ZOLATONE ?

General boating discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

ZOLATONE ?

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I saw on many a photo's here that "Marbly" looking gray colored finish put on some of ya'll boats. And in some of the boats in the boat show pics too.

I like that. It looks almost like a porcilan coating that's baked on, it seems so nice.

Is that coating Zolatone a paint or epoxy finish over a primer, sprayed-on....what?

And what is the "benefit" of having that in the cockpit of a fishing boat, or in a cabin or on a dash for that matter, over plain plate.

Anyone can shed some light on it and the details for I am a "want to know" guy.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

My cat had all of its interior and cockpit surfaces done in Zolatone and it was nice. The big benefit is it hides a lot of the irregularities you get with a hand built/welded system. Its pretty tough but if you hit it hard with something sharp it will chip off so be aware of that but its pretty easy to touch up. Its applied like a topside enamel, sprayed conventionally over primer, etc.

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Chaps , you got one heck of a fleet there. Good job man.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Thanks Les, the cat is gone but not forgotten so I'll leave it up.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

It's a pleasure to know her.

Leave her up there by all means...
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I really like that Zolatone stuff, though photos is all I've seen.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Keeps the appearance of an alloy boat, "alloy" looking, but with a nice flair to it.

It seems to be very popular, Pacific as you may know does Any color powder coating.

What's tougher, I wonder. And what's more expensive?

Because zolatone seems real popular, while powder coating seems rarer.

From what I see here on AAB.com and all the links flying about.....
Last edited by JETTYWOLF on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NUKE

whats more expensive?

Post by NUKE »

Powder coating is a baked finish.requires being in an oven . not so sure about the other ,it sounds paint like to me...primer and finish coat ...sounds like a paint shop job...
NUKE
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I looked it up and wow this stuff is cool! :shock:

http://www.zolatoneaim.com/z20_1.html

I read this whole sites pages, and found this stuff facinating.

It looks like it could be a D.I.Y. project if you read all the directions carefully. But the guys who use it every day must really know what they're doing.

This site explains how the paint gets its pattern and I'm very impressed.

Can't say I have a need for it on my boat, but I sure can appreciate it on other boats, and what goes into it.
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Jetty: One of my sons is a professional auto body guy and he sprays this stuff from time to time. He has even sprayed a few projects in my garage and I can tell you this is some nasty S**t - much worse than normal automotive paint. Not sure I would want to do a very big project myself without a spray booth and some good PPE.

That said Zolatone is very popular on boats up here; looks good and it is tough. Some of the builders put several coats of clearcoat on top of the Zolatone for a better appearance. One of the big advantages with a Zolatone finish is that you don't get that black stuff on our hands that you get when you handle or rub bare aluminum - I'm sure you know what I am talking about.

Nuke is correct about powercoat - it has to be baked in an oven. It would be great on a boat if you could find some one with an oven big enough to put a boat in and you could afford it. Power coating is not cheap.

SB
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Oh, I could have done Powder coat, Pacific boats will powder coat your cabin or console. Welder's Console and T-top is powder coated.

I opted to not have it, because I get people on the boat that may not appreciate the cost of it.

No I don't get any rub marks on my hands. My boat has a Nyalic coating.
And is quite clean as a whistle. I also looked into that product, just in case I have to do a second coat one day.

I'm not wanting to do any painting myself, just kickin the idea around that's all. I was thinking the front of my dash would look bad azz with a blue marbly Zolatone finish, that's all.

It's quite incredible the way the paint comes as per the web site with the microbeads of color, and how they want ya to stir it and such. And how the beads break when shot thru the gun to create the finish...just amazing what ya see today.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic