Motor size...

General boating discussion
gil marlin

Motor size...

Post by gil marlin »

I have a 1996 19' Bayrunner with a 55 Yamaha on it. I want to repower with a larger motor and can't decide what size to get. The hull is rated for 90hp but I don't know if I need that much. I have been looking at the Yamaha 75 4-stroke but I don't want to end up with something that doesn't quite push the boat when fully loaded like the 55 I currently have. I am hoping that someone on this site has some experience with this size hull and can offer their opinion. Thanks in advance for any input and allowing me to be a part of this great site.
Is that a real Poncho or a Sears Poncho?
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

I would suggest that if you go 4 stroke to not exceed the weight of the largest 2 stroke the boat is rated for. The other thing to consider is prop choice. Whatever motor you decide to put on just make sure you have a low enough pitched prop so that you can get up to full rated rpm when the boat is fully loaded.

My 21 Edwing is probably twice as heavy as your boat but my Honda 90 works well with it even when I'm loaded with divers & gear or towing big boats because I run a 15" pitch workboat prop. My top speed is nothing to brag about but as far load handling goes its great.

I'd say that if you want to go fast and keep the transom weight down I'd give the 90 E-tec a serious look.

Welcome to the site BTW
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I had a 85 , 18' bayrunner with a 50HP merc 2Stroke and it did 32 MPH with 2 guys and all our gear on flat water.

Gil, ya might want to call Kenny at tradewind & Inflatables they have a banner over on the right side of the page >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He sale's that boat and can recomend a motor for ya. :wink:

We also have a few Bayrunner owners here and they will jump in I'm sure.

Oh yea, WELCOME to AAB :D
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Hey Gil, good to see you over here. I have a 23' Bayrunner now but I used to have a 2002 17' Bayrunner with a 60hp four stroke. I think it was the max the boat was rated for. It performed wonderfully. I think the 75 would be a perfect match for the 19'.

That being said, it would be very hard for me not to at least take a long look at the Etec if I were in the market for a re-power.

Merlin
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

First off........ A warm AAb welcome to you Gil Marlin. I have a pristine 1999 19' Valco Bayrunner with a Honda BF 40 it gets me up to 29 mph which is more then plenty on the Pacific Ocean. Ususally I'll cruise at around 21 mph and save on gas consumption. 75 hp seems more then ample to get you going. My only concern is weight put onto the stern.... follow Chaps wise advice.

Hope to see more posts from you.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Mojo, lets see that thang.

So your a platey and a tinnie owner. Good fer you.
After platey, what's it like getting back in tinnie?

Light?
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Jetty I'll tell you this.............. it is light, nimble and it would keep my wallet alot thicker. 12 gallons of gas lasts 2 trips before I get into the 2nd auxilary 12 gallon tank. I'll use it this fall during the lobster hooping season.

Hint: Lobster Greet 2008. Start buying your hoops before the season starts!!!!!!!!

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
BMac

Post by BMac »

mojomizer wrote: Image
DROOL!!!! :shock: :D
Cheers
Brendan
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Mojomizer, Those bugs look so darn good, I am drooling. How was your 4th of July? Cody and I had some Fluke, Stripers, Seabass, Porgies and blew a hub on my outer small prop! What a season starter this has been for us. My goal is to go offshore next weeken weather permitting. Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Sorry if I hijacked your thread Gil. So are you going with the 75 hp Yamaha? We always love to see pictures of your ride.

We out here have been trying to get aluminum boaters together meeting and having general fun. I thought I would start planting a seed for the next meet and greet. Which you of course are cordially invited.

Marrrrrty this July I picked up a bug........ not the tasty kind and it has settled into my lungs hard. Sorry to hear about your hub. Sounds like you have a great fishing buddy in Cody... I always love to hear about proud dads and their kids having some fishing fun.

Our clawless lobsters out here are pretty tasty I would love to use your wifes spicey sauce and stir fry them.

Take Care and go get some tuna

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
gil marlin

Post by gil marlin »

Thanks to everyone for the input. I too am concerned with weight on the transom and Chaps brings up a good point that I didn't think of. I'll have to look up 90hp 2 strokes and see what they weigh. Also, maybe I should look into a prop that is pitched more for torque than top speed. It's nice to be able to do 30mph, but unless I'm on flat calm water (which normally isn't the case here in San Diego) 30mph is just punishing. I'll let you all know what I decide and post up some pictures then. thanks again...

P.S. nice lobsters... :lol:
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Ohhhhh...... Have you seen the Matt and Matt project on this site. 21'Baja Bayrunner 100 hp extended transome.

Regards.
Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

mojomizer wrote:Jetty I'll tell you this.............. it is light, nimble and it would keep my wallet alot thicker. 12 gallons of gas lasts 2 trips before I get into the 2nd auxilary 12 gallon tank. I'll use it this fall during the lobster hooping season.
Mark
I know what a bug looks like but not yer Tinnie Boat.... I was wondering, if you had a photo of it to post.

I like my boats like I like my women...built for Comfort, not for speed, and they ought to be LOW maintenance. Cuz I ain't no mechanic.
I fish.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Jetty sorry that pic is going to have too wait for "Lobster Greet 2008". Heck I gotta build up some suspense.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Okay....I'll do the same when I catch a giant Genuine Red Snapper on a Butterfly jig then too.

Ya must not as proud of it as your Pacific then. Don't blame ya.
(I'm biased, too)
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Go for the 90 Yammy as it weighs the same as the "de-tuned" 75 four stroke. When you get loaded up with folks and gear the HP really does make the difference. My boat was previously powered by a 140 Suki and I fully understand why the previous owner switched up to the 225 Honda. I would not want anything smaller on my boat period. Coming in in rough seas the extra HP is a must to keep you on plane etc. while loaded up. Lot's of folks say "well I just don't have that much weight in the boat". Well reality sets in and you have that much weight in the boat and you wished you had the extra HP.
gil marlin

Post by gil marlin »

I just looked at the Yamaha specifications, the 2-stroke is about 100 lbs lighter. Now, I looked at the specs on the 75 vs 90 as Rock suggested and was I surprised. They are the same motor! Same displacement, weight, etc. Why would someone want the 75 if it weighs and costs the same but doesn't have as much power??? Now I'm getting more confused as I do more research... just like always... :roll:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic