Insulate a fish hold

Mods and custom builds
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13
Your location: Southern Philippines

Insulate a fish hold

Post by waterdog247 »

After fishing Diversion extensively this year, I have run into a significant issue. None of my fish holds are insulated. Two weeks ago we put 750lbs of sea ice in my starboard hold, and made a forty NM run out to the tuna grounds from Ilwaco, WA. The trip took about 2 hours, and within 5 hours, most of the ice had melted. While it was still super cold water, I see guys that can keep ice in a hold for two days.
The hold has a macerator pump, so I can evacuate the water easily, and its deep enough (5 feet long, 30 inches wide, 3 feet deep) that I can put 30-35 tuna easily. On an overnight trip, without enough ice, I could end up wasting fish. The exterior of the compartment is insulated against the engine compartment with reflective foam, but the bottom and outboard side are not.
I thought about a couple solutions. One was cutting Styrofoam insulation to fit, and then applying a sealant or epoxy to prevent water from getting behind the insulation.
What are some other methods, both permanent and temporary that your guys think would work?
Fish hold (800x600) (640x480).jpg
Fish hold (800x600) (640x480).jpg (212.31 KiB) Viewed 10508 times
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Re: Insulate a fish hold

Post by welderbob »

In big fishing boats they spray foam the tank. Its great if you can get to the outside. If not do the inside, I might leave a little air space somehow if that is the bottom of your boat in the picture. Then spray a heavy coating of truck bed liner (poly-urea ) over it.
Welderbob
3f8
Doator '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17
Your location: Gulfport, Fl

Post by 3f8 »

I'm dealing with the same problem. I'm trying polyethylene foam. Gulf water at 88' in an aluminum box. Ice would be gone before I left the dock. My box is not as geometrically symmetrical as yours. It tappers. If you could find a cooler of close dimensions. Just drop it in. Not cheap but something like an Icey-Tek 270qt.
"It was the Law of the Sea, they said. Civilization ends at the waterline.
Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top."
Hunter S. Thompson
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hello Waterdog247 Hows life back in the states treating you?????

Well the easy answer is move to Alaska get free ice :mrgreen:

But that would mean you are out of the Albacore zone..... Kind of jealous that my Northern Alloy brethren have such a great Tuna fishery.

I would think that a insulated drop in box could be an answer to explore. Do not know your dimensions though.

I do not know this company but the make custom insulated fish boxes........

http://www.beachfiber.com/marineproducts.html#deckboxes

Something in that line........ Hope it helps
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

The cheapest solution would be to apply this or a similar insulation to the outside of the box.
Cut to size, spray both surfaces with 3M “Super 77” adhesive, and stick it on. If that doesn't help, there are a couple of custom kill bag manufactures that will make a bag to fit inside your hold.
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

welderbob wrote:In big fishing boats they spray foam the tank. Its great if you can get to the outside. If not do the inside, I might leave a little air space somehow if that is the bottom of your boat in the picture. Then spray a heavy coating of truck bed liner (poly-urea ) over it.
Welderbob
That's kind of what we were thinking about our second option. Wasn't sure about chemicals and such, but is definitely the cheapest solution.
3f8 wrote:I'm dealing with the same problem. I'm trying polyethylene foam. Gulf water at 88' in an aluminum box. Ice would be gone before I left the dock. My box is not as geometrically symmetrical as yours. It tappers. If you could find a cooler of close dimensions. Just drop it in. Not cheap but something like an Icey-Tek 270qt.
Let me know how well that works. I would like to make it a winter project for me, so your experience will be important. That picture isn't a good one. Mine tapers also.
mojomizer wrote:Hello Waterdog247 Hows life back in the states treating you?????

Well the easy answer is move to Alaska get free ice :mrgreen:

But that would mean you are out of the Albacore zone..... Kind of jealous that my Northern Alloy brethren have such a great Tuna fishery.

Something in that line........ Hope it helps
Hi Mark! Hope you have been well! I must admit, our albacore fishery is pretty darn good. Just last weekend I put 26 on the boat. Plus one Yellow tail that escaped out the swimstep door. :(
Bob5292 wrote:The cheapest solution would be to apply this or a similar insulation to the outside of the box.
Cut to size, spray both surfaces with 3M “Super 77” adhesive, and stick it on. If that doesn't help, there are a couple of custom kill bag manufactures that will make a bag to fit inside your hold.
Hi Bob! That insulation is on the outside of the tank, on the engine side. Nothing on the bottom and I cant get to the outboard side. I think that just the metal contact with the ice, since aluminum transfers heat so well is the culprit. If I can isolate the ice from contacting the metal, like with a foam or spray, I can probably make ice last a long time.

Thanks for all the input gents, I will let you know how things turn out!

Jaime
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

A custom made fish bag made for the hold.

I ordered a new one this past June from Mike Hoggemin from IFish. Cost $395. My old one was made by the same manufacturer in OR. I will get it this coming week. The guy that made it is slow on producing it.

I measured the box and sent Mike the measurements of my box both times. The bag is made of a Heavy Vinyl inner and outer liner with a 1/2" closed cell foam core. It keeps the ice cold just like a kill bag does.
My old bag I cut up to fit my new bigger box. It no longer has a top. I cut it up to fit the taller size of the box. It has worked for me now for three trips. I use one of the Bass Pro Bags (I have two) that I lay on top of the Ice when I ice the night before. Once the tuna start hitting the deck that bag is folded up and put away.
Attachments
My bag in the fish box. with a load of tuna in it from last year
My bag in the fish box. with a load of tuna in it from last year
killbag1JPG.JPG (3.28 KiB) Viewed 10473 times
The form I used to describe my box.
The form I used to describe my box.
MikeKen1.jpg (1.32 KiB) Viewed 10473 times
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

That is a great Bag/Box design Goatram :thumbsup: Removable equals easier to clean. You do not have to worry about corrosion, if salt water decides to get in between the spray on insulation.

Do my Northern AAB brothers spike bleed and brine any of those white fleshed Albacore Tuna????

Waterdog247 lets see some Tuna on your decks....... pictures please :mrgreen:
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
waterdog247
Donator '10, '12, '13

Post by waterdog247 »

[quote="mojomizer"

Do my Northern AAB brothers spike bleed and brine any of those white fleshed Albacore Tuna????

Waterdog247 lets see some Tuna on your decks....... pictures please :mrgreen:[/quote]

Yes we do, at least I do anyway. Bonk it while its on the gaff, spike it, then bleed it in a bleed bucket. 5 minutes later, in the brine it goes.
Annes 1st tuna.jpg
Annes 1st tuna.jpg (47.32 KiB) Viewed 10381 times
#2.jpg
#2.jpg (87.9 KiB) Viewed 10381 times
Tuna.jpg
Tuna.jpg (86.63 KiB) Viewed 10381 times
goatram

Post by goatram »

Got my new bag that fits my fish box today from Oregon. Will take a picture of it tomorrow and post it up.
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
goatram

Post by goatram »

Got the pictures in my phone and the Phone's browser will not hook up with AAB nor will it download the pictures to the computer. So standby for the News as Paul Harvey would say :joecool:
John Risser aka goatram
2015 Ford F350 Dually
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Looking forward to "Now the rest of the Story" Miss that guy.

Thankyou for the pictures of "The Chicken of the Sea" and smiles all around :thumbsup: I always liked the Sea Hawks emblem and always imagined someone painting that on a bow.
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic