20 foot CC plans.

General boating discussion
bassboy1
Your location: Cartersville, Ga

20 foot CC plans.

Post by bassboy1 »

As some of y'all may have read in my introduction, I am interested in building a 20 foot center console, mostly for use striper fishing on the local reservoirs, but also light coastal fishing. By this, I mean fishing in the Atlantic Intracoastal, as well as various bays in the Gulf. Here is a list of the requirements.

Looking at 20 ish foot length, 7.5 to 8 foot beam with a 140 - 150 horse outboard.
Must be center console
Must have tee top.
Absolute minimum of a 30 gallon bait tank, with 40 gallon being better.
Bow casting deck for throwing a cast net, and casting bucktails and spoons.
Bow mount servo steered trolling motor, with FOB for use all around boat.
Ability to fish 3 people easily, and carry at least 6 for non fishing purposes.
Needs to be able to do light watersports, mainly just a little bit of tube pulling a couple times a summer
Trailered
I would like to have dry storage, as well as a rod locker, all locking, as I don't like unloading gear after each trip
Looking at 35 ish gal fuel capacity.

I am aiming at a 3/16 bottom thickness, and I am going to build it myself. Don't want to get the materials CNC cut - going to do all that myself. Will be MIG welding it, and I am still looking into various options for the machine currently at my service, or at a different machine.

Short of designing it myself, here is the plan I was looking at.
https://www.boatdesigns.com/products.asp?dept=878
http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/sli ... eshtr.html
http://glen-l.com/designs/hankinson/sna ... pho-2.html

This plan goes together by putting the stringers on a jig, and tacking the skin to that. Not that there is anything wrong that, but most I see are built by putting the skin in a jig, and building the structure into that. Plus, I have always like the look of the method I see most of these plate boats use, with the longitudinal and latitudinal stringers, as opposed to the solely transverse stringers with longitudinal stiffeners of the Glen L plan.

A couple questions here. For a 20 foot boat, of material no thicker than 3/16, that has merely a 12 degree deadrise, is the transverse rib with longitudinal stiffener method favorable to the aforementioned method seen on most of these platies?

Secondly, is there another set of plans of a similar hull design/dimension that I have yet to find. I don't really see problems with this one, but don't want to be stuck with one, if more exist. I don't think I am incapable of designing one myself, I just don't know I want to do that, at least with this particular build.

Also what is the whole advantage of the motor pod? Is that solely to have the motor in clearer water? Or does it also help by having a full transom in trailing seas? I live inland, so most of my experience is with freshwater boats, often bass boats, which use hydraulic jackplates, with as much as 12 inches of setback, on 19 - 21 foot NON ALLOY hulls, which have as much as 300 hp outboards, to run in the 70s and 80s, with many breaching 90, and a few even over 100mph. (Although, recently, one company has made a tinny that can really compete with these glass guys :clap: :lol: :grin: ) Is the whole pod idea solely to serve the same purpose as these jackplates?

Thanks,

bassboy1
welder
Site Admin

Re: 20 foot CC plans.

Post by welder »

Something like this...................
http://www.pacificboats.com/pacboats_016.htm
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
bassboy1

Post by bassboy1 »

welder wrote:Something like this...................
http://www.pacificboats.com/pacboats_016.htm
Affirmative. Actually studied that boat hard - all three models of the 2025 - after seeing a members 2025. I do like that hardtop....
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Julie @ pacific and Jay at Blacklab are VERY helpful . :highfive:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by peterbo3 »

http://www.bodenboatplans.com/power/det ... =92&page=0
G'Day Bassboy,
The link will take you to a 20' CC. I would like a slightly beamier boat than you propose. The Bodens are also designed
to be built onto the frames.
A bigger boat will not cost much more initially but will give you a wider range of use.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

How about something like this : http://www.ctmd.com.au/workboat.pdf

which is a different deck treatment on the boat below. Boat is built upright in a jig like the cat in the powercat thread. Otherwise check out the 5.8m designs at http://www.platealloy.com/5m-mono.htm We may be able to arrange cutfiles for clients outside of Australia

Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
bassboy1

Post by bassboy1 »

Those last two are a little big for me. Keep in mind, the majority of the use of this one is in inland reservoirs - most striper guys up here use Carolina Skiffs, and other glass bay boats, which to me seem like a glorified flats boat - I like something a little more substantial, but I need not have a deepwater sportfisher. Also, it will be trailered, and stored at my house, so I need the beam to be 8 feet or less (2.44 meters), to still have a bit of room for guide ons and such, with the 102" maximum trailer width (2.59 meters). I would like to keep the idea of the small center console, with only a tee top - no cabin, to allow maximum fishability around the boat. During the winter, we have no docks (they lower the lakes down in preparation for the spring thaw in the mountains), so I need to still be able to get in while beached, without the aid of ladders and such. The general shape and dimensions of the Glen L plan would suit me well, I am merely looking to see if there were any other similar plans to compare.

Thanks for all the suggestions! :clap:

bassboy1
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

Did you go to the plate alloy australia site? Have a look at the 5.3m barra/bass, a centre console could be easily added. The plate alloy boats are designed for home builders and are very easy to put together. Note. While I do business with PAA unless its one of my designs which this isn't I have nothing to gain from plugging them, but do so because they offer a great survice/product to the home builder.
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
bassboy1

Post by bassboy1 »

CTMD wrote:Did you go to the plate alloy australia site? Have a look at the 5.3m barra/bass, a centre console could be easily added.
Yes I did. However, I am looking at 20 foot, and that 5.4 meters doesn't quite fit the length bill. My goal is closer to 6.1 meters. How flexible is that hull design to lengthening?
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

It could definitely be lengthened, however, your adding up front cost which based upon your previous posts mights be prohibitive. The 20 feet sounds quite arbitrary is 18.7 really not enough?
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
bassboy1

Post by bassboy1 »

CTMD wrote: The 20 feet sounds quite arbitrary is 18.7 really not enough?
Not quite. When I first came up with this idea, I had the Glen L 18 foot model in mind, for a combination of size and yet still be economical. However, after looking at numerous other boats, and doing some interior layout drawings, I decided 20 feet will be a much better size for me. The change in cost from the 18 to 20 was worth it, but I don't want to spend much more on a 21 or so, as I don't feel the need for that much space. So, the original idea of 18 was arbitrary. 20 is pretty well suited for me, unless it is a design that requires much space to be taken up by a bow cover or something.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic