95 Armstrong; To expensive?

Sell or Trade your Alloy boat here
jj225
Your location: So Cal

95 Armstrong; To expensive?

Post by jj225 »

Found this on CL and was wondering if you guys think the price is high for an 18 year old boat regardless of the motors. Actually, even the motor is suspect as there's a fair amount of info on the internet discussing corrosion on the Yamaha motors.

http://victoria.en.craigslist.ca/boa/3686257739.html

Also, you can price out a new NR Seahawk Cuddy (24') for about 68k. A 22' Raider with forward windshield/cuddy sells for about 60k. Why spend that much on a used boat??
welder
Site Admin

Re: 95 Armstrong; To expensive?

Post by welder »

Boat has some good extras and is well made. That is his asking price, I'm sure he would come down some.
Sure looks clean in the picture.

Of course a inspection needs to be done by a qualified person INSIDE AND OUT.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
gulfislander
Your location: BC

Post by gulfislander »

I agre that it's priced a bit high compared to some other nice aluminums in that price range that have been for sale recently around victoria. but as welder said its just a starting point and once it sits around for a while not selling he'll come down! No harm in shooting him an offer either!
spoiled one
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Anchorage, Alaska

Post by spoiled one »

Looks to be a "big" 21 footer. Armstrongs are well built. It kicks the shet out of any production 21-24 foot boat for big water IMO. You really cannot compare it to a Hewes/Raider. What does a new one spec out at?
Spending my kids inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

2010 AK Meet & Greet
2012 AK Meet and Greet
jj225

Post by jj225 »

Armstrong really doesn't build many mono hulls. I asked for a quote for a 22' and they never really gave me an exact quote but more or less said it was going to come in around 100k. I wonder if this was a Canadian Armstrong before they moved to Port Angeles? What changes have there been since then in how they build? Regardless still think it's over priced. As an example there was an 05 NWAC 24' with a newer Zukie asking 58k. Now I know that boat is well built.

Also, the most over used phrase is "replacement value". It doesn't matter because a) the boat is used and b) the buyer isn't buying new. Boat builder told me that years ago and actually I believe he's correct on that one.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

That is a Canadian Armstrong and true, they don't build many mono's anymore since moving down here.

A true plate boat appreciates (or at least keeps up with inflation fairly well) over time if its maintained . . . a guy offered me 45k for mine last year which on the face of it for a 25 year old smallish boat that isn't pretty by anybody's definition was a reasonable offer but then what would I buy that even comes close to the functionality and durability in that price range? I'd venture a guess that the original owner of mine paid about 25k originally. A boat is worth what someone is willing to pay for it, it will be interesting to see what that BC boat goes for.

Incidentally, everything in Canada is more expensive and I'm not talking about currency exchange rate, stuff is higher up there and to a Canadian shopper that number is not nearly as out-of-line as it might seem to us.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
gulfislander
Your location: BC

Post by gulfislander »

jj225 wrote:Armstrong really doesn't build many mono hulls. I asked for a quote for a 22' and they never really gave me an exact quote but more or less said it was going to come in around 100k. I wonder if this was a Canadian Armstrong before they moved to Port Angeles? What changes have there been since then in how they build? Regardless still think it's over priced. As an example there was an 05 NWAC 24' with a newer Zukie asking 58k. Now I know that boat is well built.

Also, the most over used phrase is "replacement value". It doesn't matter because a) the boat is used and b) the buyer isn't buying new. Boat builder told me that years ago and actually I believe he's correct on that one.

That NWAC is exactly the boat i was thinking of. Way more boat for your money in my opinion
jj225

Post by jj225 »

Planning on flying up to Seattle so decided to check into the boat a bit more. Current owner has had it since 05. Pulled the pod off and put in the current bracket. Had it painted too. Motor only has about 275 hours or so. Had a 2 stroke before that. Didn't think it was used much as the previous owner used it as a commuter. Originally built for some tribe but no real info on that. Boat only has a 60 gallon tank for the main and a 15 gallon seperate tank for the kicker. To small for my planned use even if you plumb the two together. Sounds pretty interesting though and I bet it shows nice with the low hours.
Bob5292
Your location: Seattle

Post by Bob5292 »

I don't know anything about older Armstrongs, but I would much rather have a 15 year old commercial grade boat, than a brand new Hewes, Raider, North River, or any of the river boat builders for the same price.
jj225

Post by jj225 »

Bob5292 wrote:I don't know anything about older Armstrongs, but I would much rather have a 15 year old commercial grade boat, than a brand new Hewes, Raider, North River, or any of the river boat builders for the same price.
Would tend to agree if priced right. Still think it's a bit high for an 18 year old boat. As another example there's a 24' Norsco in CN that is asking 55k and it's an 04. Toss in the NWAC for 58k like I mentioned earlier and well you can see that we have something to compare it to. Both boats are newer and 3' longer and yet less expensive. The Norsco may not be an apples to apples comparison since it's an enclosed CC but the NWAC sure is. Although the Armstrong does not have a cuddy come to think about it. So even a bigger reason it's over priced lol!

North River may have river roots but their OS is from Almar which is not. Although I can't vouch for an Almar constructed boat vs. how they build them now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic