Some Important Minor Details

Mods and custom builds
peterbo3
Contributor
Your location: Brisbane, Australia

Some Important Minor Details

Post by peterbo3 »

The wind is blowing & my back hurts so I have been sorting out some small stuff. Hope it is of interest to you.

Rodholders made of starboard. Cheap but effective with shock cord to keep everything in place.

Anchor tubes lined with marine carpet to cut down noise & movement. Reef pick to port & sand/mud anchor to starboard. The rails are covered with heavy plastic hose to both protect them & to cut out noise.

Anchor well holds 250 metres of 12mm rope plus 7 metres of 10mm shortlink chain with heaps of room to spare. You could just about live in that anchor well. All my SS shackle pins are locked down with thin 316 SS wire prior to a trip. That removes any chance of a pin working loose.

If we are fishing in really rough country on the pick the 8mm chain is shackled to the bottom of the anchor & tied off on the shaft with really BIG zip ties. If you are hooked up & the anchor ball will not work, we tie off the rope & pull from the opposite direction. The prongs will bend & the zip ties pop. I have never lost a reef pick rigged this way.

The reef pick chain fits into the anchor tube. The chain can also be fastened to the top of the shaft. The reef pick weighs about 18lb & the shaft is filled with lead. We normally drift down from a mark in about 80-100 metres but sometimes will anchor in the deeper water.

Tons of storage under the bunks. The frames have been covered with carpet to cut down noise as the cushions have a base made from starboard. The carpet lining the under bunk storage stops stuff sliding around & also reduces that "slap, slap," wave noise when you are crashed out. :shock:
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Great pics you're ready to ROCK!!!! I like those Mighty anchors and the idea of how they work.

How wide are the gunnels, and what do you have for grab rails when walking to the bow/anchor?
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

Evening AT,
Gunnels alongside the cabin are about 8" wide. There are grab rails all along the hardtop & the side rails are 2" diameter pipe. The anchor is normally deployed through the Bomar hatch above the bunks. Recovery in deeper water is by an anchor ball. I would never send anybody up onto the deck to set or pull the anchor as the chance of a F**k Up is always there when you are fishing well offshore.
The reef picks are easy to make. Mine is overkill. Some 2" pipe, 3/8" bar, a welder & ten minutes. You can fill em with lead as it cuts down the chain length. I never use more than 4' of 8mm chain.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Peter,
Do you have both anchors rigged with rode and ready to deploy or do you swap the rode betweent the two anchors depending on the type fishing you will be doing?

Very beautiful boat!!
AT
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Thanks as always Pete. Some good ideas there.
I like that boat more everytime I see it.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Thanks for all the pictures and sharing.
How are the cushion covers being held down to the starboard.
Are you able to use staples or self tapping screws with washers?
You are a very creative guy.

Thanks Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
peterbo3
Contributor

Post by peterbo3 »

AT, I swap the rope over. I carry another sand anchor, chain & about 50M of rope under the bunks for backup or if I am near the shore. I run the spare pick off the stern onto the sand with the main pick forward. This keeps the boat at right angles to the shoreline. I only use this rig in calm water.

2DEEP, the upholsterer overlapped the vinyl on the starboard & used SS staples to fasten it. I will get a pic.
Regards,

Pete in Brisbane
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Pete,

we call em "Jetty anchors" here locally. And I've lost as many as 4 in one 8 hr day! Our 10 ton granite boulder jetties are merciless.
Cables, old anchor lines, catch in such a way that ya still don't get it back no matter how hard ya' pull.

I rig the same way but find cable ties/zip strips are not strong enough and break. I've found some thin SS wire, for securing shackle pins worked better and just loop the same way and make about 4-8 "haywire twists".

It holds but the chain can and will snap the wire.

But that's one really great idea to have the anchors in tubes like that.

Looks like the boat is really ready.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic