Skiff Matt & Matt's Boat

A Place to Show and Tell
matt moyer

Skiff Matt & Matt's Boat

Post by matt moyer »

Well, Matt and I got our Yamaha 100 four stroke :D . We are just waiting to get the boat back from the welder so that we can put our newly custom T-Top and Flooring in. We are getting excited! Here are some pictures of it totally gutted.

Valco Bayrunner 21

[img][img]http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/file ... gutted.jpg[/img][/img]

Transom

[img][img]http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/file ... ransom.jpg[/img][/img]

Transom 2

[img][img]http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/file ... nsom_2.jpg[/img]
[/img]

Bracket

[img][img]http://www.bloodydecks.com/gallery/file ... racket.jpg[/img][/img]

We will keep you all updated! We should be on the water by next weekend :wink:

TL-Matt
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

Really? Are you sure thats going to be OK?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Have ya ever seen a bracket on a tinnie before?

Are they built for it?

Looking forward to the final product.
matt moyer

Post by matt moyer »

Chaps wrote:Really? Are you sure thats going to be OK?
Not sure what you meant by that?

Jettywolf- We were steered in this direction on the bracket. It's supposed to be awesome. The picture don't do it much justice.

Matt
NUKE

Post by NUKE »

you will be fine .the bracket look terrific weld this sh@t outa it and lets go fishing
NUKE
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

matt moyer wrote:
Chaps wrote:Really? Are you sure thats going to be OK?
Not sure what you meant by that?

Matt
The bracket looks like it is up to the task, I'm not so sure about the mount plate and the strength available in the boat's transom however. The strain put on a transom is huge when you hang a motor like that, particularly when you are slogging your way through tough conditions.

Are you planning to go offshore in your rig?
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

WHATS YOUR CONCEPT???

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Hey Matt,

How much distance is the bottom of the engine bracket to the bottom of the hull do you have? The more the merrier for clean water to let the props run in.

Many alloy builders fail to make the drop from the end of the transom for their extended engine boxes. I think this is done for ease of fabricating by just extending the bottom plates to make the extended engine bracket.

The Armstrong style bolt on extended engine bracket that keeps the end of the bracket up and not interfering with the water as it gets to the outdrive is better IMO. A home made bracket or a bolt on aftermarket built by Armstrong is better.

If you see I should have mounted my Armstrong bracket even higher up on the transom than I did, but even that 3" space got cleaner water to the engine. I put a 1997 Yamaha 225HP on it a week after I got bracket bolted on. I also made the aluminum full transom backwash plate to keep the cockpit dry and it gave me a place to keep my batteries.

Here is an Aluminum Center console pilot console I built for my fishing partner Al a few years ago when I had my 22' Whaler Revenge with my aluminum hardtop.

Where does your fuel cell go? And how much fuel can you carry based on that location. Does it sit above the floor or does it sit down into the vee section of your hull? If it sits on top of the floor, I would consider making a custom vee bottom tank and make it sit from the bottom of the hull to above the floorboard up as tall as I could go to get maximum fuel capacity.

Where will you be putting your batteries, under the transom splash board or are you going to remove the transom splash board and make yourself a new across the transom box to hosue your batteries, live bait well (maybe 40-gallons with rounded corners) and six or seven rod holders???

IMO I would go for a forward leaning window aluminum mini pilot house console with extended top and a center rear top support colum with a couple of rod holders on it and bench seat with food cooler built in it.

In your case, on the outside, I would weld the new bracket to the new transom plate, then I would make a piece of 1/2" thick aluminum plate as wide and tall as possible to go on the inside of your transom . Then I would bolt the bracket on.

What are your plans for the new cockpit floor?

I would also weld in dual gussets from the bottom of the console wide plat plates to the forward and rearward frames to strengthen theose wide flat plates. One of the other viewer on here had a problem with them already being broken/cracked where welded.

Oh Ya, I was half an alloy man, three boats and many years before I built my girl. Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
matt moyer

Post by matt moyer »

That transom area is only halfway done. It's going to look a lot different that when it's done. Our welder has put a bracket on his own boat and it worked out very nicely. My buddy Matt, the brains behind this operation is going to give a beginning to end when we progress a little more. I was just afraid Jettywolf would have our A$$ if we didn't post at least a couple of pictures :lol: . Stay tuned!

Matt
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

haha... :lol: :lol: You don't want to anger the Jettywolf! :lol:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Probably not in your case Matt, but those dang bolt on brackets scare me.

Especially the cheapy glass boats that have them. I've seen brackets pull bolts and whatever else thru. And not to mention any names "PROLINE's"
Been on a clumbsy walkaround that when the boat went to get on plane the engine cover went under water....both. It had twins to boot.

Think about it for a minute (even though it's a thing a lot of boats have) The leverage on a transom, in a NON ALLOY boat. Ain't like it's steel or alloy.
It's all leverage...

Pictures do tell a story. And Marty's story was apparent on the Whaler.
Wet feet, sloshing water and not enough room. Move engine out......now Marty happy. :D That simple.
So pictures are the reel deal.

C'mon! :wink: :wink:
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

DAVE, DAVE, DAVE!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Dave,

That is why I said make as large a plate as possible for the inside to bolt the box onto the transom along with sealing it by welding the bracket to the thiner metal instead of using 5200 on the outside seam.

Matt, I would even consider large gussets from the new inside 1/2" backing plate to the bottom hull stringers to really strengthen it up.

The hardened S/S bolts for the brackets are 1/2" and large heavy thick oversized washers with 5200 under them along with the welding will make a nice setup for you. Drill in a couple of underwater lights in the bracket or bolt on a pair of underwater swimming pool lights on the side of the bracket for night bite action if you don't want to drill the bracket.

Good luck guys. Make sure you keep us with lots of eye wear with updated photos as you proceed! Marty
matt moyer

Post by matt moyer »

Thanks for the response guys! A lot of good ideas, looks like you've all done this before. I was very hesitant about the bracket. I'm kind of an old school fisherman where less is more. My buddy Matt "skiffmatt" guaranteed that the boat would ride better and also give us more room. We will just have to wait and see. What I've read, it's the only way to go.

Matt
IN2DEEP
WON Super Star Donator '08, '09, '10, '11

Post by IN2DEEP »

Here's a view of someone else's 20ft Bayrunner transom to give an idea how they are set-up back there

Hey Matt,
After seeing the pictures your hull sure looks like my current hull... and from the looks of it, you guys do have the V-bottom hull. The hulls that are flat bottom are totally flat in the stern.

Were you guys going to put trim tabs on?
I'd do it in a heart beat for the much improved ride that they give.

If you guys plan to get that boat back in the water by next weekend, you're going to need a crew like they have on "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" :lol: j/k sort of

Keep the progress & pics coming

Scott
1989 22' Walkaround Cuddy Bayrunner
2001 115 Merc. 4 stroke/1988 9.9 Yamaha 4 stroke kicker
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Marty,

That's one radical looking Whaler that you put together!

Hmmm, Half FG and half alloy. Does that mean you turned it "BI"??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

How did the trim tabs work out being close to the center line?

How many more MODS are we going to see from you? ..."THE MODIFIER" I hope there's more!

Scott
Skiff-Matt

holy bajebus

Post by Skiff-Matt »

this is what happens when i give moyer some pics, he shoots to early':shock:'
the pics shown is one plate out of two in a transom rebuild, we are cutting out our splashboard, reinforcing and increasing the size of the gussets and a few more touches. as far as our console/house. we have tapped our cashflow for this year. we are sticking with the simi POS console that came with the rig. i anglegrinded all the cancer off it today. its gonna look nice when we are done. ill give ya a peak up her skirt,"diamond plate" hehe.
looks like i better get the beginning to end thread started.

thank you all so much for the input, this forum truly rocks!
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

IN2DEEP wrote:Marty,

That's one radical looking Whaler that you put together!

Hmmm, Half FG and half alloy. Does that mean you turned it "BI"??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

How did the trim tabs work out being close to the center line?

How many more MODS are we going to see from you? ..."THE MODIFIER" I hope there's more!

Scott
In the Whaler I had no choice but to put the trim tabs there because you couldn't get to the hydralic lines anywhere else but in the transom well. They worked great anyway.

I would really go for the Volvo Boat Trim System over any Bennet Trim Tab system if you going to put tabs on. IMO they are the only tabs for aluminum boats.

For your oversized gussets your going to be putting in, I would make a tight fitting as large as possible 1/2" backing plate with the new gussets welded to it then weld it on and thrugh bolt the bracket bigtime.

The MODIFIER at PLAY!!!

BEFORE PAINT:

AFTER PAINT:

GOTTA PLAY-BEEFY!

CUDDY CABIN ON GLACIER BAY & S/S TEE TOP:

TRIANGLED SHAPED ANTI GLARE SHELF OUT OF LEXAN WITH BOTTOM PAINTED FLAT BLACK TO KEEP THE INSTURMENT GLARE OF REARWARD FACING WINDOWS, LOOKS LIKE A SHELF:

70's AND CUSTOM FEMALE PLAY WAGONS! NOT QUITE THE FISHING INTERIOR>>>
matt moyer

Post by matt moyer »

Scott- That's pretty cool how you inclosed your center console! Like Matt said, we are slowly running out of $$$. We plan on having this boat for a long time, so I'm sure we get to all the extras like trim tabs, ETC. I'm totally digging this website. Aluminum boats are a lot like Kayaks, skies the limit on what you can do with a little imagination. Thanks for the input.

Moyer
Skiff-Matt

Post by Skiff-Matt »

hey moyer

TRIMMMMM TABBBBBBBBBS, hehehe
me likey.

i think we need these!
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Talk about getting me UP on plane quick!!!! THANKS for the plane job!
sandiegosteve

Post by sandiegosteve »

Have you seen this locally on craig's list?
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/709930886.html (while the post is still active)

This is the interesting image from it:
Skiff-Matt

Post by Skiff-Matt »

yep,
i was drooling over that boat a few weeks ago. basically we are converting our half transom to the full transom and bracket you see in that pic.
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Skiff-Matt wrote:
"this is what happens when i give moyer some pics, he shoots to early''

This may be a bit premature........ but now I understand why Matt moyer shoots to early. Blame the trim tabs. :lol:

Mark :oops:

San Diego Steve great pic of what they are trying to do...... Good eyes on that one. Looks clean.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

matt moyer wrote:Scott- That's pretty cool how you inclosed your center console! Like Matt said, we are slowly running out of $$$. We plan on having this boat for a long time, so I'm sure we get to all the extras like trim tabs, ETC. I'm totally digging this website. Aluminum boats are a lot like Kayaks, skies the limit on what you can do with a little imagination. Thanks for the input.

Moyer
Matt- Enclosed yes, CC no. I have the walkaround cuddy model. Not very many around. You mostly see CC's.

What kind of steering are you planning on? Hydraulic or mechanical?

Scott
Skiff-Matt

Post by Skiff-Matt »

bump
Last edited by Skiff-Matt on Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
IN2DEEP

Post by IN2DEEP »

Marty,

Glacier Bay Cat... I knew you had a few more surprises! :shock: There better be some alloy on her or welder is going to fine you!

The enclosure on the Whaler, once painted, some how reminds me of the Apollo space capsule. :D
Last edited by IN2DEEP on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic