Getting to market a new fishing product???

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Seefood Man
Sponsor
Your location: Woodland, WA

Getting to market a new fishing product???

Post by Seefood Man »

Need some advice here guys. I have been developing a new piece of terminal tackle. Finally after toying with this for the past three to four years I feel I really came up with something "New & Improved".
A few things about the "product".
It can be easily used for multispecies, it is a drastic variation and improvement of another popular piece of terminal tackle.
It can be duplicated, but not easily, in a garage. So, I don't think it is worth patenting.
What I really would like to do is get credit (Name Sake) for it and of course make some money on it as well.

What are your ideas and experiences to get it from my garage to a tackle store near you?

Thanks in advance
Sincerely
Pete Grace
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Vancouver, WA

Re: Getting to market a new fishing product???

Post by Gundog »

Pete,
I think you should think about a patent but answer this question if someone copies it will the infringement cost you more than $50K because that is how much a simple patent infringement case would cost you in attorney fees. I said simple infringement case not a drawn out case with a huge corporation.

You can start with a provisional patent that you can do yourself for $100 it is good for a year and allows you to see if the product is viable and saves your start date for your new product it also allows you to legally use the term Patent Pending. In that year you can see if it is worth pursuing and try and sell the idea or product to another company.

If you decide to go with a patent use an attorney to file after the provisional portion. I have an attorney I use for patents that I can give you info for if you like he is in Vancouver. A design patent is cheaper and easier to get than a utility patent. I design patent patents a look for example a body of a car. A utility patent patents a function of a product or functions.

Mike

Read up here http://www.uspto.gov/patents/resources/ ... rovapp.jsp
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Re: Getting to market a new fishing product???

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Pete,

I too have and use a very copy'able hand made piece of terminal tackle myself. Really nothing like it anywhere.
And if ya wanna know about it it'll cost ya $400 a day to see why.

That's as far as I'm going. My dad has come up with a few inventions and tried to do the patent stuff himself. He's quit, because they make it so you almost have to "spend" the big bucks, and wait, and wait and wait.

Any true angler worth their salt can easily come up with a regional type New product. I know of dozens.

Good luck with your idea. Remember the number one product in the world is, "CONVIENENCE".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic