tracy
Your location: vancouver island

fisherman mual by bear

Post by tracy »

E&D manufacturing ltd. http://www.whiskeycreekmarine.com/
.................... Image
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Wow I was listening on the radio today about that. Bizzar is right!!!!!. Sounds like the C.O.'s should have removed or killed some of the bears in the area earlier with the complaints. 10 years old and only 80 kilo's, not likely, I'd say they have the weight wrong for sure. They tell people that black bears are more afraid of people I tell people to never trust a black bear. They are like the joker, call their bluff and be on the cautious side always. Reports of a few grizzly sitings on the island this year too (they swim across from the mainland and usually are transplanted back or destroyed).
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

. . . and you guys can't carry bear repellent as delivered from a Smith & Wesson dispenser can you? When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote:. . . and you guys can't carry bear repellent as delivered from a Smith & Wesson dispenser can you? When seconds count the cops are only minutes away!
Not in the handgun sense but a lot of folks use Mossberg Rolling Thunder type or Winchester Defender type shotguns with pistol grips for bear defense. I like the Marlin Guide Guns myself in either 450Marlin or a hot 45/70 load.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
tracy
Your location: vancouver island

Post by tracy »

all we can do is use a KNIFE..... and then he is the killer. the bears have all the protection, the same as all the crooks.
E&D manufacturing ltd. http://www.whiskeycreekmarine.com/
.................... Image
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

The Rock wrote: Not in the handgun sense but a lot of folks use Mossberg Rolling Thunder type or Winchester Defender type shotguns with pistol grips for bear defense. I like the Marlin Guide Guns myself in either 450Marlin or a hot 45/70 load.
Those are great if they are close by when you need them but nothing beats a holstered magnum caliber revolver on your hip. Its always there.

BTW, how late can you guys fish offshore for salmon up there?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

[quote="Chaps
Those are great if they are close by when you need them but nothing beats a holstered magnum caliber revolver on your hip. Its always there.

BTW, how late can you guys fish offshore for salmon up there?[/quote]

I hear ya about having it right on ya but the fact being up here you have to have a very special permit to carry a handgun (security work, bonifide prospector(that one doesn't fly much anymore), forestry and mining personnel, etc.) You can own handguns no problem its just hard to get a permit to carry.

You can fish offshore year round if you want to face mother nature. Seriously the feeders and junveniles hang out all year in Barkley Sound and on the banks it's just the weather that determines if you can go fishing.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic