Heading east

Talk About Everything Else...
Sports, Toys, The Weather, etc.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Heading east

Post by Chaps »

Hey guys, heading out to Boston in early July with the brood to see a couple of people and we were thinking of doing a mini road trip up to Montreal at the same time. I've been in the city a couple of times way back on quicky business trips but haven't ever really seen much of Boston, New England or eastern Canada.

Any suggestions for routes, places to stay or see on that kind of a trip from the NE AAB brethren here would be appreciated.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Re: Heading east

Post by 21ftcc »

Chaps let me when you are around.

If your in Boston, check out "The littlest Bar". Fenway does ball park walks. Freedom trail is "alright"... nothing bust stuff to see. July 4th there always the fireworks. There is the art museum, MIT museum and a lot more. There is the Sam Adams beer tour too, its free.

Also Montreal is about 6hrs north by car. I would be up for a trip. Make sure you have your passport now too.

Also check out trip advisor for things to do. Any time we go somewhere for a trip we check out the places first.
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... setts.html
clambo
Donator '22

Post by clambo »

Lot's of things to do and see. What are your interests? Let me know and i will try to help. :beer:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

I almost forgot, there is a guy in boston that does free walking tours. He does it for tips but is very very good from what I hear. I will try and get you the info.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

If you have time to head to Cape Cod you won't be disappointed. The National Sea Shore has some of the most beautiful beaches & views in New England. And even better if you can take a ferry to The Vineyard or Nantucket. If not then Boston its self has one hell of a maritime history. You can book every hour of every day with things to do in B Town..... Great restaurants, lots of entertainment as well....awesome place to visit

And remember some of us out here don't pronounce our "R's" Caaa, Yaad, Chowda, Paaak, Stripa :mrgreen:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Thanks for the tips guys . . . looking forward to checking out that part of the world. Accents like the car guys? I'm ready! :beer:
Tin Cup
Donator10, 22

Post by Tin Cup »

Not sure what your interests are but seeing the Sox in Fenway is always a good time, but not cheap. You can easily buy tickets on ebay or infront (scap) of the stadium before the game. Duck Tours sound corny but you get a great tour. The raw bar at the Union Oyster House is always fun if your walking the freedom trail. Also check out the North End. This list could get big quick, lots to see...
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Tin Cup wrote:Not sure what your interests are but seeing the Sox in Fenway is always a good time, but not cheap. You can easily buy tickets on ebay or infront (scap) of the stadium before the game. Duck Tours sound corny but you get a great tour. The raw bar at the Union Oyster House is always fun if your walking the freedom trail. Also check out the North End. This list could get big quick, lots to see...
Yeah, Boston is sounding like a great spot to spend some time. Whats the countryside and towns to the north heading towards Canada like? Thats got to be gorgeous . . .
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

When you hit VT there is nothing but smoking hippies and sheep.
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10
Your location: Mid Coast Maine

Post by aluminumdreamer »

Get out to the Cape, like Alloy said. Lots of good food, people, and sites. And if you are feeling adventurous head out to Provincetown for the freak show. :rotfl: Actually there is alot of good stuff to see in P-town. It's out of the way, but the Maine coast is beautiful also.

Good luck, and have fun.

Nate
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

P-Town
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Hey, I thought we had the monopoly on that kind of action out here on the left coast. Guess there's nutballs everywhere . . . :thumbsup:
21ftcc
Donator '09

Post by 21ftcc »

careful how you use the word nut-balls around there
M1911

Post by M1911 »

If you are in Boston, take a tour of Boston Harbor or a whale watch. Boats leave from the pier next to the Aquarium downtown.
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Chaps:

As everyone said, there's lots to see and do in Boston proper -- could easily spend 3 or 4 days there
doing something different every day. Cape Cod is a must see. Its a long ride and will take you in the
opposite direction than Montreal. One option is the passenger ferry to Cape Cod from Boston which
(if it's still running) is much more direct than circumnavigating Cape Cod Bay by car.

There's actually two capes one on either side of Boston. The "other cape" is Cape Ann. A nice day trip from
Boston-Gloucester. If anyone in the family is salty, Gloucester will appeal :). Salem is on the way and
that's worth an hour or two. Peabody Essex Museum (founded by sea captains), House of Wax, witch
burial ground, etc. Gloucester has beaches, fisherman's harbor, Rocky Neck art colony, mansions along
Eastern Point and lighthouse. Stay away from Rockport if you're allergic to kitsch. :)

Boston-Montreal trip is an easy drive thru NH and Vermont. Interstate the whole way until after the border.
Stopoffs include Woodstock, Vt and Burlington, VT. Burlington is small city on the shores of Lake Champlain.
Good restaurants, some shopping, UVM, very picturesque viewing the Adirondack Mountains across the lake.
You'll also pass thru the Green Mountains which is scenic (not quite as big as the Olympics or Cascades)

Can provide specifics of anything mentioned above if that's of interest.

Oh, there might be a parade for the Celtics end of June/ beginning July. :)

-tom
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Illgotoo wrote:Chaps:

Oh, there might be a parade for the Celtics end of June/ beginning July. :)

-tom
That's a good one! :beer:

Tom, I keep thinking about you as a Seattle local and forgetting that you're a Massachusetts transplant. I'll be giving you a call to chat about our trip. I would just as soon hang close to Beantown and coastal environs for the whole time but its looking like a loop up into Canada is in the cards . . .
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Chaps:

>> Tom, I keep thinking about you as a Seattle local

Not quite there yet but working on it...

I'm in Boston now until end of July. (Getting the house ready for sale)
Do not hesitate to call.

Montreal can be good fun. It's a short way to go for a big culture change.
French spoken and much more European feel to the city. If you have time
and/or its already in the cards, it can be well worth the trip.
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic