propane powered outboard

Motor discussion
Napa Mike
Your location: Bainbridge Island WA

propane powered outboard

Post by Napa Mike »

Hey:

Have you all seen this yet? Looks pretty cool! It only comes in 2.5 and 5 hp for now. If they could make one a little bigger, I bet it would make a great trolling motor!

http://www.golehr.com/marine.php
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Re: propane powered outboard

Post by pjay9 »

Where are they made?
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15
Your location: Wits End

Post by Sabs28 »

I would think that bigger models would come out sooner or later. Fork lifts, zamboni's & other larger equipment can run on propane, why not an outboard or inboard/ sterndrive:?: :?: :idea: :idea: I have a propane filling station about 2 miles from my house that can fill a couple of 200 gallon tanks at a wack. And the more you buy, the cheaper they sell it to you :thumbsup: .
Napa Mike
Your location: Bainbridge Island WA

Post by Napa Mike »

pjay9 wrote:Where are they made?

Hey Captain PJ. I'm not sure where the propane outboards are manufactured, but the company is based in Southern California. They make propane yard equipment that is all the rage in Southern CA. I also understand that the company has larger outboards under development, including a 175 hp model.

Even if you are not motivated by the environmental benefits, I think it is cool that almost all the propane burned in the US is produced in North America.

cheers,
Mike
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

THE FUTURE....."if we're still allowed to even fish and boat in the USA."

Saw a conversion to take my Cummins to propane or natural gas, and then pay only $1.45 equivelent to diesel cost per gallon.
Truckers already doing it? As seen on PBS.
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Post by pjay9 »

I use propane in the camper to run the genset. It seems OK, but for long term running I don't think it is all that good...I may use the gen for a max of 15 to 20 mins most use is about 5 to 10 mins for the microwave, charge the bats at the same time and the required hair dryer.

I have heard of the conversions that Jetty mentions...but is it cost effective and what about the power lost/gained and MPG?
It cost 2.99 per gallon in Tacoma, I guess if you buy bunches it would be cheaper...But where would I put the tank on my Diodge with the camper on board most of the time/lately all the time!

Will be interesting to watch the development of these outboards and who knows Lake Tahoe my require them and eliminate the use of 4 stroke gas OB's like they did 2 strokes...don't you just love CA...way in debt and still eliminating ways to get their economy back on track...I think WA is going down that road...we're allready allowing weed stores...OH WELL!!! 23*F outside and bright! have a good day! PJ
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

The Sears weedeaters and all, sounds like a great idea.

I like the idea. Big Rigs have already done the mods to a diesel. Per the Docmentay I saw they said more and more truck stops will have propane for them as a network is being formed so cross country routes have plenty of stops to get it.

Would like to hear the road stories from a trucker who has it or knows of someone who has it. They said the truck stops sell it at a $1.80 equivelent, versus $4.00 plus a gallon for diesel.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic