Dream Catcher - Splash!!

A Place to Show and Tell
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Dream Catcher - Splash!!

Post by Shark Bait »

Dream Catcher hit the water for Sea Trials this week - here are a few pictures. We will be going up for the acceptance inspection in a couple of weeks and then she will go to Seattle to be put on a barge for the trip to Alaska. We should have her up here in about a month. :D :D :D

Image[/img]
Illgotoo
Donator '12

Post by Illgotoo »

What a beauty! And now in the water. It must be a huge pleasure to drive.

-tom
It's not getting what you want. It's wanting what you got. -Sheryl Crow

15' Stabi-craft
17' Safeboat
18' Eaglecraft
16' Eaglecraft
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

Well done, Shark Bait! What kind of numbers are you getting with the 300's? I look forward to seeing it on the water. I am planning on splashing "Patience" in Whittier tomorrow. Congratulations!

Pete
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

She sits real good and looks VERY stable.

Now get some blood on the deck.....
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Beautiful lines!!! Best of luck with your new boat!!!

Oh what a feeling!!!!
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Beautiful boat! Congrats.
Last edited by Jay Perrotta on Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jay Perrotta
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Numbers

Post by Shark Bait »

Spoiled One ask
What kind of numbers are you getting with the 300's?

Steve tried three sets of Suzuki 3 Blade Stainless Steel props during the sea trails and ended up with the 16" x 18.5", 250 gal gas, 50 gal water and two folks. Don't forget she is 34' to the transom with an additional 3' in the pod and 10' wide, don't know what she weighs yet. I think after I get some hours on the engines, have a chance to check the engine height and tow-in/tow-out we may be able to improve on these a little. Here are a few representative numbers (I have the in between numbers if anybody wants them):

4200 RPM 30.65 MPH 22.4 GPH (Total)

4600 34.50 27.7

5000 38.64 32.9

5400 41.98 43.1

5800 44.74 48.8

5900 WOT 46.12 50.5

To me these numbers don't look too bad, but then I have not seen many numbers for the DF-300s on this size boat. Would like to try some 4 blade stainless props but Suzuki does not have any with a small enough pitch and Merc props don't seem to work well on the Zukes. I have been looking but needed some good numbers. Ken at Prop Gods said he would work with me once I get the boat up here and have more numbers.

Sorry for the format - I can't seem to get the spacing to take.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Those #'s sound purdy good , now just fine tune the hight and toe.
RPMS look good and as the motors break in you might get a little better gph .

Now get her bloody. :D
Lester,
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Those numbers look great and with some tweeking, I am sure they will improve. I have a friend with a 33 x 10.5 glacier craft with twin F250's and his numbers are very close to yours. That is impressive for 600 HP. I would love to come out and look at it once it makes it home. Keep me posted.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
warthog5

Post by warthog5 »

Suzuki Props.

Be aware of this. Talking with knowledgeable Suzuki owners over the years and my own personal experience.

Suzuki prop's are usually NOT what they are marked. They usually have 1 to 1 1/2 less pitch than stated.

This is from my own experience with 2 set's NIB of 14 X 18's and 14 X 20's.

Both pairs of my prop's have been reworked.

Have them computer scanned by a Good prop shop.
"Just 'cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn."
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

RUNNER!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Shark Bait,
Go Girl, Go!
Sweet looking ride there. What do you mainly use here for? Salmonor halibat fishing or hunting??? Post some more pictures of the interior and stuff.
Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

Ironwood: The boat was designed and built as a serious cruising and fishing boat with lots of creature comforts. While most people think of an aluminum boat as strictly for fishing we wanted something more because we have so many isolated, beautiful places to explore. Additionally, since some of the better fishing grounds are quite a distance from port having a boat you can stay on for several days maximizes your fishing experience and catch while reducing the overall cost.

Will be looking for King, Red and Silver Salmon, rockfish, halibut, ling cod and shrimp. Have not done any hunting in several years. Will post pictures of the interior and the goodies for fishing after she gets up here - she is still at the manufacturer in British Columbia.

SB
CanCanCase
Your location: Charleston, OR

Post by CanCanCase »

Barging her north? With something that comfy I think I'd be looking for a cruise... Port Hardy, Ketchikan, Juneau, Yakutat, Cordova.... it's a fun ride!

They make great charter boats too...!

-Case
M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Charleston, OR
Boating is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
fishontop

Post by fishontop »

Wow! Great boat!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I'll take two......Holy Moly that sweet!!
jrogers
Donator '08

I'm a couple of steps behind you

Post by jrogers »

Shark bait,

I live in Anchorage, and have been looking at boats with the same basic specs as you for some time. I like aluminum, but want a really nice interior too. I am zeroing in on a Seawolf 30, although I think either choice as a good one for our uses.

My question is why did you choose outboards over a D6 or twin D4's? I have all the facts about the pluses and minuses of each, and am stuck on the fence as to which wat to go, so I am curious on what the deciding factors were for you. Also, how much fuel can you carry?
Jim

Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

Boat looks great SB!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

dave
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24
Your location: Riverview, FL

Post by dave »

WOW!!!!!! What a beautiful boat. One reason I love aluminum is function over form. You have both function and form.
jrogers
Donator '08

Update?

Post by jrogers »

Sharkbait,

Do you have an update for us on your boat? Did you get it up to AK yet, and what do you think about it now that you (presumably) have some hours on it?

Jim
Jim

Sculpin

Re: Update?

Post by Sculpin »

jrogers wrote:Sharkbait,

Do you have an update for us on your boat? Did you get it up to AK yet, and what do you think about it now that you (presumably) have some hours on it?

Jim
I second that. You picked a great builder. That is one nice boat. We would love to see more pic's
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

j rogers and Rock - Thanks for asking. Yes the Dream Catcher in home in Seward Alaska.

I have done two replies complete with pictures and somehow managed to dump both of them - giving up for now - will try again tomorrow.

SB
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Dream Catcher is Home!

Post by Shark Bait »

:D Let’s try this again.

After a very long time Dream Catcher is finally home in Alaska. Here is the Reader’s Digest version of how we got her from the Daigle Welding and Marine in Campbell River British Columbia to her slip in Seward Alaska.

Arrived at Campbell River for the acceptance inspection on Monday April 28th; accepted the boat and then drove her to Seattle by way of Friday Harbor WA and Sydney BC (300 Mi); went through the locks at Lake Washington and docked her at a boat yard in Seattle; had her pulled out of the water and loaded on to the custom built Rolls Axle trailer that I had previously shipped to my friends house near Seattle; set the tongue weight; washed and cleaned her and loaded a bunch of “Stuff” for the trip north; had her moved to Tacoma where she was loaded on to a TOTE (Totem Ocean Express) ship for the trip to Alaska; she picked up a good scrape on the Port side (which would have severely damaged a NON ALLOY boat) on the trip up; picked her up in Anchorage and pulled her to the local Suzuki dealer for the 20 hour service and to resolve an oil leak in the Port engine; moved her to the house where we started outfitting and loading her; had to wait until after the Memorial Day weekend to move her to Seward due to oversize movement restrictions; pulled her to Seward and put her in her slip; the weather was Sh**y and I came down with the crud I picked up from the grandkids; I got better then my wife came down with the same stuff so we came home without taking her out; have visitors coming in from the Wash DC area tomorrow so I don’t know when we will finally get to take her out – but at least she is home. We have lots to learn about her systems and electronics.

From the short time we have spent on the boat she is designed beautifully, built very well, is very quite (In fact she is as quiet or quieter than my wife’s Audi) and rides and handles like a dream. Right out of the box she cruises at 27 to 29 Kts @ 4200 RPM, at WOT she does about 48Kts; mileage on the trip down from CR to Seattle was about 1.6 MPG. I expect this to increase one I get some time on the engines and do some prop and engine height work.

Jettywolf and you other flatlanders – as you can see in the pictures we have a few hills or mountains (depends on your perspective) here in Alaska. The trip from my house to Seward was 150 miles on mostly two lane windy roads (Don’t’ have any Interstates in Alaska) with a few mountain thrown in for good luck. More on the trailer set up later but she towed beautifully, straight, no sway, smooth breaking and very comfortable for such a big load. Averaged 7.4 MPG for the 150 Mi to Seward– which ain’t bad considering the size and the mountains. Trailer boats are a little different up here in Alaska!!!

I have lots of pictures which I will be posting over the summer so I will just include a few from the trip to Seward. If you have any questions I will try and answer them as quickly as I can. I have owned glass boats in the past and all I can say is Alloy/Aluminum/Plate/Tin boats are the answer for me!

Thanks for the interest in the Dream Catcher.

SB

Image[/img]
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Looks great! Dream Catcher sure makes your truck look small! Well done.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

SWEET SLED!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Sharkbait,

1st off, Congrats on getting her home! She looks like a DREAM CATCH for sure. You gotta be touting wood as you were pull'in into home port! HA!!!

2ndly,I'll bet!? Is she ready to fish or do you now have a bunch of rigging to do on her?

3rdly, Is that a F150/250/35 or 1500/2500/3500 in gas of diesel?

4thly, Is the weight of the total trailer and boat under 10K or over?

5thly, What class hitch and tounge weight rating are you using?

We are all waiting for the action photos! Standing By! Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Congrats on getting her home and I 2nd Marty on the questions.

I like any Alloy boat that makes the truck look small. :wink:
Lester,
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic