No More Lurking

Introduce yourself here
Kid Creole
Your location: South Florida

No More Lurking

Post by Kid Creole »

Been lurking for a while now but thought I would join up and do some posting. Live in South Fla but was born in La.

Kind of interested in aluminum boats and have some questions I would like to post.

Do these things get real hot?
pjay9
Your location: Tacoma, WA

Re: No More Lurking

Post by pjay9 »

Do you mean the postings or the boats? I'd say yes to both from time to time! Capt PJ :rotfl:
2009 Raider 185 Pro Fisherman, 2005 90Yamaha, 2012 Yamaha9.9HT, 2008 EzLoader roller, 2004 Dodge TCD dually, 2005/2015 Lance1161
Chaps
Donator '09
Your location: Seattle, WA

Post by Chaps »

that's funny cap'n

Actually Kid, the aluminum is a great conductor of temperature so they tend to mimic the water in which they sit. So, yeah, if you boat in areas of 105° water the boat is gonna get pretty toasty. :highfive:

All new members get to ask that question and also the lightning question without getting too much grief! welcome!
1987 24' LaConner pilothouse workboat, 225 Suzuki
please view and like: https://www.facebook.com/bottompainting/
welder
Site Admin

Post by welder »

Kid, first off, WELCOME to AAB. :beer:

I have found that on my Pacific 23 that any of the Alloy that is touching the water or close to it stays pretty much water temperature . There are a coulpe parts of my boat that do get warm to hot and that is the Casting deck an the top of the gunwales when the Temp gets around 95* to 100* .

I have been on NON ALLOY boats that get pretty dang hot in the same locations on the boat . If your Alloy does warm up just use your Raw Water wash down to cool it off.

Solar power is a wonderful thing. :thumbsup:
Lester,
PacificV2325, Honda BF225
Kid Creole
Your location: South Florida

Post by Kid Creole »

Cool the boats don't get hot.

What about lightening?
S L Dave
Donator #1 '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13

Post by S L Dave »

Stolen from the BlackLabMarine site:

Anthony from Long Island wrote us today:

"Is lightening more attracted to an alloy boat versus a NON ALLOY boat?"

I respectfully call this the Miami Boat Show question since the one time we did the Miami Show I spent about 50% of my time answering just this question!

First of all let me premise my answer by saying that you are never, ever safe in a lightning storm. You should do everything in your power to avoid being in a lightning storm - including not going out if storms are predicted and running in when the sky turns that ominous dark suggesting a storm is on its way.

Secondly, I know a lot about lightning - I was, as a young man, a meteorologist in the Marine Corps. I know the science behind lightning as well as the danger of it. Beyond my own knowledge I have checked with various experts on the subject including the National Weather Service and a professional yacht lightning consultant as the answer to this question is very important to be correct.

Finally, the answer is that you are safer in an alloy boat than in a glass boat. Why?

Assuming that you are talking apples to apples and that both boats are the same height above sea level there is nothing about aluminum that is more "Attractive" than glass. Air is a great insulator and thus both glass and alloy provide the same shortcut that the lightning is seeking to ground.

Once lightning has found your boat the metal boat provides a very good conductor for the lightning's current to go to ground whereas the NON ALLOY boat does not. The strike on a glass boat may well run through the boats electrical system which, unfortunately, runs back towards the operator (you!)

Additionally, if you are in one of our boats with either a Hardtop, T-top or Walkaround cabin you are even safer. Lightning consultants encourage you to create a halo of metal or wires around the people on a boat as when the strike hits the current will follow the metal halo away from the operator and crew (You!) and towards the boats perimeter where it will continue along the hull and to ground. All of our superstructures are welded to the boat and thus provide excellent conductivity to ground.

Finally, let me reiterate - you are NOT safe on a metal boat in a lightning storm nor are you safe in a glass boat in a lightning storm. Relatively speaking, though, you are safer in a metal hull than a glass one.

Anthony, I hope that I have answered your question. Please email again, should you have further questions or need clarification.

Black Lab Marine Partners, LLC

207-400-7404
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right."
JETTYWOLF
Contributor/donator/Location Nazi
Your location: JACKSONVILLE FL USA

Post by JETTYWOLF »

You ain't truely a member here unless you tell me, the LOCATION NAZI, you're a Trout fisherman from La. and eat GRITS?
I'm in charge of asking all southerners that. And if you're from La. And if you've been LURKING you ought to know revealing that info, I'd have to ask!

Live and breath dem Troutz.....but stuck in Jax Fla.

C'C'C',mon.

You in "Lala land".....seafoam green, racing stripes and t-back deck ornaments are the norm?Us alloy owners ain't well recieved in FLA. Even up here in Southern Georgia's Largest Southeastern City. :rotfl: :rotfl:
But I blow them away, "I don't use fenders". :mrgreen:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic