Drain plug?

General boating discussion
buck3
Your location: Olympic Peninsula,WA

Drain plug?

Post by buck3 »

All right I am getting ready to launch my boat for the summer and I am probably over thinking this.

BUT, what is the best drain plug to use for a aluminum boat.

I need a expanding 1" plug, not threaded.

I have looked around and see that they make them out of stainless, brass, and aluminum.
Sabs28
Donator '11 '12 '13 '14 '15
Your location: Wits End

Re: Drain plug?

Post by Sabs28 »

Mine is brass with a rubber sleeve & is tightened/ expanded with a mini threaded t-handle. Works great when I remember to use it :doh: There is also the same style that has a flip latch type handle on the end.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... ug&i=21622

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... le&i=71744
buck3
Your location: Olympic Peninsula,WA

Post by buck3 »

Yeah. I usually use the brass t-handle pug, I have just been over thinking the whole thing I guess.

Just got done going over my insurance and realized how much money that $1.99, made in Taiwan, plug keeps floating.
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Don't use the snap handle type, someone gets a heavy leader caught up in it and gives it a jerk that snap handle could easily pop open. SS twist to expand better in my opinion though a threaded pipe plug made out of aluminum is the best if the hole could be tapped
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
goatram
Donator 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
Your location: Stanwood, Wa

Post by goatram »

The Brass one needs to be new when you launch the Boat. Replace it after two months or so if left in the water. I had my old NR's Plug go bad after a month in the water. I pulled the plug and the threads on the inner bras plate where eaten away. It was a plug that I bought a year previous. Red the stories on the Hull Truth and on BD. Boat sunk at Westport 2012 new boat and a new plug on Float 4.

I have welded in Aluminum pipe fittings with plastic plugs installed. and I do change them out now yearly.. $2. cheap. Better than a :nutkick: .
John Risser aka goatram
33' RBW with twin 250 Hondas (Aliens)
2015 Ford F350 Dually
Master of R&D aka Ripoff and Duplicate
Gypseas
Donator 14, 15
Your location: Victoria, BC

Post by Gypseas »

Had the same problem with the ss store bought plugs, gone after a month or so moored in salt

ended up bonding the plug bolt to the hull and couple boats later I am still good mooring the in salt
keggadev1
donator 15,17
Your location: New Hampshire

Post by keggadev1 »

Maybe a stupid newby question, but why not an aluminum threaded plug in an aluminum threaded hole? Wouldn't use of the same material prevent bi-metallic corrosion?
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

keggadev1 wrote:Maybe a stupid newby question, but why not an aluminum threaded plug in an aluminum threaded hole? Wouldn't use of the same material prevent bi-metallic corrosion?
Its not a stupid question. Some boats don't have threaded holes for a pipe plug so those owners need to use some type of expanding rubber plug. Those of us who have threaded holes use either stainless or aluminum pipe plugs.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
keggadev1
donator 15,17
Your location: New Hampshire

Post by keggadev1 »

Thanks Chaps
Shark Bait
Donator 08, 11, 15, 17

Post by Shark Bait »

"Its not a stupid question. Some boats don't have threaded holes for a pipe plug so those owners need to use some type of expanding rubber plug. Those of us who have threaded holes use either stainless or aluminum pipe plugs."
Another option if you have a threaded drain hole is to use a heavy duty plastic pipe plug - no corrosion issues with the plastic plug. Been using one for 6 years with out any problems. :beer:
salmonater
Your location: Tacoma,wa

Post by salmonater »

I would suggest, that if your hole isn't threaded that you take the time to thread it, or take it to someone qualified, and have it done. That way you don't have to worry about the plug falling out or failing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic