opinion needed

Sell or Trade your Alloy boat here
belgianbeast

opinion needed

Post by belgianbeast »

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/ ... &currency=

I have been wanting to go check the boat in link above for a while now. I called the place that sells it and asked them about a certain date. They said no problem. I said that I wanted to take a test ride and they said no problem as long as you make an offer that is accepted and give a 10 cents deposit. What do you guys think of that? Does it sound reasonable or standard procedure? I have not heard of that before but then again I have not test driven boats either. I thought that perhaps it is their system to ensure you are somewhat serious. But then again I will be flying from SC so it is not like I am just looking for a fun ride. Let me know your opinion.
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Good morning and welcome!

There are some boat dealers that will do that as a standard procedure even on new boats. They are just trying to avoid having to give free boat rides to every person that asks for one. Boat brokers probably employ this tactic even more. So to answer your question...I do believe that it is a common practice. {edit - The post from Chaps below is very smart on how to go about the deal. }

I just sold a used boat and several people who called wanted a check ride. I started thinking how much work that will be for me and thought of only giving rides when they gave signed a purchase contract. I had visions of 8 guys showing up with fishing poles and bags of cheetoes and pork rinds looking for a free day on the water. Fortunately, the first guy who saw the boat bought it.

That boat in Alabama looks like a great deal to everyone here and I am suprised no one has bought it yet.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Last edited by S L Dave on Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

That is a screaming deal unless the motor has major problems so have a qualified Honda guy check it out. Some of the 130's had a block problem but Honda fixes those under warranty even if the engine is old. Some will say it isn't enough power for the boat but I disagree. I have a 90hp on my 21 and top speed is about 30 knots, cruise 24 which is enough for me. If you want to go 40 then you will need more motor.

BTW,standard selling procedure for a broker is you make an offer contingent on survey & sea trial along with a check for 10% of your offer and broker presents it to the owner. You & owner negotiate a bit through the broker to get a final number you are both happy with. You get the survey done which in this case will primarily getting an evaluation of the engine cause there can't be anything wrong with the rest of the boat other than wiring, electronics issues, etc. If the motor checks out and you decide to go forward with the deal then you go for the boat ride (sea trial). Run the crap out of it. If she passes your expectation buy the boat (pay the remaining 90%) If at any point along the way you decide your negotiated price no longer matches what you are seeing then either back out and ask for your check back or ask to renegotiate the price to match your new reality.
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

That is a great price.

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

belgianbeast

Post by belgianbeast »

10%. mmmmm. I am pretty sure he said 10cents but it probably is 10%
belgianbeast

Post by belgianbeast »

Everybody I have seen here that owns an alloy boat has a goatee. Is that a requirement? I am not good with them :-). Thanks all for your feedback.
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

belgianbeast wrote:Everybody I have seen here that owns an alloy boat has a goatee. Is that a requirement? I am not good with them :-). Thanks all for your feedback.
What, 10% deposit to take a ride, thats wrong!

Only a goatee for alloy boat owners, thats wrong!

Take a ride and fall in love with the alloy, thats RIGHT!
IMHO!
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Me and Belgianbeast already talked this over via emails.

And to add to my comments inwhich he already knows.

I'd make it REALLY known that if you are coming from states away, putting time and dollars into all this, that you should be able to ride for free.

If not, tell 'em to kiss-off. If it's a broker, tell him he's in the wrong biz.
He ought to be selling crack instead!

A good friend of mine is a used boat broker. He gladly takes serious lookers for rides. But then again he maybe skilled in reading peoples intentions, and generally a really great guy, not a high pressure used car salesman gone into boat sales.

He sold my old boat.....even though I found the buyer. He took care of everything for me.

If this guy doesn't realize your serious coming from that far away. There's a problem.

The gotee I have is because after 16 years with a full beard, I'm letting my face air out for awhile. It has zero to do with being an alloy owner.

I know Sea Fox and Bayliner owners, with gotees. And thats too bad.
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

One of the boats above is mine and I'm not in the picture , I took it and I DON"T have a Goatee.

:wink:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Its up to the owner not the broker if there are going to be boat rides with no earnest money deposit. Most owners don't want their boats taken out unless there is an offer and a deposit showing serious intent. I know I wouldn't let my broker take anyone for a ride on my boat ride without that. Way to many tire kickers in that biz.
Daddy'O
Your location: TX

Post by Daddy'O »

belgianbeast wrote:Everybody I have seen here that owns an alloy boat has a goatee. Is that a requirement? I am not good with them :-). Thanks all for your feedback.
My wife doesn’t have a goatee. :shock: LOL

So no, a goatee is not required for alloy boat ownership. But a tattoo of your boat is – JK

Wayne
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Alloy boat owners have been persecuted for decades by the clean shaven. Back of the line at the ramp..."no gas for you goat face!"... well we all know the rest.

It is time for us to stand up and say ENOUGH.

We are here...we have beards...get used to it!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Simply unmitigated bullshit!!!! Brokers do little and make a lot!!!!

That'd be the day I make an offer and sign over a check for a test ride.......... whether it's SOP for these brokers or not it's just not right!!!

Jay Perotta drove 130 miles towing a pacific in a snow & ice storm to take me on an AM sea trial. He did this so I could make my son's basketball game that afternoon. Didn't have to give him a dime, or a commitment.

That's how dealers/brokers should work!!!

Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Dealers can do whatever they want, they or the factory they represent own the boat. Used boats being sold by brokers belong to private owners who have contracted with the broker (a listing agreement). The listing specifies the process a broker will follow in advertising and selling a boat, its a contract. Any broker who gives potential buyers boat rides with out the permission of the owner is breaching the contract.

Remember, you get your deposit back if after survey and/or sea trial you decide you don't want the boat or if the owner isn't willing to renegotiate the price if you otherwise like the boat but find something wrong (in the survey or sea trial) that is going to require spending money to fix.
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Wow, I surely can see differening opinions on this.

I stilll stand with if your good at what you do as a broker, you'll know tire kicker from a serious inquiry.

Obviously, not all brokers are good at what they do.

I feel for BB, having to deal with an ignoramos.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Quite honestly I would be insulted no matter what the contract reads..............but then again I still believe in looking someone in the eyes, a handshake, and a gentleman's agreement............Unfortunetly many brokers I've spoken believe in one thing............$$$$$$$$$$$
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

You know...I hear what you are saying AT. If everyone was like AlloyToy and Jay (and almost everyone else who is currently on this great site), there would not be the 10% down clause anywhere.

The problem is that there are @holes on both sides of the fence and good people suffer because of it.
Chaps
Donator '09

Post by Chaps »

Not arguing one way or the other, just trying to let you guys know how the yacht brokerage business works. If you don't like it then you should only shop private party ads or new boats.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

Valid points................It's all good........
belgianbeast

thanks

Post by belgianbeast »

Guys,
Thanks for all the reply. I think I will stick with my plan to go try the boat assuming I can make deposit with a check and that I can get out of contract if I am not happy with the ride. I will let you guys know if I become an ally owner. In the mean time, I am living on the 5th to go fish in Marathon Florida for a week. Can I post pics in the fishing section or do the fish have to be caught on an allloy boat? I currently own a 196cc SeaPro with 115 Yamaha and it has been a great boat. I was in keys early May also and we actully went to marathon Humps with it (45 miles out). Probably not the safest thing to do but weather was very good.
Anyway, great day for our rights today. I am sure most of you know but if you do not yet:
http://www.nssf.org/news/PR_idx.cfm?AoI ... 062608.cfm

Belgianbeast
S L Dave

Post by S L Dave »

Yes...the scary thing is that the second amendment barely survived by a 5 to 4 vote.

Lets see those fish!
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

belgian,
who are you fishing with in Marathon? One of my favorite area's in the Keys!!!

We fished with Two Conch Charters (Capt. Jack Carlson) out of Marathon. 2 days in the gulf catching sea trout, snapper, & cobia (YUM!! love cobia) and a day in the Gulf Stream on sails, bonita, and cobia.

Great place enjoy!!!
belgianbeast

Post by belgianbeast »

Dave. I agree with you. it is much to close of a call. I think that all evidences they worked with shows clearly that the true intent of the second amendement was to allow individuals to own and carry. Must be hard for you living in two of the most restrictive states.

Alloy, I just fish with friends down there (that are not from there). I have fished there for over 14 years on average once a year. I am at the point where I can catch fish pretty reliably especially snappers (yellowtail, mangos and muttons). I just started to go after Dolphins but we striked out big time on that. I am sure we will figure it out. But from what I hear, when you find them, you kill them. When you don't find them, you are sol.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10

Post by AlloyToy »

I've had mahi right in behind Block Island RI years back. If you get one on leave it hooked at the surface and stick the rod in a rod holder. all the commotion that the fish creates will attract the school...........

Then take another rod and it will be like pulling weeds one after another :shock: I don't see why it would be different down there........

Good luck and we look forward to the pix

Catch em up
AT
Nat

Post by Nat »

let me know when your coming, if I can get off work I'll go with you on the test ride.

I drive by that boat everyday
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic