pacific v2325 trim tabs

General boating discussion
pacific time

pacific v2325 trim tabs

Post by pacific time »

I have a question regarding trim tabs.I have a v2325 hardtop powered by a 150 honda.I do not have trim tabs on this boat now.My problem is that when she is fully loaded(full gas tank,4-6 people and gear)I have a hard time getting on plane quickly.I have to send a few people to the front to get the bow down.Once it planes out it runs great.I have never had a boat with trim tabs and would like to know if they would solve my problem?If so what brand do you have installed on your boat?I have started to leave the gas tank at half full as we only have a 20 mile max run here on the great lakes but I would like to improve my take off if possible.

Thanks in advance
Todd
poppi57
Your location: CT

Re: pacific v2325 trim tabs

Post by poppi57 »

Hey Todd,
I've talked to two owners of 23's with 150 hondas. First one said boat is slow to get on plane but moves along similar to what you're experiencing. He said if he purchased another 23 it would be w/a 225. He does not have trim tabs. I spoke to another owner who did some modifications on his boat. He raised the engine on the transom as far as it would go and added trim tabs. He said its a completely different boat and can almost hit 40mph. I would love to hear more from 23' owners with 150's to see what their experiences have been and what modifications/adjustments they've made. Prop sizes can have a great influence on getting you on plane quicker but you may loose minor top end speed. I've also wondered if anyone has added a hydrofoil to their engines to help.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pacific time, do you already have the plates on the transom with the tapped holes ? If so those are predone for LENCO tabs .

And yes with tabs down a little it will help keep the bow down when starting out then go to tabs up when on a plane.

Like said above ^^^^ I would also work with the prop 1st and work with the tilt on the motor to get a better hole shot with a load in the boat and of course Tabs will not hurt a bit to have when needed.

If you need the plates for the tabs [ No holes drilled in hull ] contact Jay Perrotta, I think he can get them prefabbed for your hull. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Exactly what Lester said :thumbsup:

Very simple to install in a few hours :thumbsup:

pacific time

Post by pacific time »

yes, the mounting plates with the tapped holes are in place already.What size lenco's are you guy's using?Thanks for the pics alloy toy.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

12"X12"

And there a piece of cake to install.
Lester,
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

ditto........MO' HORSES. Solves all that.
hipacboats

Post by hipacboats »

Todd,
I have the v23 ht with trim tabs and it does help to get on a plane. But I also have the 225 so power isn't an issue. My last boat was a whaler and I had the same problem. I added a "dolfin", its a bolt of fin that mounts to the leg of your motor and it helped and is a much cheaper alternative. With that said, I am really glad I put the trim tabs on my boat. Mainly for that ride quality. Being able to bring the bow down in chop takes that already good ride of the Pacific and makes it great.
capeannfisherman

Post by capeannfisherman »

Get the tabs. I went the first two seasons without the tabs and only had trouble with a head sea when conditions demanded you slow down , I couldn't stay on plane. Now in the same conditions I put down the tabs and slow down and can stay on plane. Huge difference in ride when you need it most.
Adrian
Night Runner
16/65
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Put Lenco trim tabs on last year.What a nice toy! Got the plates from Julie at Pacific.Nice to be able to trim port and starboard. Many guests in a small boat don't realize that they rack you up just by their position in the boat. I no longer have to ask them to move around, hit the switch and were good. Helps when taking waves at the quarters too. Great idea!
:thumbsup:
kodiak lodge
Your location: larsen bay alaska

Post by kodiak lodge »

Have two of the same boat with 150hp motors bought the first boat w/out tabs and the second with tabs.
Trim tabs are a must have with your set up, it will be a completely different boat , it will come up on step far quicker,
allow for unbalanced loads and beam sea running as well as increase economy.
I installed the electric lemco tabs on the older boat as well as my new 29 footer and i love em!
super easy to install and they react much quicker than the hydraulic tabs.
Good Luck
bob
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

always "over -do" your tab size, is what I've always done.

The ones I have on my boat really have to move to do anything radical, since they aren't all that large. When I use them which isn't all that often.

On my last boat I had 12X18's and holy roll-over batman.....did they really do the job. Just a bump and that's all it took.
One time the old, very old original Lenco switch I had got stuck and I swore I was going over. Glad I was alone.

It sounds extreme, but that added waterline even "up" helped tremendously on my old boat.

Which can not hold a candle or even a Bic Lighter to my Pacific 26' CC.
Boat-13-.jpg
It's too bad, some boats actually need tabs. Since mine are just a luxury item, like having extra cup holders.
pacific time

Post by pacific time »

What did you use to seal off the wires for the trim tabs where they go thru the hull? Where did you purchase this?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Call Jay at at Blacklab or Julie at Pacific and ask for the Grommets , I know Julie has them .
Lester,
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Lenco's come with everything ya need. When I installed mine on my old boat I started at 8am and was in the water by noon with dad's help.

This time the Pacific 26 footer came from the factory with them on. I asked for them.

All they use is sealant around the water-tight grommets that come with the tabs.

I can't seem to post a larger photo....don't know what happened, but if you look the power cable goes into the hull and does so thru a connector. It's all pretty self explainatory if you have it all in front of you. And as as pie to install on "OUR" boats because 1/2 the work is done for you.

I believe if you have the mounting holes thay may already be "tapped", and no nuts are needed for the ram and tab conection to the mounting plate, if they do not have threads tapped yet, you'll have to do that too.
Again, a sealant was used on mine to keep em tight.
Boat-13-.jpg
why this photo is so small, I haven't a clue?????

Big W???

CLICK ON PHOTO AND YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO SEE IT LARGER.

Where the cable goes into the side of the hull, is the water tight connector you get with Lenco's. Dab a bit of sealant on them and tighten them up after you drill hole and put on connector loose and then push cable into hull.

Even Lenco's have come a long way. My old ones were from the original owner/designer before he sold out to the Miami Boys that own them now. They brought the company up to speed and into the more technical world. The switches now are all electronic and the parts and pieces are really well thought out.

I had the first Lenco's in my whole area way back in 1997, and I remember people saying..."Electric trim tabs??
Thats BullSh-t. They'll never work right."

When I sold the boat the tabs were 10 years old and I only replaced the switch, with the ones the new owners of Lenco developed. I guess all my opinionated associates were WRONG, huh?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

hERE'S SOME MORE PICS. HOPE THEY HELP OUT.

THIS CONNECTOR COMES WITH THE LENCO'S
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0012.JPG
PICT0015.JPG
HEY, THAT NEEDS SOME CLEANIN' UNDER THERE! :soap: YEAH......SOAP!
pacific time

Post by pacific time »

Thanks for all of the advice on this issue.I finally broke down and installed the lenco trim tabs on my boat a few weeks ago.All that I can say is wow, these sure do make the boat handle a lot different.We were tournament fishing this past weekend on Lake Ontario and were making 30 mile one way runs in 2-3 foot seas and with the tabs partially down we were able to smooth out the ride and cruise 30mph no problem.It also took care of my holeshot problem,enabling me to get on plane much quicker.I sure wish I had not waited 4 seasons to get these installed.

captain Todd Pavlik
www.pacifictimesportfishingcharters.com
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic