Do I need a bilge pump?

General boating discussion
SJD
Your location: Cape Cod

Do I need a bilge pump?

Post by SJD »

My 2005 pacific 2025 does not have a bilge pump. Self bailing water tight deck etc. I use the boat for near shore ocean fishing and family outings, no offshore use at this time. Boat is stored on trailer but tied to dock in water for up to two weeks at a time. Never have had any significant amount of water in the bilge.. I see that these boats now come with bilge pump as standard equipment. Is this something I need?
21ftcc
Donator '09
Your location: Worcester, MA

Re: Do I need a bilge pump?

Post by 21ftcc »

A bilge pump is an personal option, just like brakes are for a vehicle. Not everyone comes with them.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pump is your call, your hull is foam filled and the amount of foam below deck is more buoyant than your gross load [ boat, motor and gear.]

BUT

If you blow a deck hatch or ruin a seal on a deck hatch you can fill the voids below deck with water but don't panic just yet , My 23 Pacific , if I remember right will hold about 140 gallons of water and lower my stern about 1" [ inch ] at rest.

The pump will allow you to pump what water gets down there [ If any ] out with out having to put your ride back on the trailer to pull the plug.

In my '06 hull , if I pull the stern hatch there is a bracket to mount a pump , that's cool that Pacific plans ahead, kind of like the trim tab brackets.

FYI, your fuel tank is NOT foamed in and water can run from the bow to the stern , if any water gets in , that way she can dry out .
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Yikes 21ftcc I would like to see your vehicle dealership. :rotfl: "I'll take the break option please."

The guys with bilge pumps do you feel any safer?????

Mark
2325 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Guys remember that a bilge pump with an auto switch has constant 12V to the switch. Make sure the wires are not laying down inside the bilge in any saltwater or that could be a recipe for disaster :idea:
aluminumdreamer
Donator '10
Your location: Mid Coast Maine

Post by aluminumdreamer »

Bilge pump = piece of mind.
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

My 1925 has been in the water for over 2 months, so far I have sponged out about 8 ounces of water, I assume it from from condensation with temp fluctuations. I thought about a bilge pump but I do not think it would pick up the tiny amount of water that is there.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

OK, here we go down the road to SAFETY...

Use tin coated wire.
Solder all connections.
Use a Quality pump [ NO SPARKS] we are below deck.
Secure ALL wires to prevent rubbing, nicking or flopping around .
Use the right hose.
Double SS hose clamps EVERYWHERE .
Measure twice drill once.

Make us proud if you install a pump AND we want pictures of the install.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Mac,

Does your boat have the Armstrong deck plates??? They don't seal out the rain the best as the heat warps them...

I'll be replacing mine in the off season with these:

http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 4,134.html

My bilge pump bracket is beneath the motor hatch......I don't have one
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

AlloyToy wrote:Mac,

Does your boat have the Armstrong deck plates??? They don't seal out the rain the best as the heat warps them...

Yes, it has two of the Armstrong deck plates.
Those replacements look nice but very pricey.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

AlloyToy wrote:Mac,

My bilge pump bracket is beneath the motor hatch......I don't have one

EITHER DO I.

So you are going cast water tight alloy huh AlloyToy?????

I want to also. Take pics and lets see the welding. If you'r welding them in. That's what I want to do. But again. Do I trust a T-top guy for that?

What I do every few weeks is pop my back stern deck plate and drop in the hose off my shop vac and suck out any condensation. I believe even though I switched out the crappy Armstronmg deck plates with Bomar Plastic screw-ins I still get water coming in a bit from them. I wantz me sum of those COOL commercial looking deck plates....but the prices are HIGH, HIGH, HIGH!
wreckfisher

Post by wreckfisher »

My 04 hull filled with water, twice. Once in November when I forget to reconnect wash-down pump lines (fear of freezing).

The second time, was the rear hatch warped and allowed it to fill. Both times water was over the inside tank sending unit access. Both times I came in no problems on plane, with 6 people!!! My boat is a 23' with twin Yam F115.

My only concern was the feeling when everyone was on one side of the boat, and the water was about 1" from the cowlings going under.

Pacific was awesome, and sent me a bilge pump that I installed.

I'll try to find some pics of the water level as compared to the cowlings, and I'll take some of the install.

I charter my boat, so I have it to make sure I don't have to come in early from a trip.

Captain Tom.
The fish potters are killin me!
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

I like bilge pumps and yes they are piece of mind. In my mind any way's as my boat has 4 chambers and no foam. If Pacific puts a bracket in for one why would they not supply the pump as STANDARD equipment???
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hello Sculpin how are you doing??? Bet your son grew over the summer :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Older model Pacific Boats did not come with bilge pump. Newer models it is a standard option.

http://www.pacificboats.com/pacboats_024.htm

Mark
2326 Wa Pacificskiff
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
SJD
Your location: Cape Cod

Post by SJD »

I decided to keep it simple and go without a bilge pump. Never have had any water in the bilge...
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

mojomizer wrote:Hello Sculpin how are you doing??? Bet your son grew over the summer :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Older model Pacific Boats did not come with bilge pump. Newer models it is a standard option.

http://www.pacificboats.com/pacboats_024.htm

Mark
2326 Wa Pacificskiff

Hey Mojo,

He is growing like a weed big time. My shoe size is an average 9 he wears 9.5 all ready!!!

Thanks for the clarification on the pumps on the newer model Pacific's. Hope all is well with your family. How is your soccer girl doing? Haven't seen many fishing shots of her this year!!!!
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic