time for an electronics reboot???

General boating discussion
SJD
Your location: Cape Cod

time for an electronics reboot???

Post by SJD »

I have an '05 Pacific with a Raymarine depth-finder and Garmin GPS original to the boat. Generally they have worked well, however I have had some difficulty plugging in the multi-pronged power and transducer cords on the depth-finder, less but similar difficulty with the antenna cord for the Garmin. I assume this is due to wear or corrosion of the female ports, although I have tried to keep things dry and well covered with dielectric grease and there is no obvious corrosion to be seen. Finally this year I was unable plug in and bent the prong on the depth-finder power outlet. I am thinking that my best option is to replace the 5+ year old electronics altogether. Questions:
1. Do you agree with replacing the electronics? I considered sending the unit back to Raymarine for refurbishing if possible, and replacing the power cord if possible (according to West Marine it is no longer manufactured),but am thinking that this is the tip of the iceberg and would be delaying the inevitable need for replacement.
2. It seems like the trend is to go with single unit, combined depthfinder/GPS these days. The problem I have with that is if the device fails you are left completely without electronic aid, which could be a problem in a tight situation. Is this an important consideration or am I overthinking this?
3. Has anyone else had similar issues with electronic plugs? Any idea re cause of this? What do you guys do to maintain and protect your electronics?
4. Any specific product or brand recommendations?

Sorry for the long post, Thanks!
MacCTD

Re: time for an electronics reboot???

Post by MacCTD »

1. I would replace them, but if you want to just replace the power cord I would check eBay you can usually find mounting brackets and power cords for any older unit.
2. I would not worry too much about single point of failure, the new stuff is pretty solid. You can also get a single larger screen and split screen when you need both or have a nice large screen when you only need GPS or FF capability.
3. Have not had that issue but as stuff gets older being plugged and unplugged it can wear, not much you can do other than be gentle with them and put a little dielectric grease on the connectors.
4. I did a similar upgrade on my '05 1925 and I went with the Lowrance HDS-7 after much research, I would have gone with the HDS-8 but I could not justify the cost, they are both great but the HDS-8 screen is much larger, my FIL has a HDS-8.
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
cape steve
Your location: cape cod

Post by cape steve »

Lowrance products look nice. Anyone tried any of the new Garmin devices?
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I run Furuno but was just looking at the NEW Garmins and for the money they look like a good product.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
cape steve
Your location: cape cod

Post by cape steve »

I have a pacific hard top. My current GPS unit which I am replacing has an external antenna on the roof. I plant to replace with a new unit probably HDS7 with internal antenna. Anyone else have similar set up? Any reception problems?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic