Jet throttle question

General boating discussion
tqboat
Your location: Chico, CA

Jet throttle question

Post by tqboat »

I'm a long time prop owner making the switch over to a (new to me) jet. Should the throttle lever move in "reverse" past the vertical position? While I understand the role of the bucket lever, I am a little confused over the throttle control. To increase propulsion the throttle lever is moved forward. Forward and reverse are controlled by moving the bucket lever regardless of what position the throttle lever is in. The throttle lever in my boat also moves in the "reverse" position which causes the propulsion to increase and moves the boat in the direction of the bucket. Not good if you keep your hand on the throttle, with the bucket in the forward position and move the throttle in "reverse". Is there something wrong with my throttle control?
GrantWooldridge
Your location: Seattle

Re: Jet throttle question

Post by GrantWooldridge »

tqboat,

Well, it sounds like there may be a worn out stop or something along those lines going on. When the throttle is pulled all the way back to idle then it should not move any furhter and it should not "re-aply" power as you pull it back. At least this is the case with the throttle we use on an inboard jet.

If you need new controls then both Flo-tech or Morse make good ones that are commonly used in the industry.

I hope this helps.

Grant Wooldridge
tqboat
Your location: Chico, CA

Post by tqboat »

I was hoping it was something wrong with the throttle and not a design flaw. Do you have a recommended website where I can purchase replacement parts? It is for a 2004 Boulton, Kodiak 200 Series Jet.
Napa Mike
Your location: Bainbridge Island WA

Post by Napa Mike »

Why don't you try calling Boulton? I think they should be able to tell you about replacement equipment for your boat.

Cheers,
Mike
onwhiskeycreek
Your location: SE Alaska

Post by onwhiskeycreek »

On my Alumaweld inboard jet single lever, it re applies power after you pass through the neutral position into reverse. On yours it may designed that way so you can pull both levers back to apply power in reverse. On my old school berkley pump, It is easier to move the bucket into reverse with the manual controls if the rpm's are reduced.

Gary
28 Alumaweld, 26 Olympic, 23 McGregor Venture sailboat, 5 Kayaks, 2 canoes, white water raft and cat, beach skiff and a rib
GrantWooldridge
Your location: Seattle

Post by GrantWooldridge »

tqboat wrote:I was hoping it was something wrong with the throttle and not a design flaw. Do you have a recommended website where I can purchase replacement parts? It is for a 2004 Boulton, Kodiak 200 Series Jet.

Like Napa Mike said, i would first call Boulton. Mike Boulton is a nice guy and should be able to help you out. Otherwise you can get Morse (MJB) controls from a number of marine supply stores. Fisheries supply here in Seattle has many of their parts and has a website you can check out. www.fisheriessupply.com. Or just look up Morse constrols.

Grant
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic