How Edwing built their hulls

Mods and custom builds
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

How Edwing built their hulls

Post by Chaps »

So I'm re-doing the bottom on my 21 Edwing and I've been reminded as I look up at it that I've always liked how Edwin designed and put this thing together. I really think its a great riding and efficient boat and the build is super strong.

The unique feature of this boat is that one single piece of 1/4" plate is formed to create an entire 1/2 hull from keel to the gunwale rubrail. In other words the chine is bent, no welds. Not only is it a bent chine but it also has a 4" reverse chine that is also bent. To top it off the keel has another bend that creates a delta-conic step that starts about mid-ship as a point and gradually widens as it approaches the transom and the engine bracket.

Check it out:
P8200007.jpg
P8200007.jpg (155.06 KiB) Viewed 8338 times
Of course as the run to the bow occurs the plate is relieved and bent inwards to make the pointy end so there is some welding at the chine at that juncture but all the same, i don't believe I've seen this configuration on any other skiff sized alloy boat. Needless to say it took a pretty good sized press brake to form this up.

I believe he only did this on his 21' hulls which he made in several configurations. Mine is the only center console with this hull he ever made as far as I know.

I took these pictures with the gray epoxy barrier coat paint applied over acid etch primer. Next comes 2 coats of Vivid bottom paint in black.

A couple of more views:
P8200009.jpg
P8200009.jpg (92.44 KiB) Viewed 8338 times
P8200017.jpg
P8200017.jpg (86.82 KiB) Viewed 8338 times
P8200018.jpg
P8200018.jpg (328.4 KiB) Viewed 8338 times
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
MacCTD

Re: How Edwing built their hulls

Post by MacCTD »

Great looking boat, how does it perform with the 90?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Very nice bottom side....... I know the changes I made to my hull which were minor have offered quite a noticeable performance difference in the slop :thumbsup:

Mine is no longer a Pacific....it's a Pacific Alloy built in WA and modified & re-engineered BETTER in MA :thumbsup:

I bet the ride is comfortable :?: :?:

Do they still build boats :?:
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

MacCTD wrote:Great looking boat, how does it perform with the 90?
An easy cruise just up on plane is 14 knots, at about 5100 its doing 23 and flat out at 6200 its at about 28. The boat has a 15" pitch workboat prop because its used for towing so top speed is modest but it will pull a 40' trawler at 8 knots without breaking a sweat . . . mpg at 16 knots is about 5.5 in light chop and no load

AT
No, its been a few years since Ed hung it up . . . Sculpin up on Vancouver Island has one of his bigger ones with a cabin but I don't believe the hull is like this.
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Love to see some more pictures of the boat, do you have pictures of the deck and cabin? How big of a motor is it rated for?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

MacCTD wrote:Love to see some more pictures of the boat, do you have pictures of the deck and cabin? How big of a motor is it rated for?
I think it would handle a 130 OK but the swimstep would probably be awash at rest. Funny I don't have many pics of the boat, thats it down below on the right in my sig and the big pic below was taken with a low res digital camera in '98 when I first got it home. The leaning post is tied into the hull framing so a tow bit could be added. Its got 20 gal saddle tanks under the gunwales, white D rubber rub rails, a canvas enclosure for winter ops, etc. Its now in service as the harbormaster boat for the island I live on, I lease it to them.
AC07.JPG
AC07.JPG (56.57 KiB) Viewed 8306 times
Its just a CC with a hardtop, sort of a precursor to the Pacific's that came later, in fact I think they stole my design :rotfl:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

> The unique feature of this boat is that one single piece of 1/4" plate is formed to create an entire 1/2 hull from keel to the gunwale rubrail.

So three pieces of sheet Al are used in the hull? Two sides and a keel. I guess that flat triangle plate makes four.
That does seem unique.

Five piece hulls are common -- or at least not unique. A keel. Two bottom pieces up to the chine. And then two side pieces from the chine to the gunnel.

I'm told that separate pieces need to be welded to get the right hull shape because a single piece cannot be bent to that shape. I guess Edwing figured out a way to bend a single piece.

BTW - Nice clean hull now. Looks great!
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Illgotoo wrote:> The unique feature of this boat is that one single piece of 1/4" plate is formed to create an entire 1/2 hull from keel to the gunwale rubrail.

So three pieces of sheet Al are used in the hull? Two sides and a keel. I guess that flat triangle plate makes four.
That does seem unique.

Five piece hulls are common -- or at least not unique. A keel. Two bottom pieces up to the chine. And then two side pieces from the chine to the gunnel.

I'm told that separate pieces need to be welded to get the right hull shape because a single piece cannot be bent to that shape. I guess Edwing figured out a way to bend a single piece.

BTW - Nice clean hull now. Looks great!
Tom, sorry, its one piece from the middle of the triangle plate to the top of the gunwale. See the weld down the middle at the keel line? That's the only weld in the main portion of the hull. Each hull side and bottom (to the keel) are all from one 10' x 20' sheet of 1/4" 5086 bent in three places.
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Thanks, Chaps, I see it now. The triangle is not a separate piece.

Is the keel a separate piece? Or is it the line made by the weld of the two side pieces?
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
Sobie2

Post by Sobie2 »

Chaps,

That homemade boat lift you built is pretty sweet. Lots of uses too. :clap:

Sobie2
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Yep, Similar to a Pacific, as the bottom of the Pacific hulls are one piece with breaks for the chines.
I have mine so there is no hull penatrations up under it.

Chap's is that saddle tanks along the insides under the gunnel area??
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Pacific doesn't have a true reverse chine like the under side of this boat....Pacific uses a chine molding where the bottom meets the sides

They do however cold form those strakes into the bottom of the hull...

When my boat was at Winninghoff it was neat to see how the builders build that reverse chine into the hull design
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

JETTYWOLF wrote:
Chap's is that saddle tanks along the insides under the gunnel area??
Yeah, 20 gallons a side. Whats nice is I can unbolt them and clean them out easily which is handy at times.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I gotz me some HAWK-EYES.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

AlloyToy wrote:Pacific doesn't have a true reverse chine like the under side of this boat....Pacific uses a chine molding where the bottom meets the sides

They do however cold form those strakes into the bottom of the hull...

When my boat was at Winninghoff it was neat to see how the builders build that reverse chine into the hull design

That's what I meant ALLOY.

Chines....molded in to a all one piece bottom, Illgotoo. Can be done quite nicely.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

10-4 good buddy :thumbsup: OH :!: And I like that photo of the Alloy Jettycraft :beer:
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Chaps wrote: . . . Sculpin up on Vancouver Island has one of his bigger ones with a cabin but I don't believe the hull is like this.
Sorry for the holiday away from the site. My hull is identical build wise to yours just a bit bigger. Great hull really. I think Ed has great designs and it is too bad his computer crashed and he losts all the files. If someone was to pick up where he started and make a nicer finished boat they would be really nice IMHO.
Last edited by Sculpin on Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

Been reading thru this and the pics of the bottom with the flat triangle at the stern was employed by the Tacoma boat builder of BellBouy (fake lap-streak sides) and Sabercraft (smooth sides) with same interiors back in the 70-80's...forgot what they called it back them...but it really helped to plane it out in a hurry. Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

pjay9 wrote:Been reading thru this and the pics of the bottom with the flat triangle at the stern was employed by the Tacoma boat builder of BellBouy (fake lap-streak sides) and Sabercraft (smooth sides) with same interiors back in the 70-80's...forgot what they called it back them...but it really helped to plane it out in a hurry. Capt PJ
Delta planing pad is a pretty commonly used term.
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic