Thomas 27

A Place to Show and Tell
byodsl

Thomas 27

Post by byodsl »

Anybody familiar with this brand of boat? Has a v8 370 Cummins in it. Boat and motor 73 model I believe. All aluminum except for the decks.
Wish it had a small cuddy and a 6bt and Id be drooling uncontrollably. Id imagine this motor can get pretty thirsty even running biodiesel. Im going to have to research which marine motors are more bio friendly.
They are asking 25 or so for this boat, needs quite a bit of renovating and Ive never heard it run. Sank at the dock around Christmas but hit bottom before motor submerged so I was told.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Welcome byodsl. I am not familiar with the Thomas make either. Looks a little like a Winninghoff. What's the beam and deadrise of her? The price seems reasonable if the power is o.k. and working. If she sunk you probably have to look into rewiring her. Nice photos. Good luck in your search for an AAB.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

This might be a stupid question, but in it's last "life" was it a cruiser/dive boat?

I'd be breaking out the sawzaw with a wrecking blade and getting rid of all that piping and rails, and into the recycle bin. That would be my ECO-friendly contribution. But hey.... :roll: that's just me...

Sunk at the dock huh? Yep, that's an straight shaft aged inboard for ya.

Sorry, never heard of a Thomas.
byodsl

Post by byodsl »

I was told this came from the Bahamas and was used as a ferry boat? Doesnt have any tank racks or any other seats or coolers, fish boxes, just a bunch of access hatches/inspection covers. I didnt lift them all but none were for storing anything just saw very clean aluminum on all I pulled up.

They told me that battrey charger got unplugged and bilge pump drained the battery. These people live in TN and it really rained a lot in Jan-Mar, filled up and sank and just got trans under water. The yard hauled the boat immediately (day or 2?) and pickled the M&T When I looked at boat the bilge had a lot of water( prob 2-400 gal) in it again from more rain after they hauled it out. I took the plug out of it before I left, hoping the owner wouldnt mind. They are trying to get the ins co to pay for ? what I dont know... cost involved in hauling and damages.

[img][img]http://i27.tinypic.com/eq2qvr.jpg[/img][/img]
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

THOUGHTS FOR YOU!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

byodsl,

A) Welcome to the crew!

That Thomas 27 diffenately has potential. Here's my take on a $27K investment. If the motor is still running and not damaged, based on your opening comments, I would do the following:

1) I would take off the consle and tee-top/second station setup. I would build a raised pilot house with a forward cabin that would give you the ability to sleep in it, and the pilot housewould give you the comfort running in nasty weather. The foward cuddy off the pilot house would drop below the main deck level and allow you to have a 6'6" or 7' berthing area to sleep two people with a Diamond Seaglaze water tight 1/2 size hatch/door on the side ofthe new cuddy, couple of windows on the sides, portapotty, rod storage, etc.

2) Next, I would remove the entire decking, raise it if necessary to accomidate a larger tank (if needed) then lay a new aluminum floor with a nice decking material on it. Depending what size fuel tank it has and the regular distances you are going to need to cruise, I would leave it or increase it before doing the deck.

3) I would remove the existing transom tubing and bogus platform and cables on the transom. I would redo it if you still want it for diving, but make a new full transom dive platform that is a little higher to fit above the trim tabs. Then some nice looking pipes done with style. Marty
Last edited by Ironwoodtuna on Sat May 31, 2008 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Post by Jay Perrotta »

The only Thomas I know of was on Long Islad, NY. They build custom alloy boats for nearly 30 years until the pricipal retired maybe 4 or 5 years ago.

They made a good numbern of commercial boats, harbormasters, fireboats, etc.

They never really had a "look" as each project was different but the level of fit and finish looks like theirs.

That's all the help I can offer!
Jay Perrotta
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I'd like to tell you 'bout my old hound dogs...but I will just comment on the boat.

I bought a boat about 25 years ago that had sunk "only for a few days" . The problems that I had never seemed to end. Ofcourse it was a glass boat with wood stringers so much of my trouble would not be encountered with an alloy boat. But still I would never ever do it again.

With all the work that you would have to do on this boat, and it's age (that's a 35 year old motor now), it seems like 25K is a very tall price to ask.
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 0&cit=true

(for anybody scratching their heads...the first line in the post is a reference to byodsl's first post)
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Here is an interesting much newer 2003 Thomas cat for 60K. I know that it is more than double the price...just the only other Thomas I found for reference.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... 6&cit=true
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
byodsl

Post by byodsl »

Thanks for all the replies. Yeah a cabin would be nice. Its plenty big enough to benefit from some changes. Here in the Gulf the ling tower is pretty much std on a boat like this and kinda like it but it would be nice to incorporate a pilothouse and cabin and keep the upper helm. Yeah that is a pretty lame platform and it would definitely have to go. I dont know the purpose of the big tubes, maybe bumpers to back against the dock...?

Dave...You found the listing for this thing, Shhh.. The Wishing Well has been exposed, Run around the town singin your blues I know you aint going anywhere...
the newer ThomasCat is pretty awesome too and only about a hr & 1/2 away but Id have to sell all the camaro stuff plus the 55 to think about it. And I was wanting to put that LS1/T56 in the 55.
I think I originally googled aluminum diesel and this is one I found locally and had to go take a look. It definitely has potential but like you guys say it potentially/probably has lots of issues. If I could get it for about 50% of asking price Id feel pretty good about it especially if it would crank and go...for awhile. I found a good deal on a 240 hp yanmar closeby that would probably use 1/2 the fuel the big cummins would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVFyyXUAKls
Nat

Post by Nat »

With all the sandbars around here on the Alabama Gulf Coast the inboard would limit the boats use.

also you will spend more time working on that old boat than you will fishing. do want to be a slave to the boat? or do want to go fishing

just my opinion, I like simplicity and function, for use in our area that boat offers neither

what type alloy is the hull?

I looked for 4 years to find a good used 23 pacific, and finally gave up and bought a new one. I'd send Jay a round trip ticket to mobile and go to OB with your checkbook in hand. Have Jay run the bost and inspect it from one end to the other. Ignore the salesman.......I'd offer $17,500
if it's in aceptable condition. They will counter @ $25k
Then tell them your final offer..........buy it or walk

if you walk, the cost of the ticket is cheap for getting to meet jay and have him tell you about the boat, you bought some knowledge

a new one will cost you north of 60 grand
welderbob
Donator ,15
Your location: Holbrook, NY

Post by welderbob »

I worked for Thomas on and off for a number of years. That boat was built by Tom.

I might be able to answer any of the questions you have.

I now have my own company that builds aluminum boats.

Bob
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Welcom Bob!
Holbrook, LI?

Lets see a some pix of your boats.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic