"Patience" takes her first bath

A Place to Show and Tell
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

"Patience" takes her first bath

Post by spoiled one »

Many of you have been following the build of our new Glacier Craft and know that I have been a bit anxious, to say the least, to spash "Patience". Well, I took a little drive down to Whittier on Thursday to scope out the launch and purchase my season launch pass at the very least. I discovered that it was still winter there. I talked with one of the locals and he said that they had received about 350" over the winter. I mentioned that it looked like most of it was still hanging around. He just nodded, took a drag off his hand rolled cigarette, and smiled.

I headed over to the launch and discovered that it was about 80% free of ice and the entire area was covered in sand. This is doable for Saturday. Well the forecast for Saturday was high winds, 5 footers, and freezing spray in Passage Canal. I am not really in to the whole freezing spray
thing, so I postponed the big launch until Sunday. We pulled into Whittier at about 10:45 am and the launch had really cleared up over the past few days. I was a bit apprehensive about having old Patience taking me for a walk down the ramp so I had a friend help me out. I figured two diesels are better than one.

Here is the set up:

On the way down:

Missed the rebar

So close I can taste it:

She floats:

We motored out of the harbor and cruised at 2000 rpm for the first hour and then 3000 rpm for the next hour as Yamaha recommends for the break in period. As we enter Port Wells, there were several pods of Dahl Porpoise working the area. Several of them proceeded to ride the bow wake and gave us a show for the next several minutes. The porpoise got bored and the second hour was over. Time to put Patience on step. I eased the throttle forward and she planed without hesitation. I have never driven a boat with both reverse chines and lifting strakes, like the GC, but can say that I like it! It is a much different feeling than the old searunner, for sure. Very similar to taking off in a cub. The manual says the remaining eight hours you should not run WOT for more than five minutes at a time. I eased the throttle forward and hit 6100 rpm's with a lot of throttle left. Perhaps I hit the rev limiter? The gps read 40+ mph and with a bit of tweeking of the tabs and trim I was able to hit 46.4 on the gps. I know that the best economy is once you hit plane. She can stay up on step at 21 mph with a bit of tab, but 4400 is the real sweet spot. Here are my numbers with the 13 3/4 x 19 yamaha black stainless props at 5 hours:

rpm mph g/hr mpg
4300 25 18.3 1.37
4400 32.3 19.2 1.68
4700 33.9 20.5 1.65
4800 35.6 22 1.61
5200 38.2 26 1.45
5500 40.5 32.4 1.25
6000 44 36.8 1.2
6100WOT 46.4 40 1.16

I know that I am under propped, so I will be trying out some new props once she is broken in. I hope to see ~2 mpg at cruise. I have a pair of 14x21 four blade on order. That should bring my rpms down to the 5800 range and I should gain more hole shot and pickup economy at cruise. I like it! Come on spring!

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
cptom
Donator '10

Post by cptom »

Nice looking boat, I admire your fortitude in launching when you need two trucks to keep from sliding down the ramp. By the way, what is all the white stuff? It sure doesn't look like our florida sand dunes.

Best of luck with a great looking boat.

Tom
Greg P

Post by Greg P »

See why you guys go for the big cabins - Are they heated?

Really nice rig too btw
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Cool to see the first launch with all that snow.......makes me here in the NE feel good about the messed up weather we've had

Great looking craft

Best of luck with her
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Dang....looks cold. But who cares! She's WET, after all this time.

Good luck, SpoiledOne.

Do you have a Yamaha Fuel management system on her? And got those #'s by using it?
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Greg P wrote:See why you guys go for the big cabins - Are they heated?

Really nice rig too btw
The cabin is fully insulated and is heated with an espar airtronic forced air heater that runs on kerosene. I was in a short sleeve shirt while under way. We fired up the oven on the way up and had chicken pot pies, too. Why rough it?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

SO

Congratulations on the splash! You're a better man than me - I would have waited a week or so - Glad all went well.

A couple of questions: How much fuel did you have on board? Did you have all three tanks full? How about water and gear? The reason I ask is if you were light you may not be that far off on the props.

How did she tow? How much tongue weight do you have?

More picture and figures. Congratulations again.

SB
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Dang....looks cold. But who cares! She's WET, after all this time.

Good luck, SpoiledOne.

Do you have a Yamaha Fuel management system on her? And got those #'s by using it?
Yes, it it is the yamaha fuel management system. It stayed above freezing all night. The melt is on! It will be a while for Whitier, though. They received over 350 inches last winter. :eek:

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Shark Bait wrote:SO

Congratulations on the splash! You're a better man than me - I would have waited a week or so - Glad all went well.

A couple of questions: How much fuel did you have on board? Did you have all three tanks full? How about water and gear? The reason I ask is if you were light you may not be that far off on the props.

How did she tow? How much tongue weight do you have?

More picture and figures. Congratulations again.

SB
The launch was no big deal. I did not even need the other truck for retrieval, although he was there if I slipped. I had 2 of the three tanks full and four guys. She was loaded with gear, but not water. I will wait until May rolls around to use the water system. I hear you on being light and propping, but I really fee that it is very under propped. A friend with a 33 x 10.5 GC with the same power set up, sea trialed with the same props, and was under propped. He is much heavier than I will ever be. She tows better than my old Hewescraft. She tracks straight with no wagging the dog. I kept it right at 55 and felt very comfortable with the way she trailered. I will fill the third tank for the next trip. I only put three hours on her at speed, so more figures will come. I will be chasing spring grizzlies over the next two weekends, so it will be May before we hit the water again. I will keep you posted.

Pete

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

AlloyToy wrote:Cool to see the first launch with all that snow.......makes me here in the NE feel good about the messed up weather we've had

Great looking craft

Best of luck with her
You guys sure got hammered this winter. It must be looking like spring there now. Right?

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

S.O.

Do ya mind me using a pic or two of your here, on my blog. So the other half knows how the other half lives???

(Difference between Florida folk at the boat ramp versus Alaskan folk)

Meaning snow covered giant mountains, second truck, big beautiful cabin boats.

I can bet many of my readers have not a clue of what that country looks like behind you at that ramp.

Some day I wanna catch a Monster Speckled Sea Trout wade fishing Luguna Madre Texas, and some crazy looking bottom huggers in Alaska. With scenery like that behind me. In a boat like yours.

(Maybe with a shimano lucanus jig???)

Whatya say?
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Post away, Dave and come on up. The season is short, but teh fish are big!

Pete

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
ruggit

Post by ruggit »

Great looking boat. Perfect choice for what you are doing.
Armstrong 29 with Yamaha F350
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

SO

Please refresh my feeble memory. Is Patience a 29' X 9 1/2' or is she a 30' X 10' ? I can't remember.

SB
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

Shark Bait wrote:SO

Please refresh my feeble memory. Is Patience a 29' X 9 1/2' or is she a 30' X 10' ? I can't remember.

SB
She is supposed to be 29' x 10' but she ended up being 30' and I am okay with that.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Pete, Very Sweet , VERY

Don't let the griz eat your butt, watch your six and we want pictures of the hunt, That will drive marty crazy. :)
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

welder wrote:Pete, Very Sweet , VERY

Don't let the griz eat your butt, watch your six and we want pictures of the hunt, That will drive marty crazy. :)
Well, Lester, I have 270 grain TSX's that will deter most anything that walks the north land. I feel pretty confident. I will take lots of pics for sure. It is currently snowing side ways. I am sick of the white stuff. It is supposed to get up into the 40's by the end of the week. The bears will be getting wet in their holes and hopefully poking their heads out. Once May rolls around it will be time for the water. Black bears, shrimp, and beer. Halibut, shrimp, and beer. Family, shrimp, and beer...you guys get the picture. :D

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Do ya carry a side arm or a 12Ga. for back up ?

I have a .454 Casull

What Rifle are ya toten .338 Win Mag ?
Lester,
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

welder wrote:Do ya carry a side arm or a 12Ga. for back up ?

I have a .454 Casull

What Rifle are ya toten .338 Win Mag ?
I do carry an airlite 44 mag, but feel very comfortable with my pld model 70 375 H&H. She is cut and crowned right at 20" and is a pleasure to shoot. The bears do not seem to be able to tell the difference between the factory 24" barrel and the shorter version ;-) My hunting partner will also be carrying a 375 H&H. It will be nice to get out even if we do not see any bears.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Sounds like your going to have a Beary good time ................

Then Drink Beer. :D
Lester,
fishontop

Post by fishontop »

Man you are living the dream for a hunter and a fisherman. Don't ever lose sight of that. I love your state and if the wife would ever entertain the idea, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Our spring hunting is just about here and it is Turkeys. I can't imagine going after a nice Boar Grizz. I will be visiting Anchoage again the last week of June flyfishing for the kings....can't wait. Your boat looks great and you must be excited. Too bad this work thing gets in the way for all of us. Have a great season...Keep us posted on the bear hunt. I'm green w/ envy!!
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by spoiled one »

fishontop wrote:Man you are living the dream for a hunter and a fisherman. Don't ever lose sight of that. I love your state and if the wife would ever entertain the idea, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Our spring hunting is just about here and it is Turkeys. I can't imagine going after a nice Boar Grizz. I will be visiting Anchoage again the last week of June flyfishing for the kings....can't wait. Your boat looks great and you must be excited. Too bad this work thing gets in the way for all of us. Have a great season...Keep us posted on the bear hunt. I'm green w/ envy!!
Born and raised up here. I do not know anything else. Pretty cool playground! That work thing...well..it's a four letter word that we do not use in our house. Good luck on your King trip!

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

Congrates SO! The boat looks great!

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

SNOW IN THE FORCAST

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Pete, "PATIENCE" that what you need with all that wonderful snow falling! Some spring! The wind never stops blowing around here whic really happers the offshore season when your closest canyon is 68NM on way. Get a bear will ya! Will you be archery or gun hunting? Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Spoiled one Did you bloody your deck..... Fish ? bear? shrimp? Hows that sweet boat doing..... building some memories with your kids.................. impatient for Patience.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic