Non alloy superstructure on aluminum hull

General boating discussion
Fisherman
Your location: Central CA

Non alloy superstructure on aluminum hull

Post by Fisherman »

So folks, let's hear comments about it. What if I were to find an old alloy hull with no cabin. Or perhaps a small console. And I want a small walk around pilothouse, only I have no welding experience and don't want to pay to hire it done.

What are your thoughts if I would build my own NON ALLOY or wood/epoxy/paint structure and mount it on the floor? The only difficulties I see would be the alloy/structure junction...not sure the best way to make that connection.

What other potential issues could I face?

Obviously, this would not be my first choice, but if trying to keep costs in line, is this an option to consider?
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: Non alloy superstructure on aluminum hull

Post by Chaps »

No reason why you couldn't build a plywood house and fasten it down to the deck. There are also companies that make just pilothouses for situations like what you are considering.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
THEMOORINGMAN
Your location: RHODE ISLAND

Re: Non alloy superstructure on aluminum hull

Post by THEMOORINGMAN »

You don't say how big or wide the hull is but the heavy wooden superstructure will raise the center of buoyancy way up. Just buy a finished boat, don't take on a project like that.

Go price NON ALLOY, resin, marine wood, SS hardware then gelcoat, fairing material, windows, marine wire, paint and this should stop you in your tracks.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic