen any Pacifics like those before.

It's funny that as you go you learn so much more. I was completely unaware that if I wanted something like that, it could have been built.
(or maybe it's only for those big time lodges requesting 25, at a total of 2 million, when all said and done???

Who the hell owns these lodges btw, ?
The Hiltons? Dow Chemical?
Exxon/Mobile??

Man, there's some kind of world out there , I haven't a clue about.

Do they really make enough money to afford all that stuff? Can I get a job there, and then come back here in October? I can rake leaves pretty GD good.

:?: :idea: :?: :idea: :?: :idea:

Those boats are lacking the Pacific plate on the stern corner.
Lots of lodges like this one are owned by hard working families in AK. They take years to build up though.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

What are them boats 100K plus x 25?

That some serious hard work.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Those boats have an 11 ft beam! :shock:

While, I feel that several of the Pacific boat models are just about perfect, I wish that they would post more pics of the custom designs that they have made in the past. It helps give the design concept challenged people like myself some different ideas.

http://elcapitanlodge.com/images/boats_5lg.jpg

These boats have a lot of very NON Pacific qualities.

http://elcapitanlodge.com/images/boats_4lg.jpg

The text below is from ElCapitan Lodge's website:

One of the more frequent compliments we get from our guests is how great our boats are for comfort, safety and fishing room. After looking at many production line boats without finding any that had all of the features we needed, we decided to produce our own design. The result is a 26' aluminum boat with a wide 11' beam and a fully enclosed cabin with air cusioned pneumatic seats for all. Then we outfitted them low emission, quiet 250hp Yamaha saltwater series engine, Furuno radar, Sitex color sonar, Garmin GPS, and a Icom VHF radio. Add to this an experienced captain, miles of uncrowded, highly productive fishing grounds and you're ready to experience an Alaska fishing adventure second to none.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

These cabin boats are well thought out IMO.

I disagree with the comment about lack of cockpit space and feel that center consoles are highly overrated.

CC's have very few creature comforts in terms of seating, especially for passengers. They lack cover from the sun or cold, are imposible to climatize and have minimal storage, none locking.

The lack of lockable storage means you have to tote rods, electronics and tackle for everytrip back and forth to your rig making them more work to fish on.

They claim fishability all around the console but those spaces are narrow suited better for an individual than a group.

The prime fishing area on boats is in the rear, but unless you are 26 feet or larger, there is not enough room between the leaning post and the transom for a number of people to move around in a crowd and the side isles are ridiculously narrow.

The picture shows three big guys in the cockpit with a 100 lb halibut and they have room to spare.

The CC rear seating is nice for the captain in a go fast, but with todays gas prices, go fast boats with wider beams are tough to justify, unless the dock is very close to the fish.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Here's what I don't understand in many of the pics I see of the Alaskan style cabin boats.

Many times it appears that the individual standing in the cockpit is taller than the roof line. Does this mean that most have a step down internal cabin area?
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

Something to keep in mind is the temperatures experienced in Alaskan waters. Even though it may look like a blue bird day the temps may be in the 50's. Does it get that cold in Florida Jettywolf? :shock: I was out this past weekend and had the furnace going most of the time. I think that the monster cabin is essential to keep everyone comfortable. I have an extra large cabin on my 30x10 footer and still have plenty of room to fish 6 for flatfish, rock fish, or salmon. Very rarely do I cast from the boat. We are usually drifting or anchored up bouncing bait or jigs. As far as the roof lines being lower, a lot of the cabins have a step down to keep a lower CG. I don't like the step downs do to my height. I am the shortest guy in the family at 6'6", so there would be a few bumps if my boat had this design.

This being said, I would not complain if I had an extra few feet of cockpit space, but it is not essential for me.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Kelper

Post by Kelper »

A walkaround is sure helpful if you are a charter guy in AK. Fishing four rods of the back in a 20kt wind, with a good tide, in 400ft of water will sure make you want to spread guys out. Get one halibut that wants to swim in circles on the way up and you'll have a tangle this will bring most men to tears....
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Fishing comfortably is a good thing especially if you have kids and wives going with you............ Baking cookies and brownies when you are fishing and it's cold outside is a great thing ............................Hot Chocolate and fresh baked cookies MMMMmmmmmmm. ZZZZZZZzzzzz goes a rod, "Fish On!!!!!!"

6'6" tall and custom built cabin....... man "You are the Spoiled one" even though you are the runt of the family :shock:

That is why I love the Alloy it comes in many custoMIZERable configurations..........Each to his or her own taste.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic