Davit/Crane

Mods and custom builds
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Davit/Crane

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Was speaking wih one of my customers today - he just called to say that they had had a great summer with the boat.

678 Hours doing LE, S&R stuff on Lake Ontario...

He added one of hese to his boat and said it was fantastic:

http://www.spitzlift.net/

All aluminum...
Jay Perrotta
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Nice lift, it better be aluminum.....do ya need a lift for LE, S&R stuff?

(law enforcement LE, and Search and Rescue)????
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Here's one I rigged up on my Edwing to haul navigation buoys on board, work the oyster trays and for various salvage jobs that come along. The mast & boom come off easy, I just leave the swivel base secured to the bottom of my towpost.

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
85MonarkVC

Post by 85MonarkVC »

Chaps,
I really like your crane. Did you build your swivel base from scratch or use one made for this purpose? I've searched the net for hardware, plans, & more info on setups like yours but have not been able to find much.

My boat has a mount for a towpost that goes through the deck and is mounted to the bottom of the hull, but the round hole on top has been sealed & welded closed. I may one day want another tow post and I think it would be nice to have something like your setup if I ever needed it. My brother is a diver and I think it would make a great addition to a dive boat. It seems that your setup uses pullies & leverage rather than an electric motor. If this is the case it is probably fairly inexpensive to build compared to buying a factory built electric unit. Do you have any more pictures, drawing, helpful info on bulding a davit/crane like yours?

I have one issue that I am still learning about concerning cranes, pullers, tow posts, etc. My boat is registered for pleasure use and I think I have to be very careful what I add to it. If I look too "commercial" it may lead to problems for me. Florida law says "Any vessel that is rigged with a trap puller will be considered a commercial vessel and the appropriate licenses will be required."

http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recbluecrab.htm

I think it would be great to have a crap trap davit/puller but apparently I can't do it in Florida without a commercial registration.

John
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Yup, good old block & tackle set-up. The whole rig is homemade, no plans or kit parts. The mast & boom are made from fir lumber. Hardware pieces are aluminum fabrications. I'll take some close-up pics of the parts sometime and post them here.

1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
85MonarkVC

Post by 85MonarkVC »

Thanks. I would not have guessed the mast & boom were fir.
Flatdog

Post by Flatdog »

Funny things go through your mind when trying to think through the Ideal boat for you, commercial applications I can see for a crane arm and pully system.
But also what if you fish alone or short handed and need to get that "BIG ONE" on board, yes you could take the chance and tow it back! I have a bad back so the less of the pulling and heaving the better, I've been thinking of a roof mounted "Warn" style winch over a pulley system to, get large fish through the tuna door. Anyone seen anything like this?

Jay cannot wait to see those Drawings of the 44 IPS I know I should have posted this else where but...... :lol:
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

85MonarkVC,

If your gonna pull a crab trap in Florida and need a big time winch or boom..." I think ya have your traps too deep". :lol:

Yeah, Unless your going full-time. It's all hand pull anyhow.....(5) is just playing. 250 is work.
85MonarkVC

Post by 85MonarkVC »

JETTYWOLF,

The crabs are much LARGER in Tampa Bay than they are in Jax.
Ever seen a 3' long shrimp? :D
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Post by 21ftcc »

This is what I think of when you say "crane". Was brought to one of my jobs I am on back in May.
[/list]
amfboats
Sponsor
Your location: Wanganui, NZ

Post by amfboats »

Nice Davits.
Years ago we done this one for a customer on a 580 Open Runabout, you can see it was years ago because these crappy scanned images are double exposed negatives. So if you look hard you will se the davit. :-)

We used a inner and outer tube and when we put a bends in it becomes double lamenated. So we didnt have to use any bracing. It fits in so well with the rocket launcher it looks like it almost isnt there!

I have ben trying look for the old photo I have of dad and a mechanic hanging off the davit over water. When I find it I will post it up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic