Anyone know this Aerohead better?

Sell or Trade your Alloy boat here
Chtucker
Your location: Redmond, wa

Anyone know this Aerohead better?

Post by Chtucker »

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 76619&url=

I am going to take a look at this boat in the next week...

Is it "underpowered" with a single 350hp? Most of the other boats in this class have twin 300s or twin big hp outboards..

BTW I am fine it's a single, I have no where to go quickly..

I just like the size of the cabin and the construction. It looks like it was built well, and might be suitable for my family.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: Anyone know this Aerohead better?

Post by Chaps »

That is a far better build than the tug IMO. Great boats, power is sufficient too. Unless there is something wrong with that particular boat its a low risk buy. Only negative is that resale wise they are out of business but so are lots of great alloy boat builders.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

We will have to figure a couple things out to make it work:
Create a second bunk somewhere or air mattress on the cabin floor, I really wish it had a quarter berth like an Ocean Sport Roamer!
I don't see a cooktop in any pictures
It would be really nice to have hydraulics for a pot puller. How hard is this to do on the Volvo?

How stable will the boat be at anchor? We are looking to spend time cruising as well as crabbing.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

The Dinette converts to a sleeping berth

A Wallas cooktop could probably be fit into that little galley counter

Hyd pullers are nice but pretty expensive starting from scratch. Unless you are crabbing/shrimping A LOT I'd get a commercial grade electric.

That particular boat was owned by some suit and tie guys that ran it out of Westport and the word is they want it gone, as in "start low and hang tough" also double check how well it was maintained.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

This is another boat on the list, but I am a bit concerned about the steyr diesels and the boat has been around on the market for a while..
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

I suspect you could rig some cots, like this:

They work very well. I put thermarests on top and my 6'6" body fits up there fine.

Another look:

Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

I saw those on a NON ALLOY boat at the show, that would work as well. Really,we don't need to worry about it for a few years, our boy girl twins are just over two.. Probably 5-6 years old and they will want there own space..

Adding a cot will also allow them to bring a friend (hopefully on at time!)

The Munson has a much larger cabin, but it looks like it hasn't been cared for..
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Chaps wrote:The Dinette converts to a sleeping berth

A Wallas cooktop could probably be fit into that little galley counter

Hyd pullers are nice but pretty expensive starting from scratch. Unless you are crabbing/shrimping A LOT I'd get a commercial grade electric.

That particular boat was owned by some suit and tie guys that ran it out of Westport and the word is they want it gone, as in "start low and hang tough" also double check how well it was maintained.
Considering a year ago or so a 25 Aerohead (granted it was twin outboards) was for sale on this site for months before the asking price went to 98k.. And that was the asking price... I am in NO rush.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

I'm sure you looked at this 31' Coldwater , viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3884&p=31624#p31624
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

welder wrote:I'm sure you looked at this 31' Coldwater , viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3884&p=31624#p31624

Sure have, it's at the upper end of our price range, and I was hoping for diesel... It hasn't been crossed off the list though.
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Going on a road trip tomorrow to look, 4 hours each way, it's down by Astoria.

Howard
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

This Internet thing is pretty amazing...

Travis Brandt the owner of Aerohead didn't move very far..he is right here in Bellevue

http://www.seventhlevelsales.com/
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

Good luck looking at the Astoria boat. When you going to go see the Tacoma boat...maybe we could meet there? PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

The Tacoma boat is the Astoria boat.. 200 miles and 4 hours driving each way...

But I would be happy to meet another day, there is the Maxweld (I think) "cummins" diesel cat for sale down that way.

And if I am considering a new build at $300k I might as well go look at the 36' Armstrong pilothouse cats for sale.

Howard
Chtucker

Post by Chtucker »

Long long day of driving, 400+ miles... For those that are interested.. it was about 8.4 gallons of gas and 47.1 mpg in my wife's Prius. I felt kinda bad for the broker who drove from Tacoma in Duramax... but then again, I can't understand why they would take the listing so far away.

Boat was in decent low hours shape.. Few issues were evident: 1) Corrosion on wiring in the transom. There is a bus bar with multiple connections that were starting to green up. 2)Small amount of dissimilar metal paint bubbling on rocket launcher and trolling engine bracket. 3) Whatever grey product they applied underneath the engine is failing, retaining moisture and probably needs to be addressed. 4) The boat was repainted. I am not a fan of the way they did it. They only manually scuffed it up and then repainted. There is bubbling already on the bow area around the tow eye.

Built with a lot of metal that is for sure. The carpet was glued and without emptying all the cabinets or pulling up the carpet, I did not see a good way into the hull to inspect in areas other than the engine compartment.

I like the idea of having the trailer if need be, but I wouldn't want to be weighed with it.

They estimate the boat dry is 14,000lbs, the trailer weighs at least 2,000lbs, maybe more. If you had any fuel in the boat, or belongings you are probably over 18,000 lbs. I forgot to look at the trailer ratings, but I would imagine the trailer GVW is exceeded. Then you get into a 18,000 lb trailer with a 12,000lb rated GVW truck and you are in the CDL realm.

So the trailer is good for storage...

Other than the price, its on the list... I still have some questions about construction and the electrical, but pretty close to what we are looking for with enough headroom in the focsle for a bunk to be fashioned.

Howard
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

As far as I understand the WA rules...you'd need a wide load permit...the weight would not be an issue as you are not a commercial company charging bucks...it is a 6 wheeler so that has to have some pretty good ratings..you would think!

I'll be in Astoria in late March...where was it? I am going to take some more classes for my USCG MMC at the MERTS campus.

My rig across the scales all loaded up with dogs and two folks, full fuel truck and boat, water and refer full is just short of 18K#. Never had any issues with any state's rules. Of course I look like I know what I am doing...MAYBE!!! :!: Capt PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic