West Coast Van Isl......to the BIG Bank

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Sculpin

West Coast Van Isl......to the BIG Bank

Post by Sculpin »

Well I finally wrangled up some blokes that are sea worthy to come out on the Sculpin on the big blue without getting sick. We headed out to La Perouse (Big Bank) which is 27 miles offshore. There were a couple dozen boats out there and not many in between. We hit the bite and hooked up on the first drop of the downrigger. We had non stop action for 45 minutes straight. End result 6 nice Chinooks in the mid teens and two nice lingcod. Headed back in aways to try for some halibut. Fished for 3 hours trying trolling on bottom, jigging, everthing with no avail. Not our day (again) for the flatties. Our time will come..........it will come. Anyways here are some pics of the day.

Heading out of the Somass river system

Hooked up on the first drop

A teener

Hooked up again
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii29 ... 008006.jpg

A short clip

Bloody decks

The ride in

We saw 10 whales, a few porpoises, sea lions, seals, etc. on this trip. It is a real privilege to be out there for sure. Here is a couple of shots of one whale that surprised us at a kelp bed that we were playing around in looking for black sea bass (sable fish).

Anyways, I spent the evening cleaning fish, vaccum bagging, brining (getting ready to smoke some fish), and washing down the boat etc. I think I will call it a day. A very good day at that.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Awesome pics, indeed, Rock.

Its terrible having to find people with sea legs. I deal with it constantly. And they think their savvy, but find out otherwise very quickly.
tracy
Your location: vancouver island

Post by tracy »

looks like a great day, west coast style.
E&D manufacturing ltd. http://www.whiskeycreekmarine.com/
.................... Image
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

I see you are fishing with knuckle busters.

No wonder you're tired :lol:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Bullshipper wrote:I see you are fishing with knuckle busters.

No wonder you're tired :lol:
Yeah we run (to some funny) different gear up here. I think it's a Canadian thing? Most folks run a 10'6 noodle (mooching rod) and center pin style reels (Shimano, Diawa, Islander to name a few). I run Shimano's Convergence 10'6 cork handled mooching rod and Shimano 4000GT mooching reel with 20 lb. Maxima green mono. The light gear makes for some great action. I learned as a kid to palm the reel as I have been rapped hard with the handles before :lol: . We troll with Scotty electric downriggers with 15lb. cannon balls on braided line. That day we were fishing anchovie in a teaser head 6' back from a UV flasher which is clipped to the downrigger about 15' from there.
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

I hate to be a nit picker, but you were actually fishing for Black Rock Fish in the kelp. Black Sea Bass are only found in the Atlantic. And down in California and Mexico they have the Giant Black Sea bass. I fish the west coast of Vancouver island quite a bit and pretty much everyone calls them black sea bass even though they are a rock fish. Also a sablefish is a completely different fish all together. It is an oily fish generally found on sandy and muddy bottoms in very deep water. They are pretty much only eaten in Japan. Probably not worth clarifying but it's the middle of the night and I can't sleep!

SableFish

Black Sea Bass

Black Rock fish

Bob
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Bob5292 wrote:I hate to be a nit picker, but you were actually fishing for Black Rock Fish in the kelp. Black Sea Bass are only found in the Atlantic. And down in California and Mexico they have the Giant Black Sea bass. I fish the west coast of Vancouver island quite a bit and pretty much everyone calls them black sea bass even though they are a rock fish. Also a sablefish is a completely different fish all together. It is an oily fish generally found on sandy and muddy bottoms in very deep water. They are pretty much only eaten in Japan. Probably not worth clarifying but it's the middle of the night and I can't sleep!

SableFish

Black Sea Bass

Black Rock fish

Bob
Thanks for the clarification Bob. You are absolutely right about the Black Rock Fish. Most folks call them black sea bass up here (I don't know why). They are a Black Rock fish. Filleted and grilled with mexican seasoning and a little lime juice and they are fantastic :D . I was mistaken with the term sable fish :? .

Where do you fish when you come up here? Do you bring your own boat or do you charter?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic