Hey left coasters???

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Hey left coasters???

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Why aren't any of you posting pics like this of these "left Coast Sea Trout",
yep, these are just jumbo versions of what I specialize in over here in Dixie. Our just never get that big.

They have to be, because they look identical.....with out specks.\

Are these hard to catch or something????

If I had to be located westward, these are what I'd fish for, because they'd remind me of home, and larger. Which I assume means scarcer???

Look to be Light Tackle bruisers.

C'C'mon????
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

WSB or White Sea bass.
I have not taken my new boat to the island yet (Catalina - 20+ miles out) ...but they were catching these big fish last weekend...lots of 'em. Fishing for them is hit and miss. But I will do my best to post a couple this year.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Bullshipper

Post by Bullshipper »

These were almost wiped out until they started a non profit hatchery in Redondo about 15 years back. There are 2-3 site now I believe, but in total they are only releasing about 250,000 youngins a year.

I used to sell over 15 million salmon for release to one company alone in Oregon, so this gives you an idea how well these fish survive compared to the +100 million smolts released in the Pacific NW, which is a much more pristine environment than southern California. The salmon season is completley shut down btw.

I believe the limit on WSB is still one per angler, and most of the fish planted in California are actually caught off the west coast of Mexico.

Untapped potential IMO.
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

All I know is that if I had to go to the west coast for anything, I'd certainly want to target one of these big fat looking, T-rex sized Seatrout.

Paint some Speckles on it via Photoshop and I could have the freinds and associates here, about fooled that I just caught the largest Trout in exsistance on the east coast.

We're seeing pics of Cod, Cod, Haddock, More Cod. Some Speckled sea Trout from below the Mason Dixon line (me), and a few more Cod.

YOU west coasters are certainly not being represented here as fisherman...
Mojo, SL Dave, Long Ranger, etc......... Because we aren't seeing any fish labeled "last weekend" off LA. or San Deigo, :oops: :oops: etc.

Plus the Alaskans are letting me down too...haven't seen hide nor Fish much outa them lately.

Hmmm :roll: C'C'mon?????
calstabi

Post by calstabi »

I be a Left Coaster........and new to offshore fishin.

Been out to Catalina 3 times but been using the dead stuff and plastics.....

Me thinks I have been bait challenged and need to get LIVE bait tank working on my boat............for the near future it looks like I need some kind
of cheap aerated bait bucket........

I'll post my fist WSB........Butt..........and Yellow here.
CanCanCase
Your location: Charleston, OR

Post by CanCanCase »

JETTYWOLF wrote:...Plus the Alaskans are letting me down too...haven't seen hide nor Fish much outa them lately.

Hmmm :roll: C'C'mon?????
You shovel snow in May sometime and see how early you can start YOUR season! The first few king salmon are just being caught this week, and the halibut aren't in yet... we're all busy watching humpback whales and filing affidavits for the lawsuit being filed against the 1 halibut rule that goes into effect tomorrow...

I'll be out on the coast Monday, and I'll bring a camera. Last time I was in Elfin Cove was a few weeks ago, and all we got to speak of was this wolf eel.

Then there was the bear hunt...

This was the last fish anyone in my family caught last weekend (didn't think you'd want to see it with all your whining about cod):

Enjoy...
-Case
M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Charleston, OR
Boating is not a matter of life and death. It's much more important than that!
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Do not know squatolla about seasons. But do surf other sites. So....

I expect I'd see alot out of the Alaskans...(your pics are wonderful. Doesn't matter what they are of. It's what makes this place more interesting)

"NO ones whining about Cod" The cod'ers are a given...(they live and breath, them) Although I thought we'd see some Striper action(?) From the N. East folks.

The Speckled Trout and other BS "summer fish" here, for me are a given, I need to catch me some variety here soon, too.

I'm just waiting on some California action. (from certain people??)
I'm not a sharks or tuna man, but would like seeing the "other" species.

It's June already!! I can easily remember when it was February and everyone was chomping at the bit.

Hurricane season is here...for us in Fla.."let's PAR'TAE".
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

"You shovel snow in May sometime and see how early you can start YOUR season".

I hear ya buddy. These flip flop surf short wearing Southerners :D just don't understand us Northerner's (and I am South of you). Besides Jettywolf knows how to use a shovel.

Skinning that bear on board with any kind of sea takes talent. Nice pics and congrats on the spring bear.

Our season just kicked off in May and is late this year. June should be good with July and August in full stride.

I can't speak for the lefties down South in Cali etc. (flip flops and board shorts again :D ).
Last edited by Sculpin on Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

Went out today with my son and my buddy and his son. Caught a nice Ling " COD" and got some nice Dungeness crabs and some larger than normal red rock crabs. Dropped some prawn pots for the hell of it but didn't do so good as the commercial guys have kicked the crap out of it. Prawning is done for us now until fall. Didn't bring the camera so no pics.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

I hear you guys loud and clear. Lots of forces keeping me off the water this Spring. And still getting some little stuff in order on the boat. Pics will come soon.

For one: The GPS in my new boat looks like the original. Not the "original" that came with the boat... the original, first GPS ever made. Get's me back to the harbor, but that is about it. Having that replaced this week.

Man that wolf fish is an ugly bugger. What do they taste like?
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
CanCanCase

Post by CanCanCase »

S L Dave wrote:...The GPS in my new boat looks like the original. Not the "original" that came with the boat... the original, first GPS ever made. Get's me back to the harbor, but that is about it....
LOL... I had one of those on my belly-button boat in the 80's...
S L Dave wrote:Man that wolf fish is an ugly bugger. What do they taste like?
It's a very firm, slightly stringy white fish. So far we've BBQ'ed him, and everyone seemed to like it. You know when you steak a salmon or trout how you get the 2 round "striation" patterns where the 2 large muscles have been cross-cut... looks fairly circular? This wolf eel's cross section had a "+" shaped spine, with 4 of those round muscle cross sections in each quadrant... 16 circular muscles running the length of its body... weird.

Apparently, the one we caught is male because he's grey in color. Females are bright orange/brown, and both sexes will snap a wooden broomstick or gaff in half with those jaws.

I'm off to the same spot in about 3 hours to see what else we can dig up from the coastal depths!

-Case
Kelper
Your location: Craig, Ak

Post by Kelper »

I broke my boat engine! Actually I sheered an impeller in my Honda 90 and it's been sitting in the repair shop for a week without even being looked at. (don't get me started) Most everybody in my town has switched over to Yami/Merc as the shop that deals them has amazingly quick repair service. I've been terribly tempted to bolt a 150yami or 150 opti to the back of my skiff and see how fast she would go...
Kelper
Your location: Craig, Ak

Post by Kelper »

CanCanCase wrote: we're all busy watching humpback whales and filing affidavits for the lawsuit being filed against the 1 halibut rule that goes into effect tomorrow...
Lawsuit? I haven't heard anything about it, but I hope you guys can make some changes. What are the details?
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Our King Mackerel have those same + bone and you get muscle sections for the fryer out of them....if you care to eat King Mackerel. I don't.

Hey Kelper, I'm here in CROC wearing, skin cancer country and just took my year and half old Honda in this morning for a chipped tooth on the forward gear in the lower unit. No outboard manufacture so far has made me satisfied. They all can't stand up to the Jettywolf, I guess. I've broke them all, and they all have left me hanging.

(max. 4 grand, run for 2 miles anchor, soft peddle for two more miles anchor. repeat. Not as if I'm hard on them)

The only brand I have not run is a Merc.

My water pump fried at about a year old. It was the original.

You'd think that in the big city it would be "in & out".....I was told a week and half. More loss of $$, again.

Looks as if I got some "west" coasters all stirred up and full of spit & vinegar. Or is it the sand or snow? If that produces fishing reports and pics. My plan worked.

Yeah that means YOU, SL Dave & MOJOMIZER!
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Kelper wrote:I broke my boat engine! Actually I sheered an impeller in my Honda 90 and it's been sitting in the repair shop for a week without even being looked at. (don't get me started) Most everybody in my town has switched over to Yami/Merc as the shop that deals them has amazingly quick repair service. I've been terribly tempted to bolt a 150yami or 150 opti to the back of my skiff and see how fast she would go...
If you are talking about a waterpump impeller, that's a DIY job for sure.
If they have the parts in stock. Buy them and pull your boat out of there.
Next time they'll give you better service.
Maybe welder will fly up there and help you :wink:
http://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?t=619
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Send me a ticket and I'm there, oh yea I'll need a place to stay and a place to catch some awesome fish.
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

It's nice to be water pump "inclined"...... :lol: :lol:
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Take the bad part out then put the new part in and shake it all about.

Piece of cake Bra.

Dave did the package show up ?
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
CanCanCase

Post by CanCanCase »

Kelper wrote:
CanCanCase wrote: we're all busy watching humpback whales and filing affidavits for the lawsuit being filed against the 1 halibut rule that goes into effect tomorrow...
Lawsuit? I haven't heard anything about it, but I hope you guys can make some changes. What are the details?

Kimberly Tebrugge
Charter Halibut Task Force
Ph: 360-480-8117
Fax: 720-302-4949
kimberly@charterhalibut.org
www.charterhalibut.org

Alaska Charter Fishermen File Lawsuit

Washington, D.C. – May 29, 2008 – Charter fishermen along the coast of Southeast Alaska have united to file a lawsuit today against Secretary of Commerce Carlos M. Gutierrez over a rule that took effect Sunday changing the daily bag limit for anglers fishing from charter boats in Southeast Alaska from two halibut per day to one halibut per day. The suit alleges that the Secretary failed to comply with the fair and equitable allocation requirements of the Northern Pacific Halibut Act and also violated the Administrative Procedures Act.

Charter fishermen claim the one halibut daily limit will bring economic harm on the economy of Southeast Alaska coastal communities. Affidavits from 11 plaintiffs filed as part of the lawsuit show approximately half a million dollars in their losses alone. In addition, two charter operators from Southcentral Alaska filed affidavits in support of the lawsuit showing that anglers are already shifting from Southeast Alaska to Southcentral Alaska, where anglers can still catch two fish a day, in response to the one halibut a day rule. Canada also maintains the traditional two halibut daily limit.

The National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) estimates a one halibut daily limit could result in up to a 30% reduction in angler demand in Southeast Alaska—that’s 27,000 fewer people flying into coastal communities that rely heavily on sport fish tourism. Even a 10 percent reduction could put a significant number of charter operators out of business.

The rule adopted by the Secretary makes clear that the rule was issued to address an allocation issue between the charter and commercial halibut sectors, and is not a conservation issue as some have alleged. The rule clearly stated in response to public comments that nothing in the rule affects the health of the halibut stocks, that the International Pacific Halibut Commission has said the stocks are healthy, and that the National Marine Fisheries Service “disagrees” that the rule is necessary for conservation reasons.

Secretary Gutierrez’s support for the one halibut daily limit in Southeast Alaska goes against his ruling only a year ago. In June 2007, the Secretary vetoed a proposed one fish rule for Southeast Alaska because “a reduced bag limit would impose a considerable economic burden on the charter sector that could be mitigated by maintaining the traditional two-fish bag limit,” according to 72 Fed. Reg. 30721 (2007), and that was only for six weeks of the season.

“Certainly, it would be neither environmentally responsible nor good for our businesses if the charter industry was seeking a two-fish limit when the resource was in danger. Regulatory officials repeatedly stated this is not the case. In fact, in our area, the biomass is projected to increase over the next 10 years,” declared Scott Van Valin, owner of El Capitan Lodge and co-founder of the Charter Halibut Task Force.
The recreational halibut fishery -- both charter and unguided -- has operated successfully off Alaska since 1973 under a two halibut a day bag limit. Now, guided anglers in Southeast Alaska face a 1 halibut daily bag limit while unguided fishermen can still catch two halibut a day. The Secretary’s rule is discriminatory against anglers who cannot afford their own fishing boat or do not feel safe fishing in Alaska without a licensed captain due to age, experience, or disabilities.
Charter fishing accounted for only 6.2 percent of the total halibut caught off the coast of Alaska over the last 10 years. By comparison, that is over 12 times less than the 75.8 percent that the commercial halibut fleet harvests, and less than half the 14.6 percent allocated for bycatch (halibut caught incidentally by commercial fisheries targeting other species of fish).

For more information contact Kimberly Tebrugge, 360-480-8117, or visit www.charterhalibut.org.

###
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic