Lengthening a hull?

Mods and custom builds
buck3
Your location: Olympic Peninsula,WA

Lengthening a hull?

Post by buck3 »

I have talked to a local aluminum boat builder about boxing in the bracket to add flotation. He said that it would help with economy and would help slow me down while maintaining plane. Another option he we takes about is lengthening the hull 4'. I would love some extra room in the stern and have been contemplating coverting it into either a hand troller or power troller where the extra length would be beneficial.

I have just repowered with a new Suzuki df225. It tops out at 39kts. And cruises 25kts at 4250 rpm's. How much is a few more feet going to effect those numbers. How much can I add before my motor will be under powered?

He said that if I delivered it clean to him and rerigged the motor after. That I would be into it a max of 10k but probably around 5-6k. I am not sure why the huge difference in price but thats what he said. Also I would need to decide wether to go with a bracket again or have a splash well added.

What do you think would be best? I have a hard time believing that I would be able to sell this one and find a larger one for the 10k difference and even harder if the cost was closer to 5k, but what would the resale or value of the boat be after?

Thanks

Btw the boat is a 23'x9.5' commercial Almar.
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Re: Lengthening a hull?

Post by goatram »

I know that lengthening my boat helped a little on the purposing. I also boxed in the transom area under my swim step and now three guys can stand in one corner. Did it help the speed? No I added a Yamaha F250 and I get 46 mph at 5600 rpm and my fuel burn is 1.85 to 2.6 at 4000 rpm. I burn more gas now and am running the same speed as I was with the original F150. I get up on plane faster now and when loaded it stays on plane when the F150 would bog down and drop off. If you can wait till the fall when there is no fishing going on cause it will take 2 to 4 weeks out of your season for the mod.

Send a PM to Eric S on Ifish (went to school for Boat engineering but likes his job as a Paramedic) or Kmorin aka Kevin and ask privately. Liability, Designs, Engineering and all the other side issues are between you and them hid from the world to see. it's your boat and aluminum can be welded so mod away :smitty: :popcorn:
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Sea Lion
Your location: Denali Park, Alaska

Post by Sea Lion »

Buck3

I spent the month of March this year adding 30" to my rear deck. Check out "Your Alloy Boat" about the 8th post down "Almost new boat and new to the forum". We built the transom box down last year. Anyway you might find the post of some use.
ratherbefishin
Donator '10, '11
Your location: WA

Post by ratherbefishin »

-Dale
http://www.hewescraftowners.com
Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 with Honda 225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

ratherbefishin wrote:Check out this hull project.

http://www.hewescraftowners.com/viewtop ... f=11&t=906

He documented it here as well: http://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3802
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
ratherbefishin
Donator '10, '11
Your location: WA

Post by ratherbefishin »

Cool. Sorry for the duplicate.
-Dale
http://www.hewescraftowners.com
Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220 with Honda 225
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

ratherbefishin wrote:Cool. Sorry for the duplicate.
No worries. I figured I would post the link so that those of us that aren't members on the hewes forum could see the pics.
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic