Big Alloy

Post your Alloy pictures here
jrogers
Donator '08

Big Alloy

Post by jrogers »

I was down in Washington last week running my boat around and ran across a couple of nice alloys that make mine look like a baby. The first one is in Shilshole marina. Now that is a nice tender.

The next one is in the yard where I store my boat. I would like to hear the story behind this one. It is a Rozema http://www.rozemaboatworks.com/products.html. It must be a government boat, I can't imagine a commercial fishing boat could make money starting with this high end of a boat.

Jim
Jim

JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Re: Big Alloy

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hey, ya know I've seen some boats that BLOW MY MIND that are just recreational boats, and come from Alaska where I can't believe so much money goes into 6 weeks of useage.....okay maybe 7?? :rotfl: :rotfl:
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

I've seen that passage maker over in Shilshole, pretty nice. Rozema's are top line boats, had one here in Eagle Harbor for awhile, owner got tired of me drooling on it . . .

When you gonna visit the island mon? Dying to see your boat!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Hey, ya know I've seen some boats that BLOW MY MIND that are just recreational boats, and come from Alaska where I can't believe so much money goes into 6 weeks of useage.....okay maybe 7?? :rotfl: :rotfl:
Yeah but its like spending 7 weeks in the best cat house you can imagine . . .
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Chaps wrote:I've seen that passage maker over in Shilshole, pretty nice. Rozema's are top line boats, had one here in Eagle Harbor for awhile, owner got tired of me drooling on it . . .

When you gonna visit the island mon? Dying to see your boat!

OK, now I am really kicking myself! I was right there and spaced it out. I was down last week running the boat around and working out the bugs. Most of my time was up north in Canada, but I did go down south to Shilshole to see my friends at Coastal Marine again. I still have a bug with my outdrive. It loses index very slowly as to what the angle of the drive is. They changed the potentiometer, but it still does it. They are going to look at it again next week. It is a minor thing, but I would like to have it behind me since I have no other issues at this point. The boat is at 40 hours already. The next scheduled trip is early may when we go to Alaska, but I will make a point of trying to stop by before leaving town and say hi.

I don't think I ever got around to posting these here. Here are a couple of shots from the sea trial with the boat.

Jim
Jim

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Hey! That looks remarkably like a Sea Wolf!

I figured ya got busy and forgot about us fellow AAB'ers. No problem, I'll just brow beat a ride out of you on my next trip up to Sarah's playground
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Looks like one hell of a cat house to me......!

Damn, that's awesome. I'd just love to see the faces of people at the boat ramp here if you pulled in and went down the ramp on a busy summer day.

And I think I get brow beat!

:shock: :shock: :shock:
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

40 hours already? That's a good week at the office. Well done, Jim. I love the looks of the Rozemas. They are true beasts on the water. Not bad for a "rich" Alaskan that can only boat for a few weeks each season, huh, Jetty. :wink:
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

You kids play nice.

:rotfl:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

It is all in jest, Welder. JW knows that. Days are getting longer up here and prawn season opens April 15th. :thumbsup:

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I'm cool with it :thumbsup:

BUT, how do we get fresh Prawns to my house on the 16th............... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lester,
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

That could be arranged. Probably not in April, but I could send some down in June.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

damn, rich Alaskans. There must be something in the snow water. (gold dust)

Whatever happened to Can-Can......there was a mystery wrapped in a riddle, for ya.
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

JETTYWOLF wrote:damn, rich Alaskans. There must be something in the snow water. (gold dust)

Whatever happened to Can-Can......there was a mystery wrapped in a riddle, for ya.
Case is active on a local site I frequent. I believe that the Can Can is going to be used for recreational use due to the restrictions on the halibut charter industry in SE AK. Rumor has it that his wife wants him to get a "real" job instead of a "reel" job. :shock: Oh yea, it's not gold dust. That was back in the 1800's, now we are into black gold.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Dang, he was all into that, and married too?

Holy Halibut!!

Maybe, we just weren't all that exciting.

Did he say that he jumps back and forth from Alaska to Louisiana, charter fishing at one time? He wouldn't reveal any secrets I remember....."if it was him I was dicussing it with."
Or was I just imagining that? Because I'd like to relocate myself. But can't, because I'm beat down so bad, here.

I understand now, why no one but a few, ever get outa the "Ghetto-hood" in the big nasty cities.
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Jetty,

I met Case this winter in Juneau when I was there on business. He has a new baby, so I imagine life has changed for him a bit and it is harder to be gone chartering all the time.

Pete,

I noticed on your picture of your GC your davit is out when you are running and the motor is lashed down to the davit somehow. Can you show me how this is set up? Mine rotates up to the front and ties down to the cabin, but I can see how it would be easier to do it your way.

Jim
Jim

CanCanCase
Your location: Charleston, OR

Post by CanCanCase »

Me? An Enigma??? Wow... I've been called a lot of things in my day, but dang!

I disappeared a bit when my 'net time got restricted... having a newborn around seriously limits one's sleep to internet to work ratio.

Okay, here's the plan for THIS year... the charter industry in Alaska is falling apart. Too much regulation and limitations on sport fishermen have taken the fun out of that "reel job" for me. I decided back in Sept. to take my big aluminum toy and try to get back to the FUN of it all... (Isn't that why we really do all this anyway?)

My wife (the cajun gal from Mississippi) got a super job offer at the Coos Bay, OR hospital, so we're officially re-locating there come July. In the meantime, I've got a pair of trips owed to friends - a bear hunt and the annual Little Norway trip to Petersburg. Day after those trips are over, I'll run the Can Can to LaConner and let Stennar and the crews convert her back in to private use... unwind a few of the hard years of service I've put on her. Then, by the time we get moved in down there, tuna season will be in high swing, and I'll have a slip in Charleston to keep her.

I think that's about it for my update... Oh, that and my bride came home smelling like smoked meat... that's gotta be good, right? ;-)

-Case
M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Charleston, OR
Boating is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Case , dang glad to see ya again and yep, them youngster's will take a bunch-O-time :smitty: I have my grand kids here most of the time-work full time and run a web site .
But hey, it's fun after all the smoke and dust settles . :highfive:
Lester,
CanCanCase
Your location: Charleston, OR

Post by CanCanCase »

Oh, I meant to offer my expertise regarding the actual topics of this thread (and not just a personal update to hijack things!) Both boats are Rozema's. The Abyssinia (the North Sea Trawler design) frequents my neck of the woods each year. She's a registered charter up here, and does much of the medium yacht/adventure chartering that is so popular now. Back when I was still looking at building a new boat, we were quoted $3.9M for something comparable - then again, I wanted to use Jim's boat as a tender in those days!

As for making a buck in commercial fishing starting with that high-end of a boat, it's easy... when you're GIVEN a few million bucks worth of IFQ, you can certainly afford to blow a million+ on a boat to go fish it. The new guys who have had to buy in are the morons who are suffering now that they can't catch enough to cover the mortgage on their boats or fishing licenses. (Oops, did I just make a political statement? sorry!!!)

-Case
jrogers wrote:I was down in Washington last week running my boat around and ran across a couple of nice alloys that make mine look like a baby. The first one is in Shilshole marina. Now that is a nice tender.

The next one is in the yard where I store my boat. I would like to hear the story behind this one. It is a Rozema http://www.rozemaboatworks.com/products.html. It must be a government boat, I can't imagine a commercial fishing boat could make money starting with this high end of a boat.

Jim
M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Charleston, OR
Boating is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

jrogers wrote: Pete,

I noticed on your picture of your GC your davit is out when you are running and the motor is lashed down to the davit somehow. Can you show me how this is set up? Mine rotates up to the front and ties down to the cabin, but I can see how it would be easier to do it your way.

Jim
Sorry to miss your question, Jim. I guess I never revisited this post. I do not have a very good picture of it but I will attach what I have. It is really quite simple. I take a short bungee and wrap it around the sheave and back onto itself. I then attach a longer bungee to the hooks of the smaller one and attach it to the cleat on my davit. When I am fishing, I rotate the davit 180* forward so that it is out of the way. You are more than welcome to stop by and check it out if you would like.

pete

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic