Opinions on my next project

General boating discussion
v26wa

Opinions on my next project

Post by v26wa »

As many of you know , my boat is actively for sale. In this economy, I think I'll still have her next year. My thoughts are to remove the rear bait station & apply non-skid where it came out. I also want to cut open gunnel openings for storage and to install flush mount rod holders. Just like the boats come from the factory. The previous owner kept them closed & opted to have them foam filled for floatation. In doing so I think that I will have to eliminate the rear section of the rails to accommodate enough room for the reels when the rods are in the holders. My questions are, Do you think this will effect the value of the boat ? Where should I add rod holders for storage ? The shop I spoke to says that he can remove this & still make it usable if anyone ever wanted to reinstall it ? Its AWESOME for bottom fishing & bait fishing , but gets in the way for tuna fishing & casting. Its a tough decesion. Looking foward to all of your input ! Here is some pics.
Attachments
DSC00944 [640x480].JPG
DSC00944 [640x480].JPG (117.78 KiB) Viewed 7738 times
sml bait station.jpg
sml bait station.jpg (63.83 KiB) Viewed 7736 times
sml concole.jpg
sml concole.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 7737 times
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Re: Opinions on my next project

Post by AlloyToy »

I think if it were me I'd cut holes in the side boxes for flush mount rod holders, find a manufacturer that makes flush mount holders from aluminum and weld them right to the box. The hell with the factory idea SS thru bolt stuff...much stronger welding them than backing them then bolting them...just my opinion.......I think (but am not sure) that when you open those boxes up it will be a can of worms with the foam :shock:

I can see where the tackle station may get in the way with the BFT fishing.....I like all the storage though :thumbsup:

How much room between the sides of the cabin, and the gunnel boxes?? Rod storage room there??

I'd love to see the boat sometime when I'm out your way.....
Occams Razor
Your location: Rhode Island

Post by Occams Razor »

V26WA:

Man I love those walk around pilot houses ! I know of your hull, Jay told me it was for sale because I had asked him about putting one of those WA pilot houses on my 26. The only thing I would hate to give up is the clearance I have around my center console. I would not worry about removing the bait station. It can be done so cleanly and after applying the none skid you will never know it was there at all. Like your guy said it can always be put back on or even sold if you don't want it !
If you love the hull why worry , I'll tell you that every mod I have seen done to these plate alloy hulls nearly always looks better when people take their time in doing the work. That is the beauty of this stuff ! Definately empty those side compartments ! Mine are open and I love it that way. I put those fold up chairs in there and push them all the way forward and you don't even know they are there. You deafinately are giving up major storage having them foamed. Why the previous owner did that I have know idea. The true hull bouyancy is below deck not 3 feet above the water line unless of course you flip the hull upside down. That would make it even harder to flip over though hmmmmm. Anyhow if you own her and you like her don't be affraid to mod her the way you want her. Just my observation sir.
CTMD

Post by CTMD »

The foam around the sides provides "Level floatation" If your boat has all its floatation under the sole and it gets swamped then you might discover that it is actually more stable upside down. By putting a large percentage of the foam near gunwale height you create a boat that will remain upright even when totally flooded. So the decision to cut into those compartments is actually a risk analysis exercise.

How far offshore do you fish?
Is there much traffic (potential rescuers) in the areas you fish?
Do you wear / keep life jackets in an easy to access location? Could you get to them if the boat is capsized?
Chris Tucker Marine Design
Your Boat Your Way.
www.ctmd.com.au
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

Thanks for the info CTMD, that is what the previous owner told me but I questioned it. Having a boat that wont sink or flip is a great asset to offshore fishing ! I hope I will never have to test this theory. I think with your info & Alloy's weld in rod holder idea I have a the answer. However I can not decide on the bait station. I LOVE it sometimes & HATE it sometimes. Keep the advice coming ! Great info !!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I have wide open Gunnel boxes.(factory standard issue) And I do not believe it'll be all that EZ to put rods and reels inside them.

You're better off then me though. I have in gunnel rod holders poking thru, and that makes for only "short" spaces in side.
Believe it or not I like to lay rods in my "under gunnel" trays. Easier on the rods and easier to get a rod out.
I see you have trays too.

But I use small inshore reels that fit in the trays. I'm not using 6/0 Penn Coffee grinders.

I like your deck box there....but I can see it being in the way too. That sure was set-up to be a mini party boat for the bottom fishing crowd, that's plain to see.

You could cut it out/off, real nicely and have it where it could bolt back in. With some threaded nuts recessed in the deck and welded, then drop in the box and have 4 to 6 - 1/2 inch bolts screw in the deck thru the box to just hold it down. A bit more work, and modification, but 100% still useful to the next guy.

Do you know the deck non-skid manufacture? I do, if you want to re-apply. And since it's an older boat, you'll have to probably do the entire deck over again. To get it to match. I love "our" non-skid deck material. It's easily orderable and they recomend a "carpet roller".....But I still can't find one of those locally. Yeah believe that or not.

It cost me $80 for the exact same stuff Pacific uses per gallon......$50 of that was hazardous shipping fee via UPS!!!!
They're in Washington. I bought one gallon to re-do my entire deck. Haven't done it yet though. Probably this fall.

Nothing you have planned is cheap to do.

I like that boat, always have. I'd run the snot out of it and keep dreams alive for a sale in the future. Why spend more $$ when you may never get it back.

But then you're reading a post by a guy who's like a Jamaican immigrant......I have 10 jobs and neither pays good right now.
So what the "F" do I know.
Occams Razor
Your location: Rhode Island

Post by Occams Razor »

Hi All:

I agree that the foam floatation high in the gunnels will provide stable floatation when a hull is capsized. It will sit higher in the water but unfortunately will be harder to upright on the open water with another boat. It is easier for a hull sitting deeper in the water to be righted that one that sits high. Buy using duel lines run under the hull while capsized then back up over the bottom of the hull and secured to gunnel cleats the lines may be pulled rapidly and the hull will roll back upright. If it sits too high in the water when you try to pull it, it will skid along and be much harder to roll over. Nobody wants to see this situation however if it does happen CC hulls can usually be uprighted fairly easily using this method.
These pacific hulls will drian in just a couple of minutes using this method because they are already very floatatious.
Had to perform this very procedured two years ago at the mouth of Narragansette bay. 18 foot trophy rolled over when both occupants were fishing off one side not paying attention to the rollers. Well over it went about 6 in th the morning and I was my Pacific 26 jigging about 100 yards away. I watched the whole thing happen and motored rite over to lend assistance. I asked the owner if you would like me to rite his hull for him and he told me to (have at it !) he and his buddy got back in the water after I towed the hull further away from the reef and ran the lines just as I asked them to. Everyone back in my boat (love that tuna door!) and a little gental tug and over it came. Had it all done before the coasties got to us. They asked me how I got the hull righted and I told them. They said it was risky but glad it went well. I tried the sane thing with a small skiff and it just skid across the surface of the water. That was my own personel experience.
steve-r
Your location: Vancouver

Post by steve-r »

if you remove the bait station you could always mount a bait cutting board on the transom surface.
i prefer the open space and flexibility to load extra gear if we're camping/hunting, chairs, or work an active fish.
as for rod holders, welded in place is a strong solution.. but then they are always there. i use FishOn rod holders by Tempress. they can be removed and put away when you're done for the day, and they can be rail mounted (no need to cut them off ) or flushmounted on the inside of the gunnel without affecting the storage area under your gunnel. have a look here - http://www.tempress.com/store/product_i ... s_id=72012 ( ps.. no affiliation! ) my .o2 :smile:
Steve Ronson
18' Kellahan CC
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

The island was done nicely, but it does hurt the boats appeal of showing it with a large uncluttered open rear deck for the buyer to set up (or imagine) as he wants to do.

The bait board can spill over the side and the coolers can probably fit up against the front wall of the cabin. I also think that rigged poles with treble hooks are best kept up and out of harms (lower legs) way so some top rod holders might also be in order for a more conventional look that more people will be interested in. Jay sells them this way and he is no dummy.

Just my opinion. Good luck!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I have no foam in my boxes...and the last thing I ever think of is "rolling over", and how she'd float if so. It's rediculas to not have the xtra storage.

Maybe the original owner was afraid of capsizing some day? It's a 26...it should have loads of room and lots of places to put stuff.
v26wa

Post by v26wa »

I agree Jetty, however the cabin model has a TON of storage under the seats & helm. More than I need. That being said, I think the extra "security" may be worth keeping ? I appreciate your input !
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

I'd leave the storage/seating/bait station & rod holders in place.
From your pictures, it looks to be welded to the floor.
I think that it will take some serious hacking and cutting to get it out of there. Not to mention, you will have to refinish the floor in that area.
It does look like some great seating for your passengers.
I'm with alloy about opening up a can of worms if you cut holes in the foam filled compartments. You don't want saltwater getting between the foam and aluminum. The salt crystals will sit there and act like cancer from the inside out.

Out here on the left coast, it is pretty standard to have the rods stored up on the hard top.
It looks like your outriggers take up a lot of the back portion of the top. You could get a rail welded on the top sides and weld the tubes to the rail
Mojomizer's ride

Keep and use the rear holders for immediate use and put the spares up top
Let's face it, you can never have too many rod holders on a fishing boat :wink:

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Don't all Pacific walk-around cabins come with a bushy lipped statue on the roof.....because I sure do see alot of photos with one. Maybe, that's what 26WA is missing.

Boat is not complete with all factory hardware. Thus over looked by die-hards.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic