Is my skiff a repairable? Boating accident.

General boating discussion
elhewman82
Your location: Sitka, AK

Is my skiff a repairable? Boating accident.

Post by elhewman82 »

Well, long story short a wave pushed me into a rocky outcrop as I was trying to carefully beach my boat while deer hunting. It got high centered for several hours until I could free it. Basically I would like your opinions to see if this boat is salvageable to where a good welder could fix it. I was hoping 3000.00 could get the necessary damage repaired. I am Pretty stressed out right now, as my grandpa gave me a good deal on this.

Thanks for your replies. Should work now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPZTDbnt ... r_embedded
Last edited by elhewman82 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
welder
Site Admin

Re: Is my skiff a repairable? Boating accident.

Post by welder »

Your link is not working , try it again. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Welcome to the forum. That is a bummer for sure. Is it leaking?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
elhewman82

Post by elhewman82 »

Yes, Unfortunately it does leak some. After a four hour tow I would say 1/8 of the hull was filled with water. O called the Klamath boat company and they said They could send a new keel, but it would be up to the welder to decide if it is repairable.
The dilemma is that I am currently moving to Washington, so If it is fixable, I will go hunting for the correct welder, if not, I will leave the hull in sitka and take the motor. Thanks for the input.
buck3
Your location: Olympic Peninsula,WA

Post by buck3 »

I'm not a welder. But I think once aluminum is stretched it is hard to get it back into shape. I don't think you are going to be able to get the bottom straight again even if you replace the keel. Again I am not a welder but have worked on lots of steel boats and have been told aluminum is the same when it come to deformations.

Good luck
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

There is a bunch of boat builders down in Washington , if it was me I would take it and get it repaired but you might want to call ahead to some of the guys/shops input.
There will be more along here soon from that part of the country that might offer some help , Goatram , ya here ?
Lester,
elhewman82

Post by elhewman82 »

Ideally, my plan would be to get this hull functional so I can slowly save up again for a newer hull. I figure there are some parts I can patch and maybe some dents I can carefully minimize. It won't look pretty but If I can get that far, then perhaps I can pay the welder just to make things structuraly sound. I assume some extra support added in and some welds along the keel could get this boat in good enough shape to start saving up again.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Looks like a job for "super welder", fellow Alaskan K. Morin. If he can't save it, no one can. :thumbsup:

Can't ya jus drop it off at Klamath boats and see what they can do to it? Kinda like the "restorations" that SeaArk will do for ya.

Wonder how a 1/4" all one piece hull bottom would have faired?
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

+1 on getting input from Kevin M.!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Post by welderbob »

I'll make the assumption that the boat is made of 1/8" because of the formed ribs in the bottom . It would be better if the bottom was 3/16"
Can you get to the inside of the hull where the damage is ?
The "keel" looks more like a cap that covere the seam where the two bottom plates come together. That damaged piece could be removed. Any hole in the "keel area" could be welded closed. (.035 mig or Tig ). A piece of 2" half pipe could replace the damaged keel. Without seeing inside the hull, I'd use some additional frame inside to straighten out some of the pushed in areas. Any really damaged section could be replaced.

Lots of talented welders/ boat-builders out there on the left coast . I think the old girls has some life in her, just needs a little surgery .
Welderbob
Sound Marine Custom Aluminum Boats (like use on Face Book)
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Hey Bob,

Ya mean you didn't skip town and stay in the islands?? Figured you could start up a aluminum Panga Market down there, :rotfl: :rotfl:

That's why I kinda suggested taking it back to Klamath? But you're right, gotta get inside it seems to me too.

I'm still wondering how would a 1/4" and heavier boat faired?
buck3
Your location: Olympic Peninsula,WA

Post by buck3 »

That's what I'm wondering right now too. The wife and kid is pumped to do some coastal exploring and camping so I'm trying to figure out how plate would fair. Allot of the beaches around here are gravel with the random boulders thrown in.
netman
Your location: Chandler,Indiana

Post by netman »

I love that boat! I wish it was mine. I would tackle that damage with gusto. Randy
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

Nice looking boat. I'd get it welded. Be surprised if you couldn't get it done for what your budget is.
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Netman, I know of a dealer that has some newer versions of those hulls in stock un rigged. WWW.twimarine.com ask for Kenny.
Lester,
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

It should be repairable. What part of Washington are you coming to and when?

It will not be like new that is for sure but the keel can be cut off and the new one supplied by Klamath installed. Hull bottom .125"? A fun project to do on the side and you get to save some money for a new boat in a few years.

I will say I am not in it for profit, Just expenses. I already have a paying job and my retirement :sarge: Time depending on your arrival and My second hip Surgery recovery End of April and the month of may I should be able to ove about slowly and Still take my breaks. June I plan to return to work. That and Fishing will slow my projects down till Sept aka Winter time projects begin.

Send some pictures to my email of the interior to riz@cedarcomm.com
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
netman
Your location: Chandler,Indiana

Post by netman »

Welder thanks for that link. I am in need of a rough water boat for winter gill net fishing on the Ohio River. My 24' plateboat with flat bottom is not wave friendly. My only hold up for a v bottom boat is pulling set nets in the current. I have heard they will make your arms longer when the current pushes the boat out while going down the net.
Minister956
Your location: Pensacola, FL

Post by Minister956 »

http://www.muggyweld.com/?view=videos

Superalloy-5

This looks like a great product. I called an they said they supplied many boat repair shops. Could be a quick fix until your ready financially.

Ruben C Ramirez Sr
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic