Pacific Boat Oregon

General boating discussion
MallardRain20
Your location: United States

Pacific Boat Oregon

Post by MallardRain20 »

Fellow Boat Owners

I'm starting my search for a new boat and looking for some opinions. I live in the Portland area and manly would be using the boat on the lower Columbia River and out in the ocean chasing tuna when they are relatively close (25-35) miles. I have been looking at the 21' Pacific and was curious what people think. My main concerns are its seaworthiness and does anyone have any first hand experience with one in the ocean. Also what people think on the the build quality compared to more production aluminium boat. And how is the buying experience. If anyone has any other suggestion please feel free.

Thank You
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Re: Pacific Boat Oregon

Post by Chaps »

Good boat but kinda small for offshore tuna chasing IMO. Not enough fuel, limited weather protection, weight carrying capacity, etc. Guys do it, I wouldn't. Welcome to the forum BTW
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Step up to the Pacific23 if you can.
Not much more money, bigger fuel tank 100+ gallons, higher freeboard and put a pilot hose on her that fits.
All that and it still trailers easy.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
capesteve
Your location: Cape Cod

Post by capesteve »

I've got a 20 foot pacific. It's a seaworthy boat that handles some nasty conditions but I would not take it out 25-35 miles offshore in my area (Cape Cod). That is a really long way home when the weather goes bad.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

was in the same mind set until Jay took me out on a sea trail. A good buddy of mine (Dave Malewski god rest his soul) chased tuna all over Cape Cod in a 20'. Very seaworthy boat, easy on/off the trailer. He had a 135 Honda on it and it was a rocket. Did the sea trial in a 23' Jay had (demo boat) and just as easy to get on/off the trailer alone,few $$$$$ more......why not :?: and I powered it with a Yammi 150 4S I owned. Not super fast but does just fine. Here in New England 17-20 knots is typical speed for those with bad backs :mrgreen: I'm not a big CC go fast kinda guy :eyepop:

I personally would run a 20' offshore on bluebird days. Just gotta have a flexible schedule and watch the weather in advace. Then again I use to run my 20' Maritime out to Stellwagon cod fishing. IMO your seamanship is what's important, as well as having proper safety gear. Up here guys run 26' CC's to the canyons so it's a amtter of how much you want to push it :popcorn:

Few pics :thumbsup:

Good luck :beer:
Attachments
melewski.gif
melewski.gif (93.13 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
boat gh.jpg
boat gh.jpg (200.39 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
IMG_0587.JPG
IMG_0587.JPG (41.75 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG (216.91 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
MallardRain20
Your location: United States

Post by MallardRain20 »

Thanks everyone for your input
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Although, I'm in wimpy - sissy boy - slick seas - FLORIDIAN......according to all these tough Pacwest Mariners around here on AAB.com that never post a photo of themselves in their boats doing much of anything.

I fish a 26' CC "southern edition" A LOT.

I'll go anywhere, on about any day, and attempt to.... "KILL -A -Fish" in my 26 footer by myself. I may get really WET! As I wouldn't call my boat the dry'est ride around by NO means.

But when it comes to SLOGGIN through the nasty. Damn it's seaworthy :!:

Get yourself a "fort" type aka: cabin to tuck into and you can go about anywhere....deep or shallow.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Will add that in the above picture you can see my buddies 20' with the "dog house" IMO it was a bit unstable. If you choose to go this route I would ask Pacific to find a boat that you can sea trial first to get a good feeling :popcorn:

Capt. Jetty is right......Pacific and dry do not belong in the same sentence....Pacific and "seaworthy" do.....If you buy a Pacific do your homework and have them incorporate spray rails into the boat. Nice and wide not the narrow ones :deadhorse: Spray rails that actually do something :clap: Hint 3 1/2" wide :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ws8zBXxeP0

They not only knock down the spray but add cushion to your land on those long rides hole :thumbsup:
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

Hate to chime in again but have to disagree. I routinely take my V20 hard top out to fish the nasty rips of Vineyard sound, Elizabeth Islands etc etc under all but he most ridiculous conditions and never have felt it to be unsafe or "downright scary" at all, including in a beam sea. Is there any other condition besides wind against the tide?? Yes it can be a wet ride, so the enclosure of the hard top comes in handy. I would not take it out 25-35 miles off shore, but then again I don't think I would take any 20 footer out that far. If the weather changes you could be in for a very long wet pounding ride back or worse. I would not want to be stuck in a very steep tight following sea. Everyone needs to know their own limitations, but I think you can be confident that it can handle the vast majority of inshore conditions very well. I would definitely try to go for a sea trial if possible before buying any boat.
MacCTD

Post by MacCTD »

Black Beard wrote:
PSOST1.JPG
capesteve,

This is would be your boat viewed from the stern if it did not have the V20 Bracket. Add a hardtop to that narrow beam, not the best for "heavy rip fishing".

What kind of speed do you get with the 115HP? What year is your boat?
'05 Pacific 1925
Mercury 150
capesteve

Post by capesteve »

Black Beard wrote:
PSOST1.JPG
capesteve,

This is would be your boat viewed from the stern if it did not have the V20 Bracket. Add a hardtop to that narrow beam, not the best for "heavy rip fishing".
No mine is essentially the same boat as AlloyToys friends boat with the 135. V2025 hardtop with the stern bracket. 135 Honda. A different design than the one pictured. Not sure what the beam on the pictured boat but looks smaller. Is that the 1925? I can only tell you my experience, no offense taken!
choyero
Your location: El Pescadero, B.C.S.

Post by choyero »

You may want to give the 21ft. Pacific a try. It has the same transom as the 19ft. but is a full 8'6" wide. It is very stable in all conditions.
Attachments
P1010007.jpg
P1010007.jpg (63.22 KiB) Viewed 7152 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic