Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

ALUMINUM FLATS FISHERMAN ???

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

So,

I got a question to the Alloy Builders,

Who is going to be the first to build an Aluminum Alloy 19' or 21' Flats boat with either a Yamaha Jetdrive outboard

or a Sword Marine Jet drive diesel

for running the Florida, LA, Texas flats for inshore fishermen, with a tubular stand push-pole tower, large live wells, big non-obstructed bow casting deck, etc., etc.,

I sure dave would het a woody and convert!

Who's 1st????
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
gandrfab
Your location: Edgewater Fl

Post by gandrfab »

If some one wants to design and make cutting files
I have the shop and the capability to build such a boat
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Funny post.

I was just talking early this morning on the dock with a friend.charter captain who runs a flats boat here on Casco Bay.

I've always admired the functionality, layout and hull shape of flats boats and have always wanted to do an alloy one.

Some of the flats guys worry about noise onboard - metal to metal....

Great idea!
Jay Perrotta
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

UT OH!!!! You see what's developing here!!! :D :D :D
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

There are several builders of "sleds" in the NW which are boats designed to run up and down the thin water rivers here in pursuit of salmon & steelhead. They typically are equipped with jet drive outboards up to 200 hp. In gathering builder names for the big links list several SE companies that also have some suitable models are listed.

Browse here: http://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic ... 69&start=0

check under topics: Whitewater, Drift Boats, Jets & Sleds & Lake & Bayou, Skiffs, Prams, Bass & Family Boats, Flats Boats
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Jay, If the hull is sound deadened like my boat, and plasteak deck and Herculiner, it will be whisper quite for them. mty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
NUKE

flats boats

Post by NUKE »

welded alloy flats boat would have shallow draft, almost flat bottom and very little freeboard . ! I bet Jay could come up with a Dandy if he set his mind on it Marty. check out tunadawg they build them already or kit in LA.
NUKE
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

There is one Marty. I saw a Jet inboard a guy sent me a pic of one, that was built by a Mid-west boat builder........ugly as home made soap. But said it runs shallow, but not thru the martsh grass very well. I could do that in a Skiff and a 40 Yamaha.

In S. Florida, they call a alloy flats boat that canrun over the grass an Air Boat!

I looked to see if I still had his PM he sent but I don't.

It looked like a flats boat, and was even for sale I think he said in SW florida. Back 3 months ago.

till then its all about Jet outboards. They take up less space in small light weight boats.

Ya wanna go really skinny, ya gotta get one of these:
http://www.reelfootcustomcamo.com/machete_boats.htm - you'll leave a jet boat behind.
Black Spot Boats

Love the Idea of the diesel jet

Post by Black Spot Boats »

Looks like an awesome idea. Taking ours to 19' - 20' or 21' would be a piece of cake. We already run in very shallow water and draft at rest is a mear 3.5" with a free board of only 14". No problem sneaking up on the fish or getting out of the hole. I might have to give those Sword guys a call. Hope they have something smaller than 200 HP. I'll get some pictures up of our new model soon.
Merrill S. Johnson
WWW.BlackSpotBoats.com
New England Distributor for Rolls Axle Trailers
WWW.Rollsaxle.com
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Merrill,

Your boat there reminds me more of one of the Texas "scooter type" hull than a typical Flats boat.

IE: Action Craft, Hewes, Eget etc.
And here even, they'll knock you around out on the average day on the river. Not the best for our big water.

The one I did see was a "typical" Flats boat with one of those jet boxes under the deck. I should have saved the picture the guy showed me. I thought it was a once in awhile AAB member that comes and goes here. Guess not. It was a boat with freeboard, a V bow and all the typical flats boat stuff. Not a great looking boat...stern had big black mufflers hanging down to the water.

Either way, it's an option.

Marty Loves those Jets. Hardly hear a word about them here in Fla. Every once inawhile a jet O/B....but never one of those inboard jets.

Always thought if a prop wasted alot of power, a Jet really wastes power to maker a boat move fast.

Ole fisherman tale? I don't know. But waste is for endless wallets in today's world. Maybe high HP is needed because of wasted power?

Hmmmm, interesting.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Dave , here in Texas Merrill boats are Flats boats and what you are talking about are what we call Bay Boats.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Black Spot Boats

Flats Boats

Post by Black Spot Boats »

Jetty,
You're right. We cater more to super skinny running. The typical flats guys, in my humble opinion, really don't need a jet for one simple reason. They get a rather heavy NON ALLOY boat planed out and cruise into the "shallows", set the boat down and with their deeper drafts, hang up on the bottom or siply don't have the water to get back up on plane. Bad for the boat, worse for the environment. I think most guys with props worry about having to buy new ones and stay deep enough to protect them. Jets do drink a bit faster as well. I will say that I am a huge fan of the jet for many reasons though. The top reason is safety! With all the kids we have enjoying the water with us, not having a prop to worry about is a tremendous stress reducer. Since our jet intake is actually above the bottom of the boat, if a kid, adult, dog, etc went over, the motor would slip right over them. I've never had it happen, but have heard tales and as an avid duck hunter, my vet has seen dogs that have tangled with props, even at idle speed. Anyway, its all good and there are many great options to explore. I love the stuff members of this forum throw out. Thanks for the thoughts.
Merrill S. Johnson
WWW.BlackSpotBoats.com
New England Distributor for Rolls Axle Trailers
WWW.Rollsaxle.com
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Welder....Bay, Flats. It all depends of the user.

Bay boats were supposed to go over the nasty bay, were deeper freeboard and still could go shallow enough.

But there's "typical" Flats boats, that I don't want to be in either going 25 miles thru the "bay"

Here's one...un typical I don't want to cross the bay in in a gale! :lol: :lol:

In Fla. we call it a mullet boat.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

JETTYWOLF wrote:Welder....Bay, Flats. It all depends of the user.

Bay boats were supposed to go over the nasty bay, were deeper freeboard and still could go shallow enough.

But there's "typical" Flats boats, that I don't want to be in either going 25 miles thru the "bay"

Here's one...un typical I don't want to cross the bay in in a gale! :lol: :lol:

In Fla. we call it a mullet boat.
That is a wild looking boat Jettywolf. With the motor so far forward the steering must be quite different. I haven't seen anything like that before.
cptom
Donator '10

Post by cptom »

Rock,

That is a boat made for net fishing (seine/gill net) and the motor is forward to keep it away from the net that is handled at the stern.

Fortunately, for the recreational fishermen in Florida, gill nets have been banned even for mullet. Fishing improved tremendously after the heavy pressure from gill nets and "roller rigs" was eliminated. It took a state "constitutional amendment" to secure the ban due to heavy commercial netting influence (read campaign contributions) in the state.
jrogers
Donator '08

Post by jrogers »

Here is a local guy running shallow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3Wo65JCydI

The two hot local boats are the extreme shallow http://www.boatshopak.com/xs.htm and the Phantom jet boat http://www.phantomjetboat.com/.
Jim

Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

If I wanted short and light alloy for flats chop, I believe a cat would be the way to go.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic