Our "Meet & Greet" Fishing Trip June 28th

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Our "Meet & Greet" Fishing Trip June 28th

Post by IN2DEEP »

Met up at Sunset Aquatic Park(Huntington Harbor) around 5am with Fellow AAB member Calloy(Don).
Shortly after, S L Dave pulls in and Mojomizer(Mark) walks up from the other end of the lot(He spent the night there)
Other AAB members started showing up.
We launched the alloy boats(4 Pacifics and one Bayrunner). Waited 'till 6:30 for any late shows. Set up for a photo shoot and headed out for some live bait(more pictures will be over in the "meet and greet" section as we headed out)

Don and I decided to target halibut this trip. Don, being a somewhat of a newbe to saltwater fishing, I thought that live anchovies would get the most bites(not necessarily the biggest, but most action)

This is what the bait operations look like out of this area. Open 24hrs, If you don't catch them at a bad time, you can get live bait around the clock

Our first stop was just outside the San Pedro opening. The wind was up pretty good already, making for an uncomfortable drift situation. Made a few drifts and our anchovie baits were getting molested by unwanted Pacific mackerel. :?
I decided to head back inside the breakwater and fish around the oil islands that are spread out in the harbor.

If you notice the structures built on the perimeter of this Island. They are there to try to hide the drilling operations going on there. If you're curious, you can use the satellite view on Google maps and enter "White Island off of Long Beach, CA" to see what's going on there.

We found a decent spot up against the island in 18' of water and started catching to targeted species(halibut)
Don hooks up on a better one and is rewarded with his first ever and legal at that...HALIBUT! :P

Smiles all around, even though this was taken before we had caught much of anything

The spot that the fish were holding was just a small area, so we decided to anchor and fan cast and cover the area.
It worked out okay. We had flurries of action for the next 3-4 hours on a mixed bag of halibut from 6" to just shy of the 22" legal size limit. A few short sand bass and a few sharks.
Don caught a most interesting catch...a Midshipman Fish, I've only one of these around five years ago. This has got to be one of the most slimy fish ever! Released it to freak someone else out :shock: :shock: :shock:

Headed it for the barn around 2:15 for the "Meet and Greet" barbecue

Here are some of different ways that I rig for Halibut while live bait drift fishing:

Simple reverse dropper loop 12-20lb line single or treble hook

Carolina rig w/sliding egg sinker(will sometimes substitute a bank sinker for the egg weight)

Big bait rig 5-8" baits(Sardines,Pacific or Jack Mackerel, or live or fresh frozen squid) 20-30lb. line

Scott
:) :) :)
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Scott nice Halibut and for Don to catch a keeper on his first one is neat. I believe he also caught the largest fish........ the ugliest fish and the slimiest fish.

10 cool points 8) to you for taking Calloy out. Do you think he will build his own alloy for the salt now??????

An additional 10 cool points 8) for adding the swimbaits and lead head fishing kit.

I am going to bug you again......... Is it possible to make a Aluminum Alloy Trident as a award for biggest fish passed on from member to member who catches the largest fish at one of these events. Nothing fancy cheesier the better??????????

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

mojomizer wrote:
I am going to bug you again......... Is it possible to make a Aluminum Alloy Trident as a award for biggest fish passed on from member to member who catches the largest fish at one of these events. Nothing fancy cheesier the better??????????
What do you have in mind? Picture???
Calloy

Post by Calloy »

Hey Mojo,

I'd be happy to assist on this. Sheri is a wax modeler/jeweler/clay sculptor and my neighbor has an abrasive waterjet machine or maybe I could fabricate something with xtra cheeese factor! Ideas?
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Posiedons trident looks like a three pronged fork.

Nothing fancy just kind of like neener neener neener factor for biggest fish passed on everytime we meet up. Scott just like the cane walking stick award.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Oh, you mean like the "pimp cane" 8) 8) 8)

That's doable! :wink:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Cool ya got the Idea.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic