First salt water trip in the new boat.

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Vancouver, WA

First salt water trip in the new boat.

Post by Gundog »

I spent a week in Brookings for my maiden salt adventure in my new Wooldridge pilot house. I am thrilled in the performance of this boat I cannot compare it to other boats this size because this is my biggest boat I have owned. I have fished the Brookings area in a 20' trophy and my last boat was a 21' Seahawk. This new boat can't be compared to those other crafts.

The first day we went out we had 6-7' swells @ 7 seconds with some wind chop on top. I ran the boat out going into it at about 10 knots we could have gone faster but not without some back pain. We ran in that day with the swells @ about 14-18 knots it was a little smoother not as square as the morning run out.

We fished rock fish @ Mac Arch a little over 15 miles from port. We limited on blacks and blues and released a small keeper ling that day. We also caught a nice Vermillion rock fish but we had left the reg book on shore and I was not sure if we could keep it so it went back unharmed. I fish in close around the rocks in shallow water 50' or less most of the time. This is the first Vermillion I have caught in that shallow of water.

Lucky for us the conditions improved each day and the last day we fished it was pretty flat so my 2 1/2 year old Grandson Jacob got to come along. Jacob caught his first rock fish on the boat and it was a hoot he really liked it, he got to help reel in a lot of fish it was a great memory for grandpa. We ran out about 30 knots and had a great day limited by noon and headed in.

All together we kept 3 lings a couple small ones 4-7 Lbs and one bruiser 35 Lbs. I normally release the big ones but we decided to keep this one.

The boat performed great and is a joy to fish out of I have burned a total of 100 gallons so far in 26.5 hours of use. I have made 2 river runs testing it and the rest of the time 20 hours running in the salt if I had to guess I would say I have ran a total of 150 to 180 miles plus some idling around while drift fishing.

I was pretty disappointed in the performance of my last boat when I got it eventually repairs made it better but I never considered it a big water boat. This boat is very impressive to me I took a friend of mine out while in Brookings he is a commercial fisherman and has fished the area since he was a kid he is a 3rd generation commercial fisherman. He complimented on how well the boat handled so that made me feel really good.

Sorry for no pictures my daughter in-law has the pictures on her camera and I have not got any yet I will make another post when I have some pictures.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Re: First salt water trip in the new boat.

Post by mojomizer »

Glad to read you maiden salt water voyage went so well. I look forward to seeing your pictures. Good call on when in doubt releasing is the best policy. Ling Cod tastes great :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

It's GREAT to hear from a satisfied customer and of course some tasty fish always helps.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

Mike get ready. Time will come here shortly for Neah Bay. Right Now you can get a crew up and it the Bullets running off the coast. Sacrifice some TUNA on her deck.

Awaiting pictures.
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic