Need advice on rod storage

Mods and custom builds
FISHOFF

Need advice on rod storage

Post by FISHOFF »

I want to do some rod storage under the side gunnals on my 2025. What type of rod holders and how to fasten to the boat :?: Thanks Rick
Fishoff Products LLC--Affordable and innovative fishing and hunting products. Home of the FISHOFF GLOVE, HIT N RUN lures and TREELIMB Treestand CAMO. Made in the USA Fishing the Chesapeake Bay region on the HIT N RUN Pacific 2025V CC
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

This is the best rod storage I've ever found.....had this same set up on my old boat, and had it done on my new boat.

would never have it any other way, especially us no top guys.

It's a "Key's Guide" thing. No t-tops and racks along console many times both sides and up to 12 rods long on bothe sides.
Notice the entire boat wrapped in gunnel pole holders too...its a south Florida thing, ya know drift fishing kites and such for Sailfish.
SEE..no T-top, and probably pole storage galore around console sides.
Even antenna's go on Console. I think this was Ralph Delph's Conch boat, he's a pretty famous guide in the keys, with 2-3 sons now taking the riegns.
Here's even the rods and the kite along console of a 27' Conch.

Before my alloy revolution, I was all about a custom built 27' Conch. It used to be the dream boat. But then I got SMARTER.

I opted for just 6 on one side, because I have a door on the other side of console.

I've seem on a small 19 that they did at Pacific a whole wrap around the sides and front of the console rod holder tubes.

A fabber and his welder can do it easy. If you'd want to go that way.

Any more with this boat of mine I refuse to, bolt, or screw anything to my boat. It will be done as if done at the factory or not done at all.
I even installed a chum chopper......drilled and tapped the holes, and it's coming OFF and will be done right (welded) as soon as I can spare the cash to get it done.

It's all about the "Welded Alloy Theme" to me, (in my diehard and many times opinionated opinion... :roll: :roll: :roll: )

This may have zero to do with your question, but at least it's something to think about.
FISHOFF

Rod holders

Post by FISHOFF »

I am looking to get them out of the way under the side gunnels. I would like to design something like a two piece rack on each side and use an epoxy glue to stick them to the sides. At the sign shop where I work P/T we use a two part epoxy gun to glue/weld metal and I have been using it glueing alum angle to the compatrment under my casting deck to keep my battery boxes in place and it holds extremely well. So that is how I will attach them. I just need to figure out the rod holder design and it mst be alum. Rick
Fishoff Products LLC--Affordable and innovative fishing and hunting products. Home of the FISHOFF GLOVE, HIT N RUN lures and TREELIMB Treestand CAMO. Made in the USA Fishing the Chesapeake Bay region on the HIT N RUN Pacific 2025V CC
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

How much room do you have to work with? (Top to bottom)
Do you plan on facing the rods (if more than one) in opposite directions?

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
FISHOFF

rod holders

Post by FISHOFF »

I think its about 18" top to bottom in that space. I would like to have at the least three rods on each side and the can go any way. Rick
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

I would make two cardboard templets to fit perfectly under your gunnels to the floor, then take and make them using 3/4" starboard in black. You can then drill the holes for the butts of the rods to go in the rear set and on the front set make smaller holes for the rod with slots to the outside with a bungie cord or hinged cover to keep the rods in the front holders. There are plenty of holder pixs you can copy from like in cabelas and such then drill and tap where it makes sense and use black 5200 to glue all the touching areas where you can't or don't want to drill and tap. They will never move once the 5200 sets up. Good luck. Mty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/store ... rchResults

I'd cut 4 of these out of aluminum and weld them in.
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

The design that Ironwoodtuna and Bullshipper mentioned sounds that it will fit the bill. If you're sure that epoxy will be strong enough, you can attach aluminum angle brackets to the sides of the starboard material and glue those down. I'm not convinced that glue or even 5200 will adhere to the plastic material well enough to support the weight of fishing rods.

Here's a few other ideas to consider. You can drill and tap some 1/4" aluminum bars to attach them to and glue the bars in place

http://www.thesundeckonline.com/Rubber3.htm

http://www.captharry.com/product/Rods-A ... s/683.html

Good luck with your decision, Scott
NUKE

Re: Need advice on rod storage

Post by NUKE »

FISHOFF wrote:I want to do some rod storage under the side gunnals on my 2025. What type of rod holders and how to fasten to the boat :?: Thanks Rick
I placed 2 of the circular perko holders under the boxes holding floatation ,between the cleat and stern. neat and out of sight of passerbys. ride is secure and quiet . on a 2025
NUKE
IN2DEEP

Re: Need advice on rod storage

Post by IN2DEEP »

NUKE wrote:
FISHOFF wrote:I want to do some rod storage under the side gunnals on my 2025. What type of rod holders and how to fasten to the boat :?: Thanks Rick
I placed 2 of the circular perko holders under the boxes holding floatation ,between the cleat and stern. neat and out of sight of passerbys. ride is secure and quiet . on a 2025
Got any pictures?...please?
FISHOFF

I like the Idea

Post by FISHOFF »

Hey Nuke can you take a pic of those perko rod holders in place ? And does the rod tip have anything holding it ?
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Nuke, creative I'd like to see that also.........
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

they are circular for overhaed storage ,two piece ,1 for the butt and 1 with a notch for rod holding.. nylon insert that spins past notch for holding rod placed about 32 " from one another .more or less depending on rod style.
I secured them with stainless # 8 3/4 screws and made rubber gasket to fit. another option for more rods would be to bond the same holders to the plate between deck and gunwhale. very low profile system. simular to what you might see in a glASS boat. sorry no pictures .
NUKE
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

gunnel racks

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

THis is the style I was talking about, but I was replying from my blackberry and had no way to paste the picture. I would use the starboard material and make them to follow the shape of the floor, hull and gunnel bottom instead of just straight blocks with the rod cutouts as shown. You can make a front hinged piece or use the bunji cords as shown.

ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
amfboats
Sponsor
Your location: Wanganui, NZ

Post by amfboats »

We fitted these by slotting through the carpet and sealing to the side of the boat.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic