DOING IT RIGHT......check this out.

General boating discussion
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

DOING IT RIGHT......check this out.

Post by JETTYWOLF »

If you've noticed I have a genuine facination with Jet boats, because for shallow water fishing/running I just don't understand why people around here are using boats like this:
Seems impractical to me, to #1 use plastic, and an outboard. In NE Florida. Those "poling platforms are just $500 chairs, because with the tides no one is poling anyone in our current.......S. Florida maybe. But not here!

We have MUD, SAND, GRASS, OYSTERBEDS, ROCKS, and all that can be up in one back water, marsh creek! I know the dudes with those flats boats have to baby them. I'm not talking slinging a fuzzy-whooly-bugger type fishing in cosmoplitan Miami or the Florida keys, as this photo depicts. But North Florida/ Georgia and Carolina's backwater, slugging thru black gumbo, tailing Redbass over oystershell creeks.

And ya'll know I'm really into Youtube also. I learn so much from that site about boats. Almost more than here on AAB, because face it, "were kinda stuck on big fort boats." Where as, being the red-headed step child as a inshore light tackle in the heat of Florida kinda Alloy owner, I'm an exception.

So, you can tell my "wheels are a turnin' " all the time. "What if I ever wanted to venture into another kind of fishing, or had the opportunity to get a second boat?"

I just found a fella in Pa. that's DOING IT RIGHT! From what I can see. You tell me? And from what I can tell is almost "OVER-BUILDING" a Jetboat, for river fishing, compared to others I see out there. If I could take a quicky weekend trip, I'd go see this man, for a test drive, just to satisfy my curiousity!

YOU BE THE JUDGE. He's using techniques and aluminum that seems to be a real rarity in these type boats, that are Jon-style jets. And finally, a Youtube video that really shows the STEAK, jus not the sizzle....IE: boat jumping over sand dunes.

I'll invite him to join here, because "HE SHOULD be on AAB.com". And we can add another small boat builder, but this time one that builds smaller boats.

Here's the video, check it out, and then "discuss".

http://boatbuilderlive.com/wp-content/u ... 21jpg.jpeg

http://www.rockproofboats.com
JETTYWOLF

Re: DOING IT RIGHT......check this out.

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Wow, 9 hrs later and 19 views and still no one comment, huh?

I guess, small open Jet boats are not the cup O' tea. :hammer:

I emailed the owner/builder and invited him to join here. Hope he gets more warm fuzzies than I did.

Wonder why places like La. use the mud engines rather than jets.
I must be missing something.
No good in m-u-d?????
tazmann
Your location: Yettem, Ca

Post by tazmann »

Well Jetty
I would say they use boats like in the picture because they are cheap and simple and you don't need to blast through shallows just trim up and run slow or drift and scull but I sail so might not mean much.
Tom
StabicraftMarine
Sponsor
Your location: New Zealand

Post by StabicraftMarine »

I've been trying but all I get is

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later

Annoying.
http://www.stabicraft.com

For your nearest dealer...
888 GO STABI (USA)
1800 178 224 (AUS)
0800 478 224 (NZ)

For the Invercargill, NZ factory - 0064 3 2111 828
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Jets pick up EVERYTHING , mud, grass, oyster shells, rocks, sand , well you get the idea and it shells the pump in a heart beat. When I lived out west the jet boat guys said the pumps will suck crud up , up to 8' deep.

I believe the guys up in the PNW are running in rivers that have rock bottoms and the screens keep the rocks out of the pumps for the most part.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
wetwhopper
Your location: Pacific Beach, WA.

Post by wetwhopper »

Jet boats are great for running shallow rivers w/ rock/gravel bottoms. Otherwise... stick w/ a conventional prop. We lost a great law enforcement officer not too many years ago trying to get a couple surfers who got themselves carried out in a "rip tide." 3 officers launched themselves out in their jet boat and the jet immediately got crammed with debris (I believe kelp). They had no kicker and no second boat on the "hot seat" (on stand by). One of the officers drowned and left a few kids and a wife behind. TRAGIC. Since then they have acquired a pontoon/aluminum hull with a good 4-stroke prop and a kicker. I hear of all kinds of jets used in conditions they were not meant for sucking up all kinds of stuff. I kinda think of a jet as a Lab. They'll eat anything!!!! :mrgreen:

Just my 2 cents worth. :soap:
"A lean dog is a mean dog and the mean dog always gets the bone!"
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Ya know for just an FYI.....most jet boats like the one in question have debris screens that can be swipped clean via a outboard handle.

I'm not keen on 2,000 holes in the bottom to hold on the plastic rock proof stuff.

Guess, I'll just droll on my La. Sportsman Magazine where mud motors are all the rage, on aluminum boats.
rocky_taco

Post by rocky_taco »

I like the idea of this boat with a kicker. I could run the rivers and the inland lakes with it.

http://www.outlaweagle.com/outlaw_5.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxZ30XXnVLg

If I was only running rivers, I'd probably go with something more like this.

http://www.phantomjetboat.com/products.htm#5

It's hard to find a 1 boat fits all balance to fish everything. I've got shallow rivers, inland lakes, and lake michigan all within a 1 hr drive. I think a 12 degree dead rise jet 16 footer with a kicker would be a good start. Though I wouldn't want to be on the big lake in anything over 2-3's. When you are bouncing so much you have to crawl to the rod holders to try and get a rod in them and the waves are popping your dipsy divers it's pretty much not fun anyway.

Long story short, I'm not sure why jets don't catch on more. Outboard jets are less efficient than a prop, so that may be part of it. Though the mercury sport jet seems to be more efficient than an outboard jet. Also, they only steer under power which is more difficult for some folks to maneuver if they are only used to props.

Many of the local lakes have a few shallow spots to watch and the dammed up rivers have stumps underwater. I've seen my share of bent props and broken skegs on folks boats that aren't familiar with the lake. We don't have kelp here, so no idea if a stomp grate would clear that. I think a jet can be a problem if you are starting in a very shallow river with mud and such on the bottom where you don't have clearance for water to get into the jet pump and get you on plane. Once you are running, it isn't much of an issue. If it's really shallow and muddy, then you are better off with the mud motors. I only see these with duck hunters going into the Ottawa swamp area. The steelheaders use jets and props, but stay out of the mud. Not that there aren't exceptions. I've just never seen a steelheader using a mud motor, only hunters.

Here's another link on why this builder likes the sport jet. Note, they will do a 10 or 12 degree dead rise on the hiPro boat.
http://www.riverpro-boats.com/mercurysportjet
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I still believe a Jet would be a good choice in the N.E. Florida back waters. At least to get over super shallow mud flats, oysterbeds, and such as the tide drops.

I've watched alot of mud motor action on youtube. Then thangs look like you have to manhandle them. I'd like to save that for a big Redbass on a fairy wand, and live shrimp.
Lucky Louie
Contributor
Your location: Louisiana

Post by Lucky Louie »

JETTYWOLF wrote:I still believe a Jet would be a good choice in the N.E. Florida back waters. At least to get over super shallow mud flats, oysterbeds, and such as the tide drops.

I've watched alot of mud motor action on youtube. Then thangs look like you have to manhandle them. I'd like to save that for a big Redbass on a fairy wand, and live shrimp.
Ther is a DANG good reason you DON'T see Jet Boats in my neck of the woods. Some tried them for the same reasons you list. They DON'T work in our waters. But don't take it from me or anything that it won't work. I've only had to tow a few of them with jets back in the day back to the boat launch and seen first hand what happened to them.

There are "Mud Motors" as you call them with Hydrolic steering, power trim and all the bells and whistles. No harder to drive than any other boat. But some are tiller or "Arm power". Those can be a handful.

Go ahead and spend your money for one of dem "Super-dooper-you betch-ya-red-ryder jets". Then call sea tow when you get stranded due to the jet clogged or impeller wiped out...... Or you could always slog thru the mud dragging your boat because they "Don't go where you are stranded". :rotfl: So, dream on McDuff.

You won't take anyones posts seriously anyway. Once you get something in your mind it doesn't matter what is posted. Your blinders keep you from seeing anything but what you WANT to see.......

:popcorn:
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15
Your location: Wits End

Post by Sabs28 »

Looks like we have some cat fights going on in all parts of the world today on AAB :thumbsup: :nutkick:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Sabs28 wrote:Looks like we have some cat fights going on in all parts of the world today on AAB :thumbsup: :nutkick:

Ya got that straight, Sabs28.
Guess "conversation" should be outlawed here on AAB.
I can easily take my so called "blunders" elsewhere really easy.
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

I get a CHUCKLE out of it all. A couple of those Aussie boys wanted to clobber each other this morning. Everyone has an opinion on everything, to each their own. Damned if ya do, damned if ya don't :!: :!:

It won't be long until we have AAB boxing matches. :mrgreen:
Lucky Louie
Contributor
Your location: Louisiana

Post by Lucky Louie »

Sabs28 wrote:
:rotfl: I got a pair of boxing gloves I could donate so Welder wouldn't have to go buy any. :rotfl:
Sabs28

Post by Sabs28 »

Lucky Louie wrote:
Sabs28 wrote:
:rotfl: I got a pair of boxing gloves I could donate so Welder wouldn't have to go buy any. :rotfl:

Louie, I almost ended up on the floor after reading that one. YOU ARE FFUUNNYY. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

The bigger question is who the hell does Lucky Louie think he is? To judge me?

Certainly hope that the owner of the Rock Proof Boats, doesn't come here and see his comments to a founding member of AAB.

I should just re-tract my invite to him, on the grounds that it's not worth his time, jus like it certainly isn't worth mine.

Oh yeah, remember??
The thread was initially about my invite to the owner of a unique aluminum boat company. Never though it would happen here. But I can see via "LL's" use of choice words, that now AAB is where all message boards end up.

adios.....
drookit
Your location: Mat-Su, AK

Post by drookit »

welder wrote:Jets pick up EVERYTHING , mud, grass, oyster shells, rocks, sand , well you get the idea and it shells the pump in a heart beat. When I lived out west the jet boat guys said the pumps will suck crud up , up to 8' deep.

I believe the guys up in the PNW are running in rivers that have rock bottoms and the screens keep the rocks out of the pumps for the most part.
That must be some screen most Alaskans don't know about. :mrgreen:

Everyone I know has their favorite old screwdriver or pry bar on board for rock removal.
1985 Almar Lite 16'
1987 Suzuki 65hp
? Johnson 8hp kicker.
cptom
Donator '10

Post by cptom »

Jetty, Maybe you could put one of the jet outboards on this boat I found on Craigslist.

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/2606123227.html
dawgaholic
Your location: Middle Georgia

Post by dawgaholic »

Nice boat(s) and all but I'm partial to this builder's great looking rig:

http://www.riverpro-boats.com/home

Built like a tank, 50+ top end, and attractive!

I only do what the voices in the Tackle Box tell me to.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic