My first Albacor trip!!

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

My first Albacor trip!!

Post by Gundog »

I decided to give albacore a try so Monday we left around 6 out of Brookings and ran 40 miles due West to some numbers that were given to me by a friend. The temp upon arrival at the given coordinates was 52* but I could see commercial boats trolling in the distance so I ran another 6 or so miles to the line they were trolling and dropped some gear in 57.9* water. I have never done this before but after reading allot about it on here I had an idea what to do. There was only 2 of us so we ran 4 poles 2 with cedar plugs and 2 with jigs. We caught fish on everything we had out. We trolled for about 10 minutes and I had our first one in the boat Tom lost the next one right at the boat but as soon as we got all the gear back in the water we had a triple and we landed them all. 2 guys with three fish on was a hoot.

We ended the day with 10 fish we could have caught more but we had agreed we only wanted 5 a piece before we left and so we quit when we had the 10. The boat did great 92 miles out and back + how ever many miles we trolled 33 gallons of fuel used. I left with 128.1 gallons and got back with 95.1 gallons.

I did not weigh any of the fish but I would guess the big ones were in the 20's and the smallest about 14#.

Mike

The pictures are too big to post so here is a link that has the pictures.
http://www.ifish.net/board/showthread.php?t=373240
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Re: My first Albacor trip!!

Post by goatram »

Mike
Welcome to the darkside. Did you taste the blood? eat a Heart still pumping? A good fuel burn rate for your boat. congrats :thumbsup: :beer: !
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Right on Gundog :thumbsup: . I'm in the same boat as you (not literally) with the albacore thing. Going to give it a whirl this year. Thank you for posting the fuel information. That's great stuff. I have a 105 gal. tank so it should be zero problem for me to run around the same as you did.

Congrats on a successful first trip. If you don't mind me asking, what did you guys use for rod's and tackle? I'm planning on using my hali rods and reels but have to buy some clones etc. don't know what colors etc.

Cheers
John
John
Sculpin
23' Edwing

"Trying to go for tuna on the cheap you are asking for trouble. The ocean is a mean LITTLE GIRL that wants to kill you". - Shawn Hillier
wetwhopper

Post by wetwhopper »

Way to go! Man, all I've been thinking about is tuna. Seeing these reports is getting me all irritated, pent-up, hot and bothered, etc. Again, nice job and beautiful boat. :thumbsup:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

That is great Mike! And the cheapest albacore trip I know of :thumbsup:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19

Post by goatram »

Sculpin wrote:Right on Gundog :thumbsup: . I'm in the same boat as you (not literally) with the albacore thing. Going to give it a whirl this year. Thank you for posting the fuel information. That's great stuff. I have a 105 gal. tank so it should be zero problem for me to run around the same as you did.

Congrats on a successful first trip. If you don't mind me asking, what did you guys use for rod's and tackle? I'm planning on using my hali rods and reels but have to buy some clones etc. don't know what colors etc.

Cheers
John
Purple and Black, Zucinni.and Mexican flag. and a Cedar Plug. Your Hali rods and reels will work. Do you use Braid? if so tie on a top shot of 40 lb mono. Set your drags loose and go get them
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

We used 2 cedar plugs and 2 clones one was pink and the other was the Mexican flag pattern. I will take a picture of them when I get home. We are leaving today we were supposed to stay until next week but the ocean has turned on us and it is supposed to blow 20-30 knots through Sunday. We went out bottom fishing yesterday and it was about 5-6' short duration swells and it is supposed to get worse. I only caught 4 fish yesterday and my partner got blanked.

Mike
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi

Post by JETTYWOLF »

COOL>>>>>>>> :!:

Finally, a up close pic of the new boat.
Wow, now that's a fish cleaning area. Mine's the back of my boat! I'd think I'd died and went to heaven with something like that.

FREE, Photobucket sizes pics, and so does FREE Googles Picasa album,s and of course there's always Adobe Photoshop.....
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

goatram wrote:Mike
Welcome to the darkside. Did you taste the blood? eat a Heart still pumping? :thumbsup: :beer: !
Well, congrats to you!
goatram is on the right track.
If this is your first albacore, you must eat the heart like this guy did on a trip I was just on :thumbsup:

check him out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4WgNRRGEiQ
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
Gundog
Sponsor/Donator

Post by Gundog »

Here is a picture of the gear we used. I used my halibut gear with braided line probably should have tied on a little mono but we didn't. I will be more prepared next time.

Mike
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (93.21 KiB) Viewed 6346 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic