General boating discussion
Seefood Man
Sponsor
Your location: Woodland, WA

Man Overboard!

Post by Seefood Man »

Well yesterday I just about saw the news develop before my eyes. :titanic:

But let me back up a little.

At Kalama ramp I chatted with a man who was getting "ready" to launch his 24' Bayliner type of vessel. Nice enough guy and he said he was not familiar with the Columbia River. He was with his wife and five year old son.

So I back down as he is doing the same. I'm not paying real attention to his doings as I am focused on my vessel.

I then noticed he was having trouble unhooking his cable from the bow.
So, by now I have tied off my boat to the dock and go over to offer him a hand. He accepts, and I said to power up on the trailer so I can release the cable for you.

Veroom!!!! boat don't move. Again, VEROOOM boat don't move.
So I hold my hand up as to tell him to stop and I hop off the tongue of his trailer and jump up on the dock when I see he has the boat tied off to the dock,,,,,,,Here's Your Sign. :roll:

So we get the boat in the water and off I go about my business and so do they. Later, I see them swinging around anchored in the Trojan hole. I go over and noticed his anchor is just about straight down in about 90 foot of water. Politely, I mentioned he should let out more rode and he says he only has 150 foot and no buoy,,,,,,,,Here's Your Sign.

He mentions he wants to get a keeper sturgeon, Um, It's Wednesday, a no retention day
Just happen to have another sign here for you .

OK no harm, no fish there anyhow.

He thanks me for saving him a potential ticket. I say your welcome, I'll see you later,,,,,,,Little did I know how true that would be.

So about 30 minutes later I see him heading up river to me, then stop.
The boat turned sideways in the current, bow facing Washington, strong outgoing tide. I'm thinking he forgot to lift his anchor.

Now, I am looking at his starboard side, about 300 feet from me, and see
him climb out on the side and start to fiddle with his vinyl top.
Note to self, this is not a walk around boat.

Then I hear a yell and see this guy go in and under 43 degree water.

Grabbing the throttle and the mic, I spun the boat around on a dime and headed his way keeping an eye on him the entire time. Thank God the current kept him into the boat. He slid to the stern and around the swim platform and barely was able to get up on his swim platform. Wife and kid was below when this happened and did not have a clue he went into the drink.

When I got over to him, I asked if he was OK, he said yes, just cold.
Imagine that!

I just HAD TO ASK where his pfd was?

Really, I had to ask.

The answer I got was,,,,,,,
As he was laughing,,,he said
"I've been fishing since three years old and that never happened."

Now I'm thinking I've run out of signs.

I said he should go buy a lottery ticket

Moral to this story,

1. Wear a PFD!

2. If someone really can't get their boat off the trailer, don't help.
God probally knows something is about to happen.

Re: Man Overboard!

Post by welder »

And they Breed.......... :shocked:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

God watches over children & fools.

I'm glad you were there to help........I'll bet 'man overboard' was too!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I really try not to help these people anymore. I did once and was on the suffering end with 2 holes punched thru my old ping pong boat.

Like lightning strikes, and drop dead heart attack victims, there's nothing "WE" mortals can do for these folks. And many times the savior gets the damage or gets hurt.

After my adventure, I now limit my helping to near death accidents only.....problem is that guy was experiencing one!!

So what's the deal, Sturgeon on only "even" numbered days?? That crazy sounding.

What's that like, deer season? They know when your allowed to kill them? And have caught on to the schedule?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic