Game On

Where & How You Fish Your Alloy Boat
Capt. G
Your location: Gloucester, MA

Game On

Post by Capt. G »

Took my first tuna of the season yesterday. 56"L and huge girth (forgot to measure)

Nothing beats catching these guys on light tackle.

Heading out after the big guys tommorrow. Figure I need at least a couple dozen to buy that new Rock Salt :D [/img]
Capt. G
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Nice job Capt. George!!!! Trolling or spinning gear?
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Fantastic!
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
Sculpin

Post by Sculpin »

That's a real nice fish Capt.G. Good on ya. First one of the year to boot.
Ironwoodtuna
Donator '09 '10
Your location: NY

GAME ON!!!

Post by Ironwoodtuna »

Capt. G.

Nice Job, nice fish!
Did you see the fish working on the surface and start casting on them or were you trolling???

I can' t wait to get back out and go fishing I am lashed to the dock with fuel issues and going to Utha tomorrow til Wed.

Great job and good shishimi!!!

Marty
ImageImage"IRONWOODTUNA" the Alloy Sportfisherman Battleship!
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Your ears must have burning Cappy G.

I was just asking about you, come to find out you were between species I guess according to Bastan Joe.

Damn, it's wide open here and hardly a trip in sight.

I hope you don't cut that thang and eat it on the boat....that's what they make them big fish bags for.
AlloyToy
Donator '08 '09 '10
Your location: Mass

Post by AlloyToy »

Jettywolf........score please :D
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

I believe New Englanders are on top.....again, now. Between your Flounder trip and Cappy G.'s Charlie.

We'll have to see after the west coast meet & greet, if we get any heavy hitters.

And not that Welder is on either coast, he's a Gulf angler. And hope since no other Gulf anglers have stepped up with fish pics, he at least makes an entry when he gets home.

I was really hoping to see our small La. contingent show me the goods, as they are in the a top Trout/Redfish state in the union....with Red Snapper, Wahoo and even Tuna.

Opps I have added a new one this week myself as the ONLY Florida entrant. Leading Fla. to a runner up position?????
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

Took that one trolling as the fish were not showing on the surface. The full moon makes it hard as the fish feed all night and dont seem to bite as well in the daylight...next week will be primo.

I like catching fish of this size on surface poppers and jigging with butterflys as nothing beats the thrill of hanging one these freight trains on light tackle.

Plans for today fell through when my crew mate's wife ended up in the emergency room at 0200. Got some reports of giants yesterday crashing bars so I hope to be out after them soon
Capt. G
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Great looking fish! Go get em Capt. G. You know your killing Marty with this report.

Calm seas and tight lines to you.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

did he just say "popping rod" and "LT-jigging" :?: :?:

DAMN....I wish I could sign myself up fer that. But the Jet's in the shop, and the pilots on strike with no pay.
Jay Perrotta
Sponsor/Donator
Your location: Freeport, Maine, USA

Post by Jay Perrotta »

Those are called "tooners" here in Maine!

Congrats, George.

Vtdownhiller was saying that they're getting big 40 and 50 lb Stripers in their tuna trolls out on Stellwagen- says that it is annoying them!

Give the Stripers a push north - we won't even charge them the toll!
Jay Perrotta
Boston Joe

Post by Boston Joe »

Nice fish George. I will be back in business in a few weeks. I hope to beat my catch of six fish last year. Joe.
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

blacklabmarine

Those are called "tooners" here in Maine!

Congrats, George.

Vtdownhiller was saying that they're getting big 40 and 50 lb Stripers in their tuna trolls out on Stellwagen- says that it is annoying them!

Give the Stripers a push north - we won't even charge them the toll!
Down here we use the pajamas for warmups ...

Took this one with a butterfly in 165ft.

With the Trevala rod it took 2 minutes to land...you can really put the screws to them with that tackle.
Capt. G
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Hello Capt. G, You have some great fish up in the north east corner. I wish we had a simular current as the Gulf Stream our way. Tuna right now entales Trailering 110 miles south and a 40 mile boat ride across the border. Mexican commercial seiners are very agressive and you give them a wide birth.

Occasionally we get stripe bass in the surf but our water system is not very good for their propagation. Fresh water lakes fed from the Colorado river system hold 40+ pound fish. Since this is Southern California no lake water ever makes it to the ocean/

I really like my Butterfly Jigging system and as the summer goes on I think it will do well under the kelp paddies offshore when the fish hang deep. The Trevela rods are amazing being small but mighty.

Have you tried some other jigs other than cod jigs for fish?????

Out here these jigs are deadly.

Keep the fish coming over the rail.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
JETTYWOLF

Post by JETTYWOLF »

Tale O' the Tape:

Shimano jigging rod 6'6" Med. Heavy, loaded with 50# Berkely Stealth braided line, had on a 4 oz. Norwegian jig with double assist hooks.

I was at the inlet just playing around, getting some bend time in the rod, since I haven't been offshore yet to give any of my thousands of dollars worth of jgging tackle a try......offshore fishing means expensive fishing here in J-ville for me.

So I played, then hooked a anchor line someone cut off on the bottom, I could feel the sponginess of it. I was in pretty good current in 60 feet of water, right next to the north jetty rocks.

I pulled and pulled...the mini- 197 Accurate twin drag slipped. So I cranker her up to more drag. I kept pulling as hard as I could, jerking and yanking. I wanted my jig back.

The rod bowed like a 100 pound Amberjack, or a 300 Jewfish was on the end as the boat kept wanting to drift away.

The line finally broke.......I thought!

Instead nothing broke. I came back missing a assist hook, and an Owner 75-90# Split rig straightened out. But was still barely hanging on the solid ring. I had the jig set up like a real free-style set up.

HOLY _ _ _ _!!!!

The rod held under more pressure than I'd ever put on any rod I have ever owned. If it broke I'd just take it back and get a new one, I guess.

Them TC4 constructed rods are bad azz.
And so is that lil' B197 Accurate reel.
ImageImage
Capt. G

Post by Capt. G »

mojomizer wrote: I really like my Butterfly Jigging system and as the summer goes on I think it will do well under the kelp paddies offshore when the fish hang deep. The Trevela rods are amazing being small but mighty.

Have you tried some other jigs other than cod jigs for fish?????

Out here these jigs are deadly.

Keep the fish coming over the rail.

Mark
Pink and silver flat sided butterflys are deadly on ground fish (cod, haddock, pollack etc) up here.

Were are not fishing in the gulfstream on these tuna but a large underwater bank fairly close to shore that holds vasts amount of bait year round. Right now there are some of the big guys moving through and are on the herring...I hope to say hello to one very soon.

Tight lines,
Capt. G
mojomizer
Contributor/Donator '08

Post by mojomizer »

Capt. G thanks for the info..... Maybe next year I'll have to set up a trip. To Cod or not to Cod that is the question. Stripers getting in the way of Tuna fishing........ My head is going to explode.

Ahhhh........................... I was thinking yellowfin tuna traveling up the Gulf stream. Silly me :oops:

Just read Http://www.tagagiant.org/Summary_Nature.shtml interesting.
biggest bluefin I have caught was 101 and 98 lbs. Nothing close to the giants out your way. Wow those fish move. Spawning in the northwestern Gulf of Mexico moving up and down and across the Atlantic.

Goodluck on catching your Giant.

Mark
Mark
2325 WA PACIFICSKIFF
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic